Valued Contributor

@Hippiified wrote:

@esmerelda 

Of course not. That is a different service.  But if you have broadband, you should get the same speed as anyone with broadband.

You pay for what speed you want. It's always been that way. My carrier offers 4 different levels. The faster the service, the more it costs. I've been happy with the least expensive tier since broadband became available.

It's usually gamers that need the higher speeds. I'm no gamer, so I'm glad I am free to choose a less expensive option.

Regular Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Net Neutrality provides the provider not to blatantly disallow you to go to places but slows down and or charge you to pay more to access sites they prefer (for whatever reason).

Example: Verizon and ATT are two providers. Bob has a site and John has a site. Verizon really likes Bob's site because Bob gives Verizon a great deal on advertising but John doesn't. So, Verizon makes sure that getting to Bobs' site is easy and fast but Johns' site is slow and a nightmare to get to. But YOU want to get to Johns' site because you like it better (for whatever reason). Since Verizon is your carrier, you have 4 options- 

1) Don't visit Johns' site and go to Bobs' instead

2) Go to Johns's site but deal with slowness, issues, etc accessing it.

3) PAY the extra fees that Verizon will charge so you can access Johns' site with no issue

4) Dump Verizon and sign up with ATT.

But wait! What if ATT isn't an option where you live for whatever reason; maybe you need cable just to watch TV and use the internet and Verizon has the contract in your area...now what? Well, then you choose options 1-3. THAT is the problem.

This helps ONE group: Business. It hurts those who can't afford the extra fees, can't choose other providers. 

This change is NOT a good thing, folks.

Without net neutrality there will no longer be a level playing field between small businesses and large corporations. The little guy will lose.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess if you are okay with bigger entities regulating where you go on the Internet and how long you can stay there while they hold the monopoly on their share of the internet, then by all means, don't defend net neutrality. I for one believe that the demise of net neutrality moves us that much closer to Big Brother. 

Respected Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

I guess if you are okay with bigger entities regulating where you go on the Internet and how long you can stay there while they hold the monopoly on their share of the internet, then by all means, don't defend net neutrality. I for one believe that the demise of net neutrality moves us that much closer to Big Brother. 

ITA!!  All I know is that my internet bill went up by 10 dollars.  Was this in the works already, I dont know. I do know it happened around the same time as all these talks were going on.  So, who knows.  I hope it doesnt go much higher.

I feel we already have big brother following up around with our clicks, it will ony get worse if we are now monitored for our time and not allowed one site or another.  So ridiculous.

Esteemed Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

ITA!!  All I know is that my internet bill went up by 10 dollars.  Was this in the works already, I dont know. I do know it happened around the same time as all these talks were going on.  So, who knows.  I hope it doesnt go much higher.

I feel we already have big brother following up around with our clicks, it will ony get worse if we are now monitored for our time and not allowed one site or another.  So ridiculous.

Interesting that people seem willing to give up their freedoms one by one, when in the same breath they demand their rights.  I just don't get it.

Valued Contributor

The repeal of NN = less govt oversight and regs.

Respected Contributor

@garmer wrote:

Yup.

Honored Contributor

@garmer wrote:

@garmer

In other words, there is no control, they can charge the little guy as much as they want for access or speed.  

Yeah, that sounds hunky dory.

Honored Contributor

@garmer wrote:

@Hippiified wrote:

@esmerelda 

Of course not. That is a different service.  But if you have broadband, you should get the same speed as anyone with broadband.

You pay for what speed you want. It's always been that way. My carrier offers 4 different levels. The faster the service, the more it costs. I've been happy with the least expensive tier since broadband became available.

It's usually gamers that need the higher speeds. I'm no gamer, so I'm glad I am free to choose a less expensive option.

@garmer

It’s more than paying for speed.  It can also be charges for access and better deals for corporations while stifling small business.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC inappropriate