Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nevada's "BURNING MAN" festival

@sunshine45 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

i dont think it is my scene.......i have read a lot though about the various secks tents. i wonder if people with young children just avoid those areas?

Tents??? Where did you read that. If it happens, I am sure nothing is going on there that doesn't sometimes go on at public beaches or campgrounds. There are many people there who take Winnebago motor homes, small trailers, etc. to stay for the duration. The people I know who go are regular businessmen who are also creative artists. They have never mentioned anyting objectionable there.

have read some blogs about the experiences at this event. it is also mentioned on their website.

Here’s the inside skinny that will make your journey through the secsual side of Black Rock City more pleasant.

• Figure out what you want. Love? Secks? Your wildest fantasies? It’s all there for the taking. And for goodness sake, make sure the person across from you wants the same thing. If she or he doesn’t, there are 500 others who do. Don’t go breakin’ no hearts.
  • Be respectful. Just because people are walking around naked does not necessarily mean they wish *you* were naked in a small enclosed space with them. Learn to take no for an answer, and don’t be afraid to use the “n” word yourself.
  • Pay attention to your body. The desert is a dangerous place, and the climate alone will push you to the limit physically. Get plenty of rest, monitor your substance intake and carry water with you at all times (you also have to drink the water).
  • Always play safe. If your budget for supplies didn’t include condoms, stop by and see the fine folks at Safer Secks Camp. They’ll hook you up.
  • Make love to the playa, and she will love you back. Become one with the sun, the stars, and the omnipresent dust. (Word up to Annie Sprinkle for that piece of advice.)
  • Don’t be afraid to try new things. If there was ever a space for exploring, this is it! Who knows, you may even like it and want to do it again…and again and again….
  • Take responsibility for your own pleasure. You can find anything your little heart desires, but you have to ask for it first! If you don’t get what you want, look in the mirror.

As I said, if that kind of stuff is going on, it's not what the majority are doing. None of the people I know who attend are going there for that. Stuff happened at Woodstock too, but it wasn't the majority. I think the overall idea of what is stated above is to find personal freedom, be safe, and respect others while you enjoy all the creative displays in the desert. You can find just about every kind or type of individual attending, the same as you find in society. They don't all fit into  a mold.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2736228/Debauchery-desert-Wife-swapping-Orgy-tents-Drugs-tap...

Leave it to the British tabloid Daily Mail to focus on the prurient interests of its readers. I've heard tales about Glastonbury too when I was there. I take it with a grain of salt. There's good and bad wherever uou go.

Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

i dont think it is my scene.......i have read a lot though about the various secks tents. i wonder if people with young children just avoid those areas?

Tents??? Where did you read that. If it happens, I am sure nothing is going on there that doesn't sometimes go on at public beaches or campgrounds. There are many people there who take Winnebago motor homes, small trailers, etc. to stay for the duration. The people I know who go are regular businessmen who are also creative artists. They have never mentioned anyting objectionable there.

have read some blogs about the experiences at this event. it is also mentioned on their website.

Here’s the inside skinny that will make your journey through the secsual side of Black Rock City more pleasant.

• Figure out what you want. Love? Secks? Your wildest fantasies? It’s all there for the taking. And for goodness sake, make sure the person across from you wants the same thing. If she or he doesn’t, there are 500 others who do. Don’t go breakin’ no hearts.
  • Be respectful. Just because people are walking around naked does not necessarily mean they wish *you* were naked in a small enclosed space with them. Learn to take no for an answer, and don’t be afraid to use the “n” word yourself.
  • Pay attention to your body. The desert is a dangerous place, and the climate alone will push you to the limit physically. Get plenty of rest, monitor your substance intake and carry water with you at all times (you also have to drink the water).
  • Always play safe. If your budget for supplies didn’t include condoms, stop by and see the fine folks at Safer Secks Camp. They’ll hook you up.
  • Make love to the playa, and she will love you back. Become one with the sun, the stars, and the omnipresent dust. (Word up to Annie Sprinkle for that piece of advice.)
  • Don’t be afraid to try new things. If there was ever a space for exploring, this is it! Who knows, you may even like it and want to do it again…and again and again….
  • Take responsibility for your own pleasure. You can find anything your little heart desires, but you have to ask for it first! If you don’t get what you want, look in the mirror.

As I said, if that kind of stuff is going on, it's not what the majority are doing. None of the people I know who attend are going there for that. Stuff happened at Woodstock too, but it wasn't the majority. I think the overall idea of what is stated above is to find personal freedom, be safe, and respect others while you enjoy all the creative displays in the desert. You can find just about every kind or type of individual attending, the same as you find in society. They don't all fit into  a mold.

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

its definitely going on.......because that is directly from the burning man website. i just question the "appropriateness" of people saying they would love to take their kids or grandchildren. i have never been so i dont know how prevalent it is, nor do i know how prevalent nudity is......but i am not sure anyone else on this thread has ever been either to give us a personal experience. i do know a lot of people have said they would love to go. it is interesting, to say the least, but definitely not my scene.....especially since i am not even into camping or the heat. if it is your scene (whatever scene that may be) then i am sure it would be an awesome experience.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

My friends go. I've never wanted to because I hate the heat. They always have fun but come back terribly sunburned. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Trusted Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:
@shoekitty, Saturday night and the crabby patties come out.

Has NOTHING to do with "crabbies". The BM festival is a loser draw.

Honored Contributor

Smaug wrote:

My friends go. I've never wanted to because I hate the heat. They always have fun but come back terribly sunburned. 

i dont get sunburned usually, but i HATE the heat also.......and i am not a camper either.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

This sounds like an interesting event !
Esteemed Contributor

I love Burning Man Feline Groovy. I went to the 2nd of 3rd one in the 80's by total accident. I was at a Grateful Dead concert and a couple people we met were going and we went with. It was at a place called Baker Beach then. I loved it. It has the same carefree vibe as a Dead show in a way.

I went back again in 2005 with my then boyfriend, now husband. While he loves music he has just never been to a music festival or a Grateful Dead or Phish show to prepare him. You can always tell the newbies because they walk around with their mouth open for like 3 hrs. WE HAD SO MUCH FUN. He can be a little straight laced so I was a little worried, but he really loved it! It is a really fun experience. We went back in 2007 and 2008 but haven't made it back since.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

its definitely going on.......because that is directly from the burning man website. i just question the "appropriateness" of people saying they would love to take their kids or grandchildren. i have never been so i dont know how prevalent it is, nor do i know how prevalent nudity is......but i am not sure anyone else on this thread has ever been either to give us a personal experience. i do know a lot of people have said they would love to go. it is interesting, to say the least, but definitely not my scene.....especially since i am not even into camping or the heat. if it is your scene (whatever scene that may be) then i am sure it would be an awesome experience.

Well, the whole thing takes place on a very large cavass, and some of the displays are truly beautiful, espeically lighted at night. i imagine that kids would enjoy it, and I doubt they would even be exposed to any of the stuff you mentioned because it's not a huge part of the celebration. I know what my limitations woild be camping in the desert since I don't do well in extreme heat, plus the winds that come up blow silicon in your eyes, and you breath the dust. I have asthma, so I dont think that would be good for me. I envy my friends who have attended. Maybe if I were in my 20's, I'd go, but now I will be content to hear about it from friends and look at the spectacular pictures.

Valued Contributor

very distasteful