Trusted Contributor

Barbie has taken on some new shapes, colors and themes including vitiligo and baldness.  I confess to not being sure if Ken has a new rocker look or if it is a transgender Barbie. It is Ken.  I particularly appreciate the wheelchair, prosthesis and bald Barbie.  1 in 4 Barbies sold have been the wheelchair version.  Right on Mattel!

Mattel's new line of Barbies. MUST CREDIT: Mattel handout photo

Honored Contributor

Re: New Barbies for 2020

[ Edited ]

Amazing... Ken with long blonde hair... Excluding the vintage models, there are thirty current versions of Ken (or some sort of male doll) alone... Mattel must be raking it in... There's even a model with a man bun...

Image for BARBIE KEN CORE CAREER DOLL 2 (CP4) from Mattel

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

Man Bun Ken must be a barista. 

Honored Contributor

Why is there never a pudgy or obese Barbie?  They idealize her figure but then add all of these variations.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Why is there never a pudgy or obese Barbie?  They idealize her figure but then add all of these variations.

Didn't they make a pudgy one?  Not sure if they still do.  And a tall one?

Honored Contributor
Love the wheelchair, prosthesis; and bald.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Please don’t flame me but I have to disagree what is being done to Barbie. I am over 65. I grew up with Barbie, got my first one with the long blonde ponytail in 1960(I think). I never felt body shamed by the doll. She was beautiful and fun. She had beautiful clothes and if you ever read her books and magazines she had fun adventures and great friends. I think it’s great to make a line of all inclusive dolls but why not make them not Barbie? Same goes for Ken. Just my opinion. Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: New Barbies for 2020

[ Edited ]

@PilatesLover wrote:

Barbie has taken on some new shapes, colors and themes including vitiligo and baldness.  I confess to not being sure if Ken has a new rocker look or if it is a transgender Barbie. It is Ken.  I particularly appreciate the wheelchair, prosthesis and bald Barbie.  1 in 4 Barbies sold have been the wheelchair version.  Right on Mattel!

Mattel's new line of Barbies. MUST CREDIT: Mattel handout photo

@PilatesLover   The blonde wheelchair Barbie was available at Wal-Mart last year. 

The Barbie with vitiligo was also available and was also AA.

The Barbie with the artificial leg was blonde, same leg, but the leg was grey in color.

The long hair Ken was also available.

These are probably updated for 2020.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624   There is a "curvy" Barbie and was available at Wal-Mart last year.  I don't know if it is still available.  She was white with brown hair.

The doll was obviously "pudgy" but using the word "curvy" was apparently more sensitive (PC).

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624: How about adding Ken to that LOL!!! 415 - Edited.jpg