Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,277
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: New Host

@JohnnyEager.   Lol....thanks for the name....I guess we are all looking for different things when it comes to a host.now I was sleepy at the time and if I’m honest not awake most of the time but I did like the parts of the presentations I saw.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,499
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: New Host


@kelsey17 wrote:

I think QVC *& HSN have discovered that gentlemen with  accents sell better!!


 

Funny, but it's a turn off for me. They all sound so "infomercial".

Honored Contributor
Posts: 17,857
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: New Host

[ Edited ]

@BrittanyRomance

 

The hosts are NOT your friends, that's nothing but a sales gimmick, they are sales people trying to make you purchase QVC'S merchandise.  Its a GIMMICK...a sales srategy for QVC !!!...

 

The hosts are there to educate me on the products.  While some are more pleasant and watchable than others, (and some make me grab the remote), I'm not going to buy something just to help out a host with her/his sales numbers.....

 

And in "at will" states an employer doesn't even have to give a reason to fire someone..as an HR person you should know that..

 

BUT WHY should the public be privvy to a hosts private employment information and the reason they are gone....You say you should be entitled to it as a "friend" and emotionally attached (or is it just plain being nosey?)....SAY WHAT????  What if the shoe was on the other foot, and you got fired, and co-workers who claimed to be friends demanded to know WHY????

 

Even the hosts that give "their fans"a reason on their personal Facebook Page but might not be telling the truth..(due to legal reasons stated in their contract, OR just plain embarrassment).. Albany..left QVC "to supposedly spend more time with her family",  she immediately went to Australia to work for a vendor, then came back to U.S. and now sells jewelry for a vendor on Evine,  and Patti Reilly never realized her "LA Opportunities". Now Lisa Mason was very public open and very honest with her husband's cancer battle and her own health issue that resulted in her leaving.....

 

I just don't understand anointing hosts with "psuedo celebrity" status...and this fixation.....

 

The hiring of new hosts seems to coincide with doing more live programming on Q2 on a 24/7 basis......That's 3 channels that have to be filled 24/7 363 1/2 days a year and allow for vacations, illness, emergencies etc and then there are meetings to learn about the products ....and sometimes one show includes 2 hosts, and apparently some hosts require another hosts to take care of social media duties! ...Again odd an HR person wouldnt see this

Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to Alfred A. Montapert
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,318
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: New Host


@Kachina624 wrote:

@BrittanyRomance.  Are you saying you think QVC should announce the reason for every host leaving?  Every corporation dismisses people for a variety of reasons but, especially in the case of firing, it's nobody's business why the person is leaving.  Do you think they should announce that Hilda won't be back because she reported to work stinking drunk?  If you work in HR,  you should know better than that.  HR personnal, especially, must keep their lips zipped and not share juicy tidbits of gossip.

 

The thing that galls me but doesn't seem to bother all the people who scream about stores stuffed with imported goods, why must they hire hosts from other countries?  Are there no American citizens who can do the job?


luvitorleaveit wrote:

 

We aren't allowed to give the reason why someone left the company if we get a call for a reference or anything else, we can only give the last day worked.  Legalities.

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 95
Registered: ‎01-29-2019

Re: New Host

Yes, I like men with accents...hmmm let me think about that one.  Okay, thought process is complete.  Men with accents don't make me buy more of anything.  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 17,857
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: New Host

[ Edited ]

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

 

@Kachina624

His name is Anthony Heywood, and yes, I agree that he is very good.

 

I don't want to get into the debate of "American citizen," but here goes.......Anthony was a QVC-UK host for several years before coming to the US.  Why does a British accent automatically make him any less American?  For all we know he could hold dual citizenship.  But even if he doesn't, or doesn't yet, he obviously brings a wealth of experience and talent to the job, making QVC-US that much better for us customers.

 

For all the complaints on this board about less than stellar QVC hosts, it must be apparent that it's not at all easy to hire truly good TV salespeople.  So QVC plucked one from their own roster, who happens to be British.  Good gracious.

 

Meredith Laurence, The Blue Jean Chef, holds dual Canadian and American citizenship.  Who knows when she received her American citizenship.  Was her talent and expertise a travesty to endure all those years?  No, she made QVC that much better.

 

 


@Caaareful Shopper

 

And let me just add...Meredith was a wonderful vendor Rep,  pleasant and knowledgeable....the new Cook's Essesenial vendor representative.....Ill be polite and say....Meredith come back!...No, she's not my friend, just a better Rep.

 

I agree the UK guy was good....

Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to Alfred A. Montapert
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,151
Registered: ‎02-22-2015

Re: New Host

@BrittanyRomance  If you work in HR, you wouldn't be asking such questions. You would know the answers! NO ONE is permitted to give out personnel information ever due to Privacy Laws. Highly unlikely any of the hosts were fired. People move on to better or more challenging positions. You don't really think a sales position at QVC is that great of a gig to stay for a lifetime? Don't know anyone who stays in the same position for a lifetime! That was something our grandparents did. Today, it's move up the ladder or change companies to get ahead.

 

Watch Gabrielle. She's already been back to school and making her moves within QVC. Who knows what her future goals will be? She's an intelligent, professional woman and a go-getter! Doubt you'll see her stay as a host at QVC for the rest of her life. She's too smart for that gig. She may stay with QVC, but she'll move UP and UP way past the host position. 

 

  

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,218
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: New Host

It is none of my business why a host leaves a shopping channel.  I feel the same way about his or her personal life:  it is none of my business, unless s/he starts papering Facebook, Twitter and Instagram with pictures and stories.  Then, all bets are off.

Contributor
Posts: 53
Registered: ‎11-30-2018

Re: New Host


@indoor kitty wrote:

Yes, he is very attractive and I love the accent !


 

 

 

I agree @indoor kitty !

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 149
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: New Host

Who was on with Carolyn at 4 am?