Honored Contributor

Net down again! Teased by AT & T.

[ Edited ]
Spoiler

So, a few hours after I posted on 1/6,  at 6:30 PM, my internet went DOWN AGAIN!

My husband and I couldn’t believe it. From the time I got it back, I was on the phone correcting problems caused by the outage with text messaging between my iPad and husband’s iPhone. Then I was onto deleting from the iPad’s Website Data because web pages were loading slowly and I thought it was me. Then the internet goes down completely. This time I called AT&T DSL and got right through... this never happens. They make you jump through hoops to get a human. Anyway, my human told me there is still an outage and that their engineers are working on a fix, probably awaiting parts. It’s supposed to be fixed by the 8th. BTW, this outage is affecting over 1000 customers. 

I started wondering about about the ability to fix nationwide outages. What if there aren’t enough parts for a huge outage?

Off topic, but our garbage crew never picked up our garbage today. Maybe the truck broke down. Should I call them too?😅

Honored Contributor

Re: Net down again! Teased by AT & T.

I’m so sorry.
I have ATT Uverse and haven’t had any outage issues. I have had 3 routers in 3 years, however. They keep going bad. When I’ve called for service I have been able to get right through to a live person and it’s always been fixed by the next day - one time the service guy was here within a couple of hours.
Respected Contributor

I wouldh't touch AT&T with a ten foot pole. Have you considered the fact that foreign players are involved.  Woman LOL

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Super Contributor

My internet is through my cable system. My internet NEVER goes out.

Esteemed Contributor

Their is nothing more frustrating than when you can't get online. Hope these outages cease for you. And I agree if we had a nationwide outage that would be very scary. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

DSL uses the old land line phone wiring system. That kind of wire is aging and there are many points along the way to your house that can break...it's just old wiring. Some of it is being replaced with a new kind of wire, one that is more durable, but the fact is that DSL lines are small and what that means it cannot handle loads of data transmissions especially upload speeds. I think (coaxial) cable internet is a better option and you will notice a change for the better after you switch to that.

Respected Contributor

I switched from AT&T DSL to U-Verse a couple of years ago and couldn't be happier.

DSL service was getting slower and slower, while the price was climbing. Old technology is expensive to maintain. My monthly internet bill was approaching $100. 

Now I'm paying $45 a month for U-Verse. I've never had an outage or slowdown. I watch streaming programs on both devices and my smart TV and never come close to using up my monthly data allowance of 1025 GB. I'm halfway thru my billing period and have only used 50GB. 

Now cable - that's another story. We're captive to Spectrum and it's horrible. Pixalting and frozen pictures constantly. Neighbors who have their internet service hate it. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

You couldn’t pay me to use Spectrum. Everytime we have Santa Ana winds there are outages. They make constant billing errors and call nonstop trying to get you to upgrade service. And they are the only cable option in town.
Trusted Contributor

We also have Spectrum, and Internet is frequently out, especially evenings and weekends.  TV's always freezing and buffering.  We don't live in the wilderness someplace - we're talking Tampa Bay here.  

Esteemed Contributor

DSL can't handle mulitple users and devices.