Contributor

Re: Nervous about colonoscopy

@kivah ^^
Honored Contributor

I refuse to have that procedure. No family history and several people I know had some issues after the procedure.
Contributor

@ALRATIBA... do you do the stool tests instead?
Esteemed Contributor

My mom died of colon cancer and my siblings and I all had to get a colonoscopy done. The worst part is the prepping the day before and not being able to eat. The procedure itself is very simple. Good luck. All my siblings and I had good results. I was the only one with no polyps. 

Honored Contributor

I was scared out of my mind after reading about colonoscopies here.  Did it and was like that's it?  I found prep a breeze and the procedure no big deal.  Keep an open mind, it will be fine.  My only problem was I bought jello and had no idea it took so long to set.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@GCR18,

I don’t always let the jello set up, I just drink it, as a slightly warm drink.   Adding ice cubes instead of cold water will set it faster.

Honored Contributor

@kivah,

I HATE going to the dentist and would rather prep for a colonoscopy twice a year than have my teeth cleaned!

My teeth and gums are sensitive, and my mouth is already getting sore before I even get out of the chair.   I sleep peacefully thru a colonoscopy, and my *** isn’t sore when it’s over!

My dad was the first person in his family to be diagnosed with colon cancer, but 2 nephews were diagnosed last year.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am sure it will be much less of an ordeal than you may be imagining. Just drinking the stuff is the toughest part and the taste has improved since the first time I drank it. The entire procedure doesn’t take very long at all...it’s just the prep. The procedure is a breeze. You will feel nothing. Rest a bit and then DH or friend drives you home. Then eat! You will be starving!

Trusted Contributor

@CBonifacio wrote:
Thank you. I have “health anxiety” and always fear the worst. I’ve actually done those FIT test three times in the last 18 months so I figure if something was there it would have picked it up. My insurance (Kaiser) does FIT tests for low risk people but you can have a colonoscopy if you prefer. After talking with my GP, she thought having a colonoscopy would be good for my “mental health” to make me stop worrying. Otherwise she said the FIT test is an option which is acceptable.
I had a root canal and they put me in twighlight sleep so I figure I can do this! Lol.

Just am a huge worrier. Had a bleeding hemmroid last year and the doc did a rectal digital exam and was convinced it was from the hemmroid.

@CBonifacio 

I am the same way --anxiety over any kind of health procedure. I got myself so worked up over having my first root canal that I started having chest pains and from that ended up in the ER being checked out for a possible heart attack. No indication of a heart attack, but, cardiologist wanted me to have a stress test. So, then, I spend 2 weeks worrying over that! 

I have had 2 colonoscopies, though, and as everyone else has said....The prep is the worst part. The actual colonoscopy is nothing to fear. 

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Honored Contributor

have had so many of them since I have been 45. Am down to 4 yr in between each scope. What was found I have IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) finally on meds that have calmed things down so i can live my life again. The worst part of the test is the cleanse process.that is the worst, having the scope was easy.

good luck,