Honored Contributor

Never have I experienced such Toxic filthy air like right now in Seattle area!

[ Edited ]

0A184605-900F-4E65-9F15-830CCA61F997.jpegOMG! I am afraid to go out to the mail box or just clean up the dog yard... regular masks (unless you have a N 95 mask), do nothing to protect you form the tars and toxic stuff in this smoke.    They say breathing it in for a half hour is like smoking 25 cigarettes!

It looks like a cloudy overcast day... but it is just the thick layer of smoke. It is like a yellow murky haze outside. In the picture you normally see mountains in the distance...instead it looks like pea soup fog.

Should get better towards Monday.... with the pandemic and now this.... I do not want to leave the house. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Never have I experienced such Toxic filthy air like right now in Seattle area!

Just imagine how the families feel who have lost their homes and loved ones.

My heart goes out to them.Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Never have I experienced such Toxic filthy air like right now in Seattle area!

[ Edited ]

My Sister lives in Vancouver,WA, and works as a hotel manager, in Clackamas, OR. Clackamas county, the rural areas, have been hit hard, by the fires.  Their hotel is full, with fire refugees.  Apparently all of the hotels and motels, in the county are full.

I saw on the news, last night, that Vancouver, B.C,, Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco, were experiencing some of the worst air quality, in the world, for major cities! 

I'm across the mountains, in Spokane. due to wind direction, our air quality hasn't been bad, but, we've been warned, that's going to change dramatically, In the next few days. 

Far worse than air quality, there is a small town, near here, Malden, that was 80% destroyed! It's hard to even comprehend that!

Horrible, sad situation! 

Respected Contributor

You are correct, IG.  Many are suffering far worse than probably the original poster and certainly myself, nevertheless it's very difficult for us too.  Already so confined from the virus, but with the ability to garden and walk the neighborhood, now that's gone too.  You are right, we need to count our blessings.

Trusted Contributor

As someone with asthma who now cannot be near an open fire be it in a fireplace or outside campfire, I don't know what I would do if in this situation...go to the hospital? Leave the state? 

So much destruction and suffering on so many levels. Smiley Sad

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

You would need to get an air purifier for inside the house and stay in.  Maybe 2 air purifiers.  Run the A/C for whatever that filter can do.

Respected Contributor

the air quality here is so bad, we haven't been able to see the tree ridge across the road in about four days. It's horrid! The entire county is at a level 1. Several towns around us are just gone. 

Super Contributor

I'm in the Seattle area also, and it's just horrendous outside. They say to stay inside, the PNW has the worse air quality right now in the WORLD!     Everything that has happened in the last 8 months plus now these terrible huge fires.  It's so stressful seeing the destruction and loss of life and property and I feel so terrible about the folks hurt and displaced.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

0A184605-900F-4E65-9F15-830CCA61F997.jpegOMG! I am afraid to go out to the mail box or just clean up the dog yard... regular masks (unless you have a N 95 mask), do nothing to protect you form the tars and toxic stuff in this smoke.    They say breathing it in for a half hour is like smoking 25 cigarettes!

It looks like a cloudy overcast day... but it is just the thick layer of smoke. It is like a yellow murky haze outside. In the picture you normally see mountains in the distance...instead it looks like pea soup fog.

Should get better towards Monday.... with the pandemic and now this.... I do not want to leave the house. 

it's been that bad and worse here. On Wednesday, the sky was a dark red, the sky was so filled with smoke, yet people were out and about. 

I wasn't, but others were.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden I'm really sorry you are dealing with this.  My heart goes out to everyone affected by these terrible fires.

I hope you have an air cleaner in your house to help.  Is your dog doing ok?