Respected Contributor

Re: New Baby, Gift or No Gift?

I never had a baby shower for either of my children. I am just not into that kind of stuff. When my husband and I got married we sent invitations requesting no gifts. We loved it. We didn't want gifts.we just wanted friends and family. We all had a great time!
Honored Contributor

If you normally would buy a gift, but it.  An invitation to the shower and thank you note was sent.  It's not as if you've been excluded.  It's a happy event.

Trusted Contributor

The baby shower was in December and you just now got the thank you note! Wow. I don't think I would send another gift as you already gave one and that should be enough. If you want to then fine but your shower gift should be your gift. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Does your SIL not have a phone in Florida?  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35  Yes, SIL has a phone in FL.  I have called them twice since they left in Oct.  They, however, only call one other brother while they are down there. That's the branch of the family tree that is the "no news zone"..Ran into SIL once at grocery store and she asked if I knew she'd had a heart procedure.  No, I didn't know. They keep 80% of us in the dark.  DH came home one day and said X (his niece) had gotten married, she had been widowed earlier. Again, how would we know.  It's weird but that's the way they are. Everything is a secret.  We don't need to know every little thing but heart procedures and weddings would be helpful.  I will call another SIL or a niece and find out about the baby.

Esteemed Contributor

I have nieces that try the "double gift" thing. I do the gift for one event: either the shower or the birth. I send a card for the other--nothing else.  

Contributor

I just went to my niece's baby shower. Went the baby is born, will probably purchase something or send a card with $.  There will also be a Christening.  Nevermind that I have at least 3 bridal showers, 3 weddings, and 1 graduation that I know of so far.  Very expensive year!

Honored Contributor

It depends on how close I am to the parents whether I get a baby gift or stop at the shower gift.

I've done it both ways.  My cousin and his wife are the most recent to have kids. Since he is like my brother and he calls his kids my nieces, I did a shower gift for the first plust a baby gift when she arrived.  For the second there was no shower so I did a baby gift when she arrived.  

I've had relatives in the past that I'm not all that close to and I give them a shower gift and that's it.    

Esteemed Contributor

@vermint wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2  For me a baby shower gift IS a baby gift. Just my opinion.

@CrazyKittyLvr2  What @vermint  said.  

IMO she's pretty far removed to start with...DH's sister's grandaughter.  

Is she looking for/expecting a gift?  It doesn't sound like it from your original post.  You got a TY for the shower gift but no announcement.  You assume it's a girl from the pink sticker but how do you really know?  Nobody told you.  (I haven't read all of your posts on this.)

I'm not one for those "shotgun" social media announcements.  I don't spend a lot of time there.  If they want me to know something, they need to tell me.

A couple of family members started the "Merry Christmas" on FB a couple of years ago.  Reminded me of the Christmas wishes via local newspaper several years ago.  Just not my style.  Since it appears they don't care about cards, I don't bother them with them.

But I digress.

You've given a gift.  Done.  IMO.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

My baby shower was held after DD was born. First because if something bad happened and 2nd back then you didn't know the gender until you delivered.

When I was pregnant I said I didn't care about whether it was a girl or boy, just  healthy.baby.  My dear Mother-inlaw informed me that there was "nothing" on their side of the family that would result in a problem with our child.   Translation: God forbid something was wrong it would have been my fault. No pressure.  I wasn't alone, message to all DILs anything amiss was from your side.  Everything from allergies to not being good at any school subject.