Respected Contributor

Re: Nervous about colonoscopy

Let me tell you , if i can do it you can do it , i almost went full on parinoid before going in that morning , i think it was having the anesthia , after i got in i didn't remember a thing. Not to be gross but did anyone have trouble controling their bowel movement after the procedure ,when you knew it was coming . I had trouble for a few weeks that i didn't before. I am proud of myself for going through with it , because i had never had any procedures in the past.

Contributor

@MW in Iowa.. the only procedure I’ve had has been a root canal. Lol. They put me under for that. Not all the way, but I don’t remember it. I figure if I can get thru that, I’ll get thru this. I have a fear of choking. How old were u when u had your colonoscopy? I’m starting to feel I’m late for the party.
Honored Contributor

@Reever I don't discuss colonoscopies or my research results because it would quickly ascend to the dark side in this forum.  I just want to support your statements....we do need to do better with medical care.  We are the country that spends the most and is rated 48th in care.

@Reever wrote:

They need to develop a better test, perhaps a CT scan that is not invasive and only use the proping tube with camera for those who have suspicious results.   In the year 2020 we can and must do better. Our medical system is failing us.  No test for pancreatic cancer. Stomach cancer is often found too late or misdiagnosed as IBS or GERD.  I advocated for a full body CAT scan but my family doctor said it was not medically necessary.

Trusted Contributor

@CBonifacio I survived colon cancer.  Diagnosed in 2014.  Clean since the day I walked out of the hospital after having surgery.  They removed it and I've been living the dream ever since. 

If you have no symptoms- (they may be subtle but they're there) just go get it over with and move on.  Nothing better than knowing all is ok.  

I"m sure you're fine.  The prep is worse than the procedure.  If it's the worst thing you have to go through in life consider yourself lucky and for goodness sake don't let your mind talk you into a frenzy.   Learn to meditate..It works wonders for worriers -  Good luck! 

Respected Contributor

@CBonifacio 

I haven't read every post, so you may already have had your test.  IMO, the worst part of the procedure is the prep!  The actual colonoscopy is a breeze.  You won't feel or remember a thing!  Good luck, I hope everything is ok! 

Respected Contributor

@CBonifacio wrote:
I start the fasting and drink stuff tomorrow, but still eating very light today. Just ice cream and some tea. I won’t have dinner. I’d rather have less to clean out tomorrow

DO have a light, low-fiber supper, such as eggs.  You need the strength and the protein.  If you go to bed hungry, you might not sleep well, and prep day will be easier for you if you're well-rested.  As everyone has said, the procedure itself is nothing.  The peace of mind you'll have afterwards will be priceless.

Esteemed Contributor

Let me tell u what happened before and after the colonoscopy. I called SCAN (medicare) for a referral so a cab would pick me and drive me home - I was alone.

The male driver arrived at my house - his face was all wrinkled - and he didn't speak a word of English. Fortunately he drove slowly.,

After I recovered from the anesthesia - the nurse told me that the cab driver is outside. When I walked outside with her,  he ran in another door to go to the bathroom - so I didn't see him.

When the nurse opened the back door of the cab, I said, "this car is a mess" and she said that she won't say anything. There was clothes stacked on the back seat to almost the top of the car. Papers strewn about the floor and papers on the back seat. And - nowhere did the the word taxi or cab appear on the car. Just a dirty/messy car. He worked for Rosie's taxi service in the next town.

Then the driver got into the front seat - didn't look at me - and immediately put those earphones on - while driving me home - he never stopped taking phone calls or making phone calls. He also used a cell phone which he held below the window - so no one could see that he wasn't using a hands-free phone. He drove very fast and I kept telling him to slow down and he never did.

It was 3:15 pm and on several corners, students were crossing the street - and I was sure that he would hit them. I already get panicky in a car --- and I couldn't wait to get home - which was 15-20 minutes away. I ran in my house so fast.

I posted a bad review on Yelp about the driver (who was from another country - and was illedgal).

He called me up after seeing my post and threatened me - and said  that he was going to call me every day.

I then called SCAN - and I told them everything he said to me - and they took a report.

The taxi company also called and they wrote a report.

A couple of days later, he was banging on my front door - and calling me names - I recognized his voice/accent from his endless phone calls in the car. 

I called SCAN as I was very fearful. They kept me on the phone while they called the police. The police arrived (I didn't even know the police saw him at my door) and told him that right now this is a civil case - not a criminal case.

Afterward the cop came to my door --- and I found out that this guy was fired from Rosie's cab co. --- and he was also fired from another cab company as he drove into a cement pillar - and never paid the owner for all the damage. 

Honored Contributor

@CBonifacio   You won't know until you have the actual test.  Since you have tested at home for several years with good reports, I would guess you will breeze thru the colonoscopy.

I had my first one 3 years ago at 62....it really is quite easy.  My issue is the time I am under....it bothers me, it's like lost time.  It's just a very odd feeling for me.

Contributor

OMG!! How scary!
Esteemed Contributor

I have had to have a colonoscopy every two years because of family history...i have had about 6 of them.....the prep is annoying as others say and no one likes it....but they put you out for the quick procedure and you feel nothing and wake up and you are done...........just keep telling yourself like i do.....i would rather go through a day of this procedure...then find out i had colon cancer and could have actually prevented it with this quick procedure...........Good luck...i am sure all will turn out fine...............