New Contributor

Re: Nevada man first in US confirmed to have had two strains

I find this story about the NV man to be filled with holes that have yet to be explained.  During that time it was not easy to get a test yet we are to believe that not only did he get multiple tests but also his specimen was genome mapped.  Labs were not giving test results in a timely manner back then either and were few and far between.  So between the difficulty in obtaining a test and an accurate test we are to believe that this story is genuine. I don't think it is.  

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I am concerned now that I have three family members, a brother, sister in-law, and cousin, all living in different states, who have COVID-19, are hospitalized, and have had no fever at all. One is in ICU and is on oxygen (no ventilator). Not sure what drug therapy, if any, he is getting. One is in an isolation room receiving Residivir and improving, and the other is in a coronavirus section of the hospital and so weak she cannot lift her head from her pillow. I thought the main screening being used was checking for fever before people could enter dr offices, etc. My three family members all had the same first symptom...they could not taste their food at all. This is fascinating to me and I pray they all fully recover. Don’t wait to run a fever to seek help if you think you have other symptoms.

@lovesrecess When I have needed medical care, I have had my temperature taken, but I have ALSO been asked a series of questions about symptoms, including those typical of respiratory illness as well as loss of taste, and gastrointestinal symptoms. It's likely businesses doing employee and/or customer screening that are relying solely on temperature checks. Think that's true of amusement parks/similar, too.  I know in my area I couldn't get a medically administered test without a fever (unless I had known exposure). That's scary to me.

i hope your family members all recover quickly!

Trusted Contributor

From the report:  "Scientists say that although reinfection is likely possible, it's also extremely rare"   This is the first documented reinfection among nearly 6 million COVID-19 cases to date.  However, scientists interviewed by ABC News say these isolated case reports can't be applied to the average person.  It's still unclear if this 25-year-old man had any underlying conditions that might have put him at risk for more severe illness.  So to sum it up, right now this report means nothing and they know nothing definitive.  You don't know his prior medical conditions, just because he's 25 means nothing since you again do not know his medical history.  This is a one in 6 million might be but  no where near proven case.  "Reinfection with SARS-CoV-2 has not yet been definitively confirmed in any recovered persons to date. If, and if so when, persons can be reinfected with SARS-CoV-2 remains unknown and is a subject of investigation" the disclaimer at the end of the report.  

What is known is the fact that the median age of those who have died from Covid is 78.  Reports of deaths from the disease by the CDC show a clear correlation to age. Older people are far more likely to die of the disease. Taken directly from the CDC website: "90% of People Hospitalized for COVID-19 Have Underlying Conditions"  Treatment protocol for an older set of patients is different than a younger set.  The risk falls as the age group gets younger.  Their risk of severe symptoms let alone any symptoms is way lower than someone 65 and older.  Deaths in young people (from babies to college students) are almost non-existent. The first age group to show up as a noticeable percentage in the death statistics is 45-54 years,  and only when you combine them does it show up as close to 5% of all coronavirus deaths.   More than 80% of deaths occur in people aged 65 and over.  When you add that 5% in the total then increases to over 92%.  These statistics are easily found.   I'm not saying that someone younger will not experience issues either minor or severe, and I am not saying any of the deaths that have occurred are not tragically sad.  Always remember of all those percentages unless you knew their medical history personally you do not know what other factors contributed to their difficult time with this virus.  

Fact is that less than 2% of the population of the United States have been diagnosed with COVID-19.  Because of the significant number of asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic people with COVID-19, the CDC estimates the number of infected people could be 10 times the number of confirmed cases. Using the current numbers, that means more than 50 million people could have been or are infected. 

The U.S. has tested more  people than any other nation in the world and of that 2% diagnosed, they have reported over 80% are 65 and older.   I am concerned?  Yes.   Panicked?  No.  This is clearly more dangerous for the 65 and older population. If you are in the known vulnerable age bracket of 65 and older please take precautions.  Only you can protect you.  I understand anytime someone hears of a "surge" in numbers it incites panic.   But the truth is 500 positives does not translate into instant death, ventilator or even  hospital visits.  For the vast majority it is minor to no symptoms. 

