Honored Contributor

Re: New Baby, Gift or No Gift?

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Maybe the baby hasn't come yet, they may just be aware that they're having a girl, hence the sticker on the envelope.

Especially since the young woman's grandmother didn't mention the birth or name either.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom   Baby was due in January so I assume she's here or else it's the longest pregnancy in history.  lol

Honored Contributor

I'd be thrilled (underline 'thrilled') that I received a Thank You card,  handwritten.

I probably would call another relative, asking about 'this and that', the name of the new baby girl, etc.  A nice, pleasant conversation.

Congratulations to your family!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Baby showers.  Did you know in some European countries, they don't do this stuff? There is something like a celebration after the child is born.  My mother was upset when my friends wanted to throw a baby shower.  I was still pregnant.  She was so upset about it, I had to cancel it and had one after my son was born.  It might be about miscarriages, child mortality, etc.  

If you buy something for the baby, in Latin and South American countries, you never buy the color red.   Come to think of it, I've never seen red color baby clothes.

If i don't know what to get, get a card with a check in it.

Respected Contributor

Personally, I would not send another gift.  The shower gift IS a new baby gift.   

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird  Completely agree about baby showers. I offered to have one for a good friend but fortunately decided not to.  The baby was stillborn.

Wait until after the child is here and then celebrate.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is refreshing that you received a handwritten thank you for the shower gift, though somewhat delayed.  Since she was late with the thank yous perhaps the birth announcements will be late also.

It seems from this post you are more concerned about the social media aspect of such events.

If you really want to send a gift, then pickup the telephone and call your sister in law and ask about the baby.  Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Yes, we live in a very social networked society.  However I have not yet experienced an occasion where a family member ignored the social graces of sending a printed announcement, event notification or thank you.  Guess I am lucky. 

I do have a Facebook account, but not in my current name, I am heavily locked down, and have only a handful of family members as friends. I have no qualms about privacy concerns because I don't have any work, school or location information listed nor have a picture posted.  I did not grow up in the social media age, but it is nice to have to just check in on family members who do wish to use that avenue to share.

Honored Contributor

I think it's completely up to you if you want to send a gift.  However, if you were to be invited to see the baby, you should absolutely bring another gift.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

DD and I were invited to a baby shower in early Dec. 2018 for DH's sister's Grand Daughter.  We had no idea her 2 yr. marriage was kaput and she was with a new guy and pregnant. We are not on Facebook and the whole clan lives and dies via social media. That's fine, it's the way of the world. However, we do get written invitations to gift related events. We couldn't attend the shower but sent very nice gifts.  We just, this week, got a thank you note, never got an announcement.  The envelope had a pink sticker on the back flap "It's a girl".  It was a handwritten thank you but no picture or even mention of the baby. No DOB, name,nada. Yes, I could call but I was curious as to how long it would take to find out without being on Facebook.  I would normally buy a baby gift but I'm on the fence. I love buying baby gifts.  So, a gift or not.  For me, I have no interest in Facebook for a variety of reasons, privacy issues being #1.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

You do not need to send another gift.

Lucky you even got a hand written thank you card, in this day and age of internet social media communication.    Like it or not,  it is the way many, mostly young people, share information in the digital age.    Smiley Very Happy

Why not join Facebook?  You’ll probably find all the answers to your questions.  And more.   Smiley Wink

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

OP should be happy she received a nice handwritten thank you note. Asking for anything more from a distant relative is just asking for too much.

"Pure Michigan"