Honored Contributor

@this is my nic, I got that phone call today. They left a message. I deleted it. I knew they would not call. 

Valued Contributor

@this is my nic I got the same call. I said yes I need help and you will need my passwords. They are drop dead and I hung up. The caller sounded like an asian woman and I haven't heard back from her so far. I'm sure another one will try again.

Honored Contributor

@CLEM Next time something happens try clicking on Ctrl Alt Delete keys at the same time. It should bring up your task manager. Click on Task Manager & click on the window you want closed like your Edge Browser, click end task.

Usually if it won't let you close the page this method works.

I had the same thing happen but no voice that I know of but I keep the volume turned down unless I need it.

Respected Contributor

Loveschocolate,  That's astonishing that they left a message!  Too bad you deleted it, it might serve as evidence.  These people are relentless!  I normally don't answer my phone if I don't know the name or number on caller ID, but this must have had some ID that made me answer. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, that's an old tactic to gain access to your computer.  I first had it happen to me about 5 or 6 years ago.  It happened a couple of times after that.  Honestly, it's a clumsy scam and I would assume that most people would know better than to call the number.  A message like that doesn't make any sense.  I think I was nervous the first time because I couldn't exit or sign off.  I just let the charge run out and it was fine when I charged up and signed on.  I rebooted and had tech support check for malware or malicious software.  There wasn't any.  There probably would have been if I called that number.  I never had the audio but I might have had the sound off.  

Honored Contributor

@CLEM@chrystaltree@this is my nic@Nightowlz@shopperqvc

A family member somehow fell for it and paid $300 to “them” to “fix” their laptop.

Then, it happened again three weeks later.  Geek Squad

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Re: New Computer Scam

[ Edited ]

@CLEM  I have not experienced your issues online, but the Microsoft scam calls bring out the worst in me.  I like playing with them.

1.  "We don't have a computer..."  (hang-up by MS)

2  "We don't run Microsoft, We run Linux"  (hang-up by MS)

3. (My favorite) "We just bought this house new 2 years ago and our windows are fine!? " (Another hang-up.)

Haven't had any calls in awhile...( I at least feel I'm taking some of their time from bothering other people.  Smiley Happy

Denise
Honored Contributor

@CLEM,

Thanks for posting this info. Sometimes people go into panic mode and may do something foolish!

https://www.picgifs.com/comment-gifs/h/have-a-nice-day/animaatjes-have-a-nice-day-3951372.gif

Honored Contributor

I use a MacBook Pro.  A week or so ago, I had a glaring message on my screen that three viruses were detected, blah, blah, blah.  All looked very "official".  I turned off the computer, waited a few minutes then turned it back on.  Did a Malwarebyte scan.  Nothing found.  All is well. (Thankfully!). But those pop-ups sure do get your attention!!!!  Scary stuff!

Trusted Contributor

I got several voice mails recently, supposedly from the IRS. The beginnig was always cut out, but essentially I was going to be taken into custody if I didn't call and "resolve the problem." I didn't believe it for a minute but I feel bad for any gullible person who calls back and gives their SSN.

I did reverse phone lookups on each one, indicating they were high risk spam. And each one came from a different state! All southern states.