I understand if you know someone who has died that this virus has affected you deeply.  But again, what the facts now show is that 90% have an underlying condition and over 80% are 65 and older.  I'm sure there are those that know someone who was younger than 45 that had a hard time, I didn't say there are none, only that there are a very small amount.  Take care everyone, and do what you feel comfortable doing.  But please keep in mind the vast majority of people who are continuing with their lives are not trying to "murder" you, be "disrespectful"  "vulgar" or "disgusting".  The risk for them is simply very very low.   Only you can protect you.  And I am so very sorry for those who experienced tragedy from this virus.  I do understand how it can be very frightening especially if it effected you personally.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@eadu4   Thank you. 

I'll say no more.  You said it better.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eadu4  wrote: Fact is that less than 2% of the population of the United States have been diagnosed with COVID-19.

"Less than 2%" sounds really quite good until you mention the 182,000 souls lost and their grieving loved ones. This is the number at the forefront of my mind - not 2%.  Smiley Sad

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I was infected with it about two months ago. I am a very proactive person when it comes to my health and safety.  I follow guidelines to the T. I took every precaution yet I believe I got it from going inside a store where there was no mask wearing. Few had them on and no SD going on either. That was the last time I will set foot in any store again. I'm still feeling the ill effects from this %$#@-ing virus...! I hope to God I don't get it again.

I've read many of your posts, @SilleeMee and I've gotten a strong impression that you are very much a proactive person when it comes to your health and safety. And you are the kind of person who would follow guidelines to a T and take every precaution.

(I'm just so glad you survived. You're here to tell the tale and that counts. I am sad for you that you are still dealing with the effects of the virus. It should not be that way and I wish it were different. I choose to believe you will not get it again.)

As to how people catch Covid. It seems to be pretty bad. You go into one crowded location one time with one person with Covid, and they get close enough to you without a mask on, and you can get it.

That person should be liable for all the pain and suffering they caused. But I bet they don't even know what they did. That's what's so hard. People don't even know.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I heard that they're suspecting that the milder the case of virus you get, the lesser amount (length) of immunity you have.  It seems that in the instances where people have gotten the virus more than once, their first case was a mild one and their immunity is lowered or even gone after a short time, leaving them vulnerable to reinfection.

It's also possible (not saying probable) that once a person has gotten it, they just assume they're immune forever and take fewer precautions.

Honored Contributor

@goodtea wrote:

I find this story about the NV man to be filled with holes that have yet to be explained.  During that time it was not easy to get a test yet we are to believe that not only did he get multiple tests but also his specimen was genome mapped.  Labs were not giving test results in a timely manner back then either and were few and far between.  So between the difficulty in obtaining a test and an accurate test we are to believe that this story is genuine. I don't think it is.  

@goodtea @The link to the case study in prepublication is in one of my comments here. The team that did the genomic testing is The University of Nevada. It will be published in "The Lancet," the most prestigious medical journal in the UK. There are no holes. These are the most highly credible of sources. This case study is purely dealing with the genomic testing results confirming infection twice, with two different strains. The accuracy of the tests patients get has nothing to do with this. His specimens were fully sequenced. The complete DNA of each of the viruses is visible when this is done. The tests patients take are not done this way. This is a much, much, much, much higher standard than the tests people take to determine if they had or have COVID. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eadu4 wrote:

From the report:  "Scientists say that although reinfection is likely possible, it's also extremely rare"   This is the first documented reinfection among nearly 6 million COVID-19 cases to date.  However, scientists interviewed by ABC News say these isolated case reports can't be applied to the average person.  It's still unclear if this 25-year-old man had any underlying conditions that might have put him at risk for more severe illness.  So to sum it up, right now this report means nothing and they know nothing definitive.  You don't know his prior medical conditions, just because he's 25 means nothing since you again do not know his medical history.  This is a one in 6 million might be but  no where near proven case.  "Reinfection with SARS-CoV-2 has not yet been definitively confirmed in any recovered persons to date. If, and if so when, persons can be reinfected with SARS-CoV-2 remains unknown and is a subject of investigation" the disclaimer at the end of the report.  

