Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Nevada man first in US confirmed to have had two strains

People seem to think that wearing a mask provides 100% protection from the virus. They seem puzzled when someone that always wore a mask gets sick. Other than N95 masks worn with eye protection, the masks the general public wears help to contain their saliva which cuts down on the amount of droplets sprayed outward. This cuts down on the chances for others to become infected but it by no means stops all infections. Even the staff at hospitals in which double PPE  is worn have had a few cases of staff member infections. 

When demasking, say inside your car, on the ride home from the store, you can touch the outside of your mask, which could be crawling with virus. You might put hand sanitizer on when you sit down, and then demask. The mask, the door handle, the seat,th steering wheel can all have virus on it. You touch them after you sanitize and then touch your face, rub your eyes. Voila, you become infected. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Calcgirl wrote:

I contracted Covid and seldom leave my home and when I do I wear an KN95 mask, eye glasses and gloves. Sanitize everything including my purse and I stiil got it! As far as I could tell the stores I went into everyone had a mask on as required.

@Calcgirl One way you could have gotten it was by handling your glasses when you got home. They could have had virus on them. Additionally, KN95 masks do not provide complete protection when worn. You could have tracked virus right into your home on your shoes when you returned from the store. When you demasked you could have touched virus on the outside of your mask. When you degloved you could have touched virus on the outside of the gloves and then touched your face or put fingers with virus on your face. You did the best you could to protect yourself and others. These protective measures are helpful but not perfect. I'm glad you've recovered. 

Trusted Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Calcgirl wrote:

I contracted Covid and seldom leave my home and when I do I wear an KN95 mask, eye glasses and gloves. Sanitize everything including my purse and I stiil got it! As far as I could tell the stores I went into everyone had a mask on as required.

How do you think you got it? Have you narrowed it down and care to share? This is really practical info for everyone.

I have no idea where I contracted the virus since as I stated earlier I barely go to the stores, maybe once a month. The only stores I was in were Frys Food store, Costco and PetsSmart. Frys was one day, and the next we went to Costco and Pets Smart.  I sanitize eveerything when I return home, wear a mask and disposbale gloves and sanitize the car handles.  In Pets Smart there was a man without a mask further down the aisle.

Honored Contributor

I saw on a crawler this morning as I watched GMA that 94% of people who have died from Covid-19 have underlying medical conditions.

I have no idea where they got that stat from, just repeating what I saw. 

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I would appreciate if these type if news articles would mention if these folks followed their "States" protocols prior to getting sick, what they think on how they caught the virus-communitiy spread, not wearing masks, never washing hands, house partying, bar hopping, traveling out of state, etc.

Then provide an explaination on how they think these folks reinfected themselves.

My personal opinion:  Just saying you can catch the virus twice through different strains means nothing to me if protocols are not mentioned to avoid a 2nd transmission.

In this instance, people following protocols isn't important to me, but instead, it's that they got something twice, and that there is more than one strain of it at this point, and what the possibilities of there being more mutations/strains coming, and how far into the future than might be. 

I get that people believe following all these precautions will slow the spread, and maybe that is so, but the fact that this might be changing/mutating and having multiple strains is much more concerning to me, especially in relation to getting some kind of vaccine (which might now mean multiple vaccines for real effectiveness in the future?).

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I saw on a crawler this morning as I watched GMA that 94% of people who have died from Covid-19 have underlying medical conditions.

I have no idea where they got that stat from, just repeating what I saw. 

They got it straight from the CDC.

"Table 3 shows the types of health conditions and contributing causes mentioned in conjunction with deaths involving coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned. For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death."

The full report is here:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm?fbclid=IwAR3-wrg3tTKK5-9tOHPGAHWFVO3DfslkJ... 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

All these reports and various sources can be confusing; I think most of us by now know all we can do is follow the guidelines.

Stats can be disheartening and stats can be encouraging.

We can mourn the deaths and troublesome recoveries and we can also have hope when good things happen.  We don't have to exclude one over the other.

If we keep staring at the past, we will never move forward.

jmoymmv

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I thought it was reported in July that there were 6 different types of this virus?  I wonder what they meant by types if that didn't mean strains?  I'm going to have to look into the difference.   

Honored Contributor

The possibility that one can be reinfected is just one of many reasons to be concerned about the increasing talk from the newest pandemic adviser advocating herd immunity. That and of course the tens of thousands who would die in the process.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland