Valued Contributor

Re: Nestle will be using insect protein in some Purina pet food.

People fed their dogs commercial, cost effective food years ago and those dogs seemed to live longer than the dogs on designer diets now.  What sounds disgusting to us is not necessarily bad for them and, in some cases, is actually good for them.

That being said, I do cook for my dog and feed her a handful of dry kibble from a brand that was highly recommended to me by a breeder years ago and my dogs have done well on it.  It's not inexpensive, but has never been recalled and is made in the USA from ingredients sourced here, as well.

I think most pet parents do their best.

Honored Contributor

@Toppers3 I love their special morse code meow they only ever use when they see a bug. As if they're trying to communicate in bugese.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@Tessa Mendoza wrote:

People fed their dogs commercial, cost effective food years ago and those dogs seemed to live longer than the dogs on designer diets now.  What sounds disgusting to us is not necessarily bad for them and, in some cases, is actually good for them.

That being said, I do cook for my dog and feed her a handful of dry kibble from a brand that was highly recommended to me by a breeder years ago and my dogs have done well on it.  It's not inexpensive, but has never been recalled and is made in the USA from ingredients sourced here, as well.

I think most pet parents do their best.

@Tessa Mendoza 

I was thinking about that as I read this thread. We had dogs when I was growing up (50s and 60s)and they were fed mostly canned dog food.  They slept in dog houses on a back porch.  Those dogs lived to be 16 - 18 years old, every one of them.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

For those folks who want to cook meals for their fur babies - go for it. I live in the St. Louis area and Purina is a big part of our community. Yes, they've been bought by Nestle, but they have a big open and outdoor research center here that centers on the quality of their food for pets. Purina has been in business for many years, and they do not feed ground down tires in their pet food. Please - make homemade food for your pets if you want, but also don't decide that those of us who purchase pet food from companies who use scientists and nutritionist to develop pet foods are doing our pets great harm. JMO.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I feed my pond fish black soldier fly larva from canada.  But they are fish, they love it.  They are so healthy and their color is vibrant.  It isn't cheap fish food but they are worth it.  I don't know about feeding it to dogs andcats.  Soldier flies are a natural food to fish, cats and dogs, I just don't see it.

Honored Contributor

I don't know of any data that tells us how long dogs lived ,say many years ago, people did not give dogs all the vaccines ,that vets now say they need, i remember my grandfather had beagles, that stayed outside all year,for hunting,  they ate left overs from what we ate,bones included! Don't know how long they lived.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

I give black soldier fly larvae to my chickens. It’s very good for them. I would never consider giving it to my dogs. I cook for them, also make treats. I don’t trust store bought since so many dogs got sick & died from previous “mistakes”.