Honored Contributor

I find that it is interesting,but no, I could never climb those stairs.  I have a fear of falling from heights.  Since the railing is see through, I would not be comfortable.

Our local mall has a plexiglass railing on the second floor.  When my children were little, they would run over and look through it to see the fountains on the first floor.  I would freeze right there and go into a panic.  I was afraid for my children, but for the life of me could not go get them. I would just stand there frozen and tell the to come back.

If the railing is high enough and more solid than clear plexiglass,I could enjoy the view from heights.

Right now, there is no way my knees would be able to climb that many steps and I know I could never descend all those steps either.

I live in a two story house and suffer climbing my stairs many times a day to the basement and to the 2nd floor.

Honored Contributor

I don't care for the look of it.

Honored Contributor

They’ve already had a scuffle.

Many of social media influencers discovers the Vessel

has rights to their photos...which is highly unusual.

And this is a big deal since their livelihood depends on these images. 

I’m sure the rights will be lifted out of pressure but....still. 

It’s a public structure. In New York. 

Honored Contributor

Tickets are required, but they're free.  So I'm not sure it qualifies as a "tourist trap," as some have described it.  Was it funded by the Hudson Yards developer?  Public art installation may have been required by the city in exchange for approval of the overall project.  Even so, I'm not sure it was a good use of $200 million.

Respected Contributor

@newjerseygirl wrote:

I have seen this in person.  The west side of Manhattan has an area that was recently developed called Hudson Yards.

It is just above the yard where they keep all the trains. 

That's what you see in the picture.

The High Line goes through Hudson Yards.  It is a great place.  I have walked the High Line a few times.

You have to order tickets two weeks in advance to go in the Vessel (the structure in the picture)

I think Hudson Yards, with residential, retail and recreation is a great addition to the west side of Manhattan.

@newjerseygirl 

I'm not fond of heights but have seen it numerous (in different stages of completion) from the ground up.  I have no desire to go to the top but suspect I will eventually with our Grands.

Hudson Yards will eventually have a population larger than Syracuse. (which is the 5th most populated city in the state)

With St. Patrick's Day and the Big East tournament last weekend, you could not get near Hudson Yards.

Esteemed Contributor

It's an absolutely beautiful structure.  I'm not sure I could make it to the top as I don't do stairs as well as I used to but I'd certainly try.  Coming down would especially be a nightmare though.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

The vessel is ADA compliant!   There's an elevator!

Some concerns are pigeons roosting and at least some of  the steps will need to be cleared of ice and snow in the winter

Respected Contributor

I think it's quite cool and I love to see art interact with life.  I would definitely like to check it out.

Respected Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

The view from inside looking up is amazing.

It's a great place to get your "steps" in.  LOL

@Bri369 

Yes, the interior view reminded me a bit of the Guggenheim.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

This new structure in NYC gives me the creeps.  Apparently it's only purpose is to give the public a place where they can walk up and down and get a great view.

I live in fear of heights and hate glass elevators and stairways and escalators with glass sides.  I'd never make it up to the first level.  I imagine there are many people like me.  Do you hate high places?  Would you visit this place?

https://news360.com/article/491054225

@Kachina624 

I dont like heights either and would pass on this structure ...just like I passed on the Empire State Building Observation Deck.....I did enjoy seeing other sites in NYC ...American Museum Of Natural History, Rockefeller Center, Broadway Theatre District, Ellis Island, St. Patricks Cathdral etc etc....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”