Honored Contributor

Re: Nevada man first in US confirmed to have had two strains

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

I would appreciate if these type if news articles would mention if these folks followed their "States" protocols prior to getting sick, what they think on how they caught the virus-communitiy spread, not wearing masks, never washing hands, house partying, bar hopping, traveling out of state, etc.

Then provide an explaination on how they think these folks reinfected themselves.

My personal opinion:  Just saying you can catch the virus twice through different strains means nothing to me if protocols are not mentioned to avoid a 2nd transmission.

Providing details and all pertinent information is not in their best interest.

@CrazyDaisy, amazing, but I actually agree with this. However, I imagine that I have another "their" in mind than your "their."

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

I would appreciate if these type if news articles would mention if these folks followed their "States" protocols prior to getting sick, what they think on how they caught the virus-communitiy spread, not wearing masks, never washing hands, house partying, bar hopping, traveling out of state, etc.

Then provide an explaination on how they think these folks reinfected themselves.

My personal opinion:  Just saying you can catch the virus twice through different strains means nothing to me if protocols are not mentioned to avoid a 2nd transmission.

Providing details and all pertinent information is not in their best interest.

Literally the second article that came up when I searched this mentioned that a member of this man's household tested positive in June, making it likely he caught it from that person the 2nd time. They're doing a terrible job hiding the pertinent details, if that's the intent.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

He was only 25 and the second time he got Covid he had to be hospitalized? Woman Mad

@Porcelain Yes. He had a different strain. He got pneumonia from his second illness. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Getting it once is bad enough.  I wonder if he is a front line worker and exposed to the virus?

Good question.

They gave his age and all the symptoms (1st bout didn't seem like a walk in the park either)--I wish they could give us some insight as to how he may have contracted it again.  Had he been following all the protocol?  Had he been travelling?

I wonder why eye protection isn't talked about more.  I've been suspect of that since the beginning.  I don't wear goggles, but always have sunglasses on, be it in the grocery store or outside.  Bought a pair of tight fitting safety sunglasses that are tinted silver so I can wear them if I happen to go to the store after dusk.

@Lucky Charm @It's possible there is more in the actual report but it's difficult to access it. It has not been published yet. It has been submitted and will be published in the British Medical Journal, "The Lancet." Right now, all that is available for free is the abstract. I wasn't going pay to open a preprint. Once published the title will be "Genomic Evidence for a Case of Reinfection with SARS-COV-2. I do know that the man's father, who he lives with, was also infected at the same time as his second infection. The young man has no underlying health conditions.

@WenGirl42 @The news media can only know what is in the scientific publication currently in preprint. They aren't hiding anything because the type of information about the things you want to know is not available yet. 

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Getting it once is bad enough.  I wonder if he is a front line worker and exposed to the virus?

Good question.

They gave his age and all the symptoms (1st bout didn't seem like a walk in the park either)--I wish they could give us some insight as to how he may have contracted it again.  Had he been following all the protocol?  Had he been travelling?

I wonder why eye protection isn't talked about more.  I've been suspect of that since the beginning.  I don't wear goggles, but always have sunglasses on, be it in the grocery store or outside.  Bought a pair of tight fitting safety sunglasses that are tinted silver so I can wear them if I happen to go to the store after dusk.

@Lucky Charm @It's possible there is more in the actual report but it's difficult to access it. It has not been published yet. It has been submitted and will be published in the British Medical Journal, "The Lancet." Right now, all that is available for free is the abstract. I wasn't going pay to open a preprint. Once published the title will be "Genomic Evidence for a Case of Reinfection with SARS-COV-2. I do know that the man's father, who he lives with, was also infected at the same time as his second infection. The young man has no underlying health conditions.

@WenGirl42 @The news media can only know what is in the scientific publication currently in preprint. They aren't hiding anything because the type of information about the things you want to know is not available yet. 

@Mindy D True. In addition, I don't know how helpful it would be to know what protocols he may or may not have been following, since that would almost certainly need to be self-reported. Not that he'd necessarily lie, but how would anyone confirm what he said?

Honored Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Good question.

@Mindy D True. In addition, I don't know how helpful it would be to know what protocols he may or may not have been following, since that would almost certainly need to be self-reported. Not that he'd necessarily lie, but how would anyone confirm what he said?

@WenGirl42 @I tried to open the original study which is available online as a prepublication but the only thing I can view for free is the abstract. Whether on not the research team included any of the patient's use of preventative strategies would be up to the researchers. The use of these strategies does not have anything to do with the key information in the publication; confirmation of dual infection with two strains of the virus. The authors might have included this information or might not have included it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

He was only 25 and the second time he got Covid he had to be hospitalized? Woman Mad

@Porcelain @WenGirl42 @suzyQ3 @BlueFinch @Calcgirl @@@@@SUCCESS. I just got the preprint to open. You can read the whole case report for yourselves. It's not long. Press on OPEN IN YOUR BROWSER TO VIEW.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/Delivery.cfm/55195c77-c275-4b08-bc21-d1902cfa44ad-MECA.pdf?abstractid=3...

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Calcgirl wrote:

I contracted Covid and seldom leave my home and when I do I wear an KN95 mask, eye glasses and gloves. Sanitize everything including my purse and I stiil got it! As far as I could tell the stores I went into everyone had a mask on as required.

How do you think you got it? Have you narrowed it down and care to share? This is really practical info for everyone.

I was infected with it about two months ago. I am a very proactive person when it comes to my health and safety.  I follow guidelines to the T. I took every precaution yet I believe I got it from going inside a store where there was no mask wearing. Few had them on and no SD going on either. That was the last time I will set foot in any store again. I'm still feeling the ill effects from this %$#@-ing virus...! I hope to God I don't get it again.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am concerned now that I have three family members, a brother, sister in-law, and cousin, all living in different states, who have COVID-19, are hospitalized, and have had no fever at all. Their first symptom was suddenly not being able to taste their food at all and having what they thought was allergy congestion or a cough that wouldn't go away. Not running a fever surprises me since I thought that was one of the screenings most places are doing. If you feel sick, don't wait to have a fever before calling the dr. 

New Contributor

@lovesrecess it was reported way back when it happened that only 30% of patients in NYC at the height of the pandemic had a fever.