Honored Contributor

Re: Nevada's "BURNING MAN" festival

[ Edited ]

feline groovy wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

I never even knew that they built a temporary airport out there.  But each year there are zillions of people coming through here, by car, on their way.  

They usually fill up my grocery store, which is weird because it's expensive and nowhere near the freeway.  I have learned to try and stay away on the days when everybody is on their way there.   Not, of course, because I have anything against them.  I just don't like crowds.  (I just realized how that might sound-yikes!)    I tend to go places as much as possible at the 'off' times so as to avoid crowds.  Smiley Happy

Same here, babe.  Smiley Happy

Smiley Happy   I've never been to this event but I imagine that if I knew about it when I was younger (much) I probably would have checked it out.  It's wayyyy out in the desert.

Oddly, I've lived in this area (NW Nevada - West of Reno) for some 35 years and I don't think I've known about Burning Man for more than 10-15 years.  

Oh yeah, the heat has to be horrid!  I handle heat even less well than I handle crowds.  ha!    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I never even knew that they built a temporary airport out there.  But each year there are zillions of people coming through here, by car, on their way.  

They usually fill up my grocery store, which is weird because it's expensive and nowhere near the freeway.  I have learned to try and stay away on the days when everybody is on their way there.   Not, of course, because I have anything against them.  I just don't like crowds.  (I just realized how that might sound-yikes!)    I tend to go places as much as possible at the 'off' times so as to avoid crowds.  Smiley Happy

But I'd make an exception for this.

I would 'just' need to have an A/C pack strapped to my bod.

And arrive there in an air-conditioned motorhome.

;-)

Smiley Happy   I've never been to this event but I imagine that if I knew about it when I was younger (much) I probably would have checked it out.  It's wayyyy out in the desert.

Oddly, I've lived in this area (NW Nevada - West of Reno) for some 35 years and I don't think I've known about Burning Man for more than 10-15 years.  

Oh yeah, the heat has to be horrid!  I handle heat even less well than I handle crowds.  ha!    

*Me, too; for sure.

*from Wiki...

Burning Man

Burning-Man.svg
Lightmatter burningman.jpg

Burning Man is a week-long annual event that began in San Francisco's Baker Beach in 1986 and migrated to the Black Rock Desert in northern Nevada

*Even though it's northern  Nevada and dry heat, it's still hotter than Hades!  

Valued Contributor

How cool!  I had read an article about the festival but couldn't quite wrap my brain around it.  Looks kind of fun, though chances are ultra-slim that I would ever get there.  Thank you so much for posting all this information and beautiful pictures!

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Honored Contributor

SO cool...

I love art and visuals, so I can imagine how unreal - and sometimes surreal - it must be in-person.  Cat Tongue

burning-man

CMT4irhWEAAutyx.jpg (599×337)

burning-man1.jpg (600×426)

Burning-Man-White-ladies.JPG (480×320)

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

;-)

*Me, too; for sure.

*from Wiki...

Burning Man

Burning-Man.svg

Burning Man is a week-long annual event that began in San Francisco's Baker Beach in 1986 and migrated to the Black Rock Desert in northern Nevada

Oh yeah.  It's not high desert like where I am.    You might as well be in Southern Nevada for the type of desert it is when you head out east of here!    Eastern N. Nevada is just one giant flatland.

It gets plenty hot enough even here (I'm at about 5,000 above sea level), though.  I just HATE the heat and live for cold temps and even snow.  Smiley Happy  We get less snow every year here, though.  That is making me a very sad little chicken.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@SHIRAZ wrote:

How cool!  I had read an article about the festival but couldn't quite wrap my brain around it.  Looks kind of fun, though chances are ultra-slim that I would ever get there.  Thank you so much for posting all this information and beautiful pictures!

Thank YOU, Shiraz.  Woman Happy

I'm on the east coast/Mid-Atlantic so it's doubtful for me as well.  ;-)

But hey, ya never know...

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

;-)

*Me, too; for sure.

*from Wiki...

Burning Man

Burning-Man.svg

Oh yeah.  It's not high desert like where I am.    You might as well be in Southern Nevada for the type of desert it is when you head out east of here!    Eastern N. Nevada is just one giant flatland.

It gets plenty hot enough even here (I'm at about 5,000 above sea level), though.  I just HATE the heat and live for cold temps and even snow.  Smiley Happy  We get less snow every year here, though.  That is making me a very sad little chicken.  Smiley Sad

I'll send you as much frost and snow as I can, chicky, packed in dry ice.

And wave a magic wand over it beforehand, so that it never ever melts.

Heart

CA is a great place overall, but...  ;-)

The crisp and not-humid 40's and 50's are my fave temps, so autumn is my season.

I (mostly) enjoy the winter, too. 8) 

Honored Contributor

That reminds me that one year, when we actually got measurable snow, I saved a bunch of it.  I put it into several large Lock & Locks and into one of my freezers.

Then a year or so later (probably during spring or summer) I pulled it all out and piled it up in the backyard for Ru to play in.  I got a few pics.  It was pretty cute!  He loved it!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I love to see the structures they build.  The photos are beautiful. 

A friend attends once in a while and loves it. 

I wouldn't probably like it, as I don't like crowds and try to avoid the sun. I love the look of the things they build there.

Honored Contributor

a relative has participated in this since it's beginning.  The heat would be hard, but he tells me it is so beautiful, and they love it.  great inventions and work