What is known is the fact that the median age of those who have died from Covid is 78.  Reports of deaths from the disease by the CDC show a clear correlation to age. Older people are far more likely to die of the disease. Taken directly from the CDC website: "90% of People Hospitalized for COVID-19 Have Underlying Conditions"  Treatment protocol for an older set of patients is different than a younger set.  The risk falls as the age group gets younger.  Their risk of severe symptoms let alone any symptoms is way lower than someone 65 and older.  Deaths in young people (from babies to college students) are almost non-existent. The first age group to show up as a noticeable percentage in the death statistics is 45-54 years,  and only when you combine them does it show up as close to 5% of all coronavirus deaths.   More than 80% of deaths occur in people aged 65 and over.  When you add that 5% in the total then increases to over 92%.  These statistics are easily found.   I'm not saying that someone younger will not experience issues either minor or severe, and I am not saying any of the deaths that have occurred are not tragically sad.  Always remember of all those percentages unless you knew their medical history personally you do not know what other factors contributed to their difficult time with this virus.  

Fact is that less than 2% of the population of the United States have been diagnosed with COVID-19.  Because of the significant number of asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic people with COVID-19, the CDC estimates the number of infected people could be 10 times the number of confirmed cases. Using the current numbers, that means more than 50 million people could have been or are infected. 

The U.S. has tested more  people than any other nation in the world and of that 2% diagnosed, they have reported over 80% are 65 and older.   I am concerned?  Yes.   Panicked?  No.  This is clearly more dangerous for the 65 and older population. If you are in the known vulnerable age bracket of 65 and older please take precautions.  Only you can protect you.  I understand anytime someone hears of a "surge" in numbers it incites panic.   But the truth is 500 positives does not translate into instant death, ventilator or even  hospital visits.  For the vast majority it is minor to no symptoms. 

I understand if you know someone who has died that this virus has affected you deeply.  But again, what the facts now show is that 90% have an underlying condition and over 80% are 65 and older.  I'm sure there are those that know someone who was younger than 45 that had a hard time, I didn't say there are none, only that there are a very small amount.  Take care everyone, and do what you feel comfortable doing.  But please keep in mind the vast majority of people who are continuing with their lives are not trying to "murder" you, be "disrespectful"  "vulgar" or "disgusting".  The risk for them is simply very very low.   Only you can protect you.  And I am so very sorry for those who experienced tragedy from this virus.  I do understand how it can be very frightening especially if it effected you personally.  

@eadu4 @The actual case study is available right here in this thread. I posted it. In the study it is clearly stated that the Nevada man has no underlying medical conditions. I'm not referring to a report about the study. I'm talking about the study itself. Whatever news sources you used , including CBS, were not doing their jobs very well and the writers would have looked directly at the preprint of the case study which has been submitted to The Lancet for publication. To see the actual case study for yourself look back through this thread for the link I posted to it. 

@eadu4 Here is the REAL CASE STUDY all the other secondary sources are talking about. Anyone commenting, including experts should have read this IRIGINAL SOURCE before commenting. It's lazy journalism if they didn't. Just below the abstract,  Press "Open PDF in Browser" (you might need to try to see it a couple of times...it took me a couple of tries to get it to open) to view the ACTUAL RESEACH. This is a prepublication, that has been submitted to The Lancet. Once it's published in The !ancet it won't be free to view. 

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/Delivery.cfm/55195c77-c275-4b08-bc21-d1902cfa44ad-MECA.pdf?abstractid=3...

I JUST TRIED OPENING IT AND ITS NOT LETTING ME IN AGAIN. YOU MIGHT HAVE TO MAKE A FEW ATTEMPTS. 

New Contributor

@Mindy D I believe you believe and that's fine. I however do not believe in this story during a time when thousands of people probably more could not get a test much less an accurate test to even find out if they had covid. Celebrities and regular people alike.