Valued Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

Toys are just for fun and a form of escapism for kids. Do we really have to do this? I know of no girls when I was growing up who thought Barbie was supposed to represent in reality who we were. Come on!! It's a toy for the love of pete

I'm black.  My parents always went out of their way to find black dolls for me as a child.  I'm between the ages of 35 to 45.  It could be a challenge to find dolls of color.  I'm the color of the "tan" models QVC uses for make up.  It was rare to have a doll exactly my shade.  My dad once painted my mask for Halloween.  It was great.  Every person of color who saw it that night wanted to know where my parents bought it.  It was a princess costume.  It would have been great to have a diverse group of Barbies to choose from.  It's good for children to see themselves in the world around them.  

Trusted Contributor

I loved Barbie, Ken, and Midge when I was a kid. And their outfits.  Still do.  But I never wanted to be a doll, ever.  I never thought about looking like the dolls.  I always considered them as just beautiful toys with changeable, beautiful outfits. 

Esteemed Contributor

Its about time! Good for Mattel.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Contributor

Me too!

Honored Contributor

Barbie made her mark on me when I was a kid.  Here's my only gripe to Mattell. 

Sell more clothes for the new Barbie and Ken sihouettes.  They crank these dolls out and don't make clothes to fit them.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Contributor
Where’s the bad skin and acne taking accutaine Barbie??? This is too much! I remember loving my barbies and all my dolls. I never felt body shamed or anything. It was all about the clothes and hair for me. Why oh why do we have to make everyone feel “included”?? Like everyone gets a trophy.

I just don’t agree with all this nonsense these days
Honored Contributor

Re: New Barbies for 2020

[ Edited ]

It's not like Mattel is doing this out the goodness of their heart, kidding me. They're in the business of making money and so the more people they can appeal to means more money. Nothing heart-warming about that.

Honored Contributor

My husband belongs to a hiking group. They have been hiking the Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania, one weekend at a time.

The hiking group is coming up on their final hike of the trail in Pennsylvania. So my husband has been searching for a "hiking Barbie".  He tried yesterday at Walmart and said he found tons of different Barbies but no hiking Barbie.

Honored Contributor

@CBonifacio wrote:
Where’s the bad skin and acne taking accutaine Barbie??? This is too much! I remember loving my barbies and all my dolls. I never felt body shamed or anything. It was all about the clothes and hair for me. Why oh why do we have to make everyone feel “included”?? Like everyone gets a trophy.

I just don’t agree with all this nonsense these days

". Why oh why do we have to make everyone feel “included”??'"

Uh, because it's nice? Most people like to be nice, particulalrly to children.

As to participation trophies, have you never gotten a certificate of completion for taking a class or a goody bag at the end of an event? That's all a participation trophy is. If getting one didn't damage you, the rest of the world will be fine too.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr