Honored Contributor

Re: Nestle will be using insect protein in some Purina pet food.

My cats would love it. They LOVE eating bugs.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Add Side Yard Grass Flavored and Front Porch Bug Flavored to the Fancy Feast lineup and I'll give them a shot.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I bet a lot of poor feral cats exist on bugs.... I know my kitties go out on my fenced in patio and bring in moths or june bugs occasionally as a special snack....🤢  But you wonder what's next for these pet food companies----lizards and mice perhaps....🤮

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Insect eating does sound gross, but humans are already eating them....on purpose.

When I was in Asia, I saw people buying and eating fried crickets.  They popped them into their mouths like potato chips.  I also saw them eating small cooked snakes on a stick.  I didn't try anything like that, but I can tell you they sure smelled good.

In America we use insects for human food too. Most of our red food coloring comes from insects and has for hundreds of years.

A few countries in Europe have insect farms that grows insects for human food.  They are a great source of protein.

Your dog or cat probably eats insects already.  I know mine do.  It's gross because we  are conditioned to beleive insects are gross.  if we were brought up eating them, we wouldn't bat an eye just like we do with red food coloring.

When my husband was stationed in Thailand, the people ate dog.  Some dogs were pets, some food.  I am not sure what the distinction was.......hunger?

I still don't want bugs in my dog's food that is why I prepare it myself.  Have you ever opened a bag of dog kibble and have moths fly out?  HMMM yum, not.  Woman Mad

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

I bet a lot of poor feral cats exist on bugs.... I know my kitties go out on my fenced in patio and bring in moths or june bugs occasionally as a special snack....🤢  But you wonder what's next for these pet food companies----lizards and mice perhaps....🤮

What's next is already here.  You don't want to know what all goes into pet food.......tumors cut of cows, pigs, chickens, beaks, sawdust, whatever is swept up off the floor.  The list goes on and on.....

Honored Contributor

I have been told by many knowledgeable  breeders, that because purnia does so much testing on their dog foods ,they use that brand, their dogs are first class, now i tried purnia senstive skin ,on cambridge about a month ago,well her poops were larger, gray in color, i ended up throwing it away, she eats farmina,with fresh added.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I have been told by many knowledgeable  breeders, that because purnia does so much testing on their dog foods ,they use that brand, their dogs are first class, now i tried purnia senstive skin ,on cambridge about a month ago,well her poops were larger, gray in color, i ended up throwing it away, she eats farmina,with fresh added.

@goldensrbest  Big fluffy poop is a sign of a low nutritional, filler filled food.  Their poop should be small and firm.  Glad you tossed it.  

I wouldn't be surprised if breeders are given the food from Purina so they figure that the new puppy owners will continue on with it.  Most people don't research the food they are feeding.  I couldn't toss the Purina food fast enough that was sent home with Willie.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I agree add fresh to your kibble, for your dog,but have saying that ,i feed good quality kibble ,fresh proteins, veggies ,fruit ,supplements, and cancer still takes them.

@goldensrbest    exactly. My last golden, sweet Lola , who I had to put down last March   had filtered water... I gave her quality food with many supplements and  even medicinal mushroom powders and much more... all her life.  Yet she still died from liver cancer. I  still cry about losing her...

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

I agree add fresh to your kibble, for your dog,but have saying that ,i feed good quality kibble ,fresh proteins, veggies ,fruit ,supplements, and cancer still takes them.

@goldensrbest    exactly. My last golden, sweet Lola , who I had to put down last March   had filtered water... I gave her quality food with many supplements and  even medicinal mushroom powders and much more... all her life.  Yet she still died from liver cancer. I  still cry about losing her...

But would you do anything different, @SeaMaiden ?  I look at people throwing Ol Roy dogfood into their shopping carts at Walmart and I think, "their dog will probably live to be 17", but I still wouldn't feed my dog that kr@p.  If that is all someone can afford to feed their pet and they give them love, I am not shaming them.  But there are people that say that raw or fresh food is too expensive, yet in another thread they are talking about the Dooney they bought or someother high end purchase.  It all comes down to choices and doing the best that we really can do and afford.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

But would you do anything different, @SeaMaiden ?  I look at people throwing Ol Roy dogfood into their shopping carts at Walmart and I think, "their dog will probably live to be 17", but I still wouldn't feed my dog that kr@p.  If that is all someone can afford to feed their pet and they give them love, I am not shaming them.  But there are people that say that raw or fresh food is too expensive, yet in another thread they are talking about the Dooney they bought or someother high end purchase.  It all comes down to choices and doing the best that we really can do and afford.

@tends2dogs      I really am coming to believe that it is the genetics of  animals  and  people that really is the key to a long life or not.