Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nestle will be using insect protein in some Purina pet food.

@SeaMaiden  I agree that genetics (breeding and inbreeding) plays a role in longevity, but not all.  At the very least, a good food and pure water will insure your dog has a healthy coat, clear skin, clean teeth, good breath, and a weight that is good for their bone structure.  You also never know what it may help to ward off or prevent in the future.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

I agree add fresh to your kibble, for your dog,but have saying that ,i feed good quality kibble ,fresh proteins, veggies ,fruit ,supplements, and cancer still takes them.

@goldensrbest    exactly. My last golden, sweet Lola , who I had to put down last March   had filtered water... I gave her quality food with many supplements and  even medicinal mushroom powders and much more... all her life.  Yet she still died from liver cancer. I  still cry about losing her...

Yes, i did everything i could, goldens have so much cancer, 5 goldens ,3 died from cancer ,one old age ,and cambridge is 9, i never thought spirit would be gone at 10, just heart breaking, but i so love that breed,

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Yes, i see people buying cheap filler foods for dogs,and driving a expensive car, i phone,nice clothes on them, i just shake my head,my car will be 21 yrs old,yes that old,no i phone, not expensive clothes,  i love my dogs dearly they are my family,i have one living son,7 miles from me ,i see him perhaps 4 times a year,so my dogs mean the world to me.

Honored Contributor

But, i have had 2 dogs,cambridge is one that eats bugs, and tiny frogs!!!!

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs   Oh goodness no , i've never had moths in my dog food.

i buy kibble in small bags and use them up in about two weeks.  My dogs prefer freshly opened food.  I do store it in air tight containers.

I have two small dogs..under 15 lbs each and it costs me about $90 a month to feed them.  They are clearly spoiled, but I like it that way.

They even drink spring water.  I hate when they lick water from a puddle, but as soon as they see one they run towards it.  

I have one dog who is super picky.  She will not eat chicken, hamburger, rice, green beans, sweet potatoes or pumpkin.  When I got her she was skin and bones.  It took a while for me to find food that she will eat. 

She is still a bit skinny, but within normal weight guidelines.  

PS.  She does like bugs. Yuck!

Honored Contributor

Okay ew. Not cool to imply other posters caused their pets to die prematurely by feeding them Purina or any other basic pet food. Extreme and very unkind.

It's great that you feed your pet what you think best. But there is often a strange competition to belittle other pet owners for their different and completely legitimate, though possibly not perfect, petcare choices.

It makes pet discussions such a turn off. "Oh, you don't grow your own wheat grass? I feel so sorry for your poor Toodles that you don't love him more."

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@Carmie , As I said in my comment above, anyone who eats crustaceans (lobster, crabs or shrimp) is eating bugs. Delicious bugs. One of the "Deadliest Catch" captains, Sig Hansen, even frequently refers to his catch as "bugs". They're branches of the same family: arthropods. 

As a lover of lobster, crabs and shrimp, I have to agree.  And let's not forget my favorite, crawfish - aka "mudbugs."

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags   I once got some crawfish from a seadood buffet down south, but couldn't figure out how to eat them.

I watched others twisting them then eating,but when I tried it, something wasn't right.  I need a good ol' southerner to show me how it is done.

Trusted Contributor

We feed our dogs the B.A.R.F diet. Google and do the research if you don't know what it is. 

The ****** they put into kibble....no way would we give it to our animals.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie 

It's something like peeling shrimp, but with much harder shells.  Then there's the part where you "pinch the tail" to free the meat that you've partially peeled. (We won't get into the part where you "suck the head" ha, ha!)

@Carmie wrote:

@shoesnbags   I once got some crawfish from a seadood buffet down south, but couldn't figure out how to eat them.

I watched others twisting them then eating,but when I tried it, something wasn't right.  I need a good ol' southerner to show me how it is done.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett