Respected Contributor

Re: Nervous about colonoscopy

CarliBoni, i just had it a few months ago , and i was 62. The girl that gave me my preps had already had 3 and she was only in her early 50's. I was ready to chicken out , but after all of the prep that i did for the day before  , i wasn't going through all of that for nothing.There are 2 ways to look at it , it could possibly save your life. Or you can take a chance you don't need it.

Respected Contributor

@CBonifacio , I’ve had 3. First one was quite easy. Prep was not fun but I knew that going in. All was fine afterwards. Had a lot of gas for several hours but passed it no problem. The gas wasn't offensive since it was the stuff they pumped into me during procedure. 

Second one, mixed the powder with Gatorade. I threw up while on toilet during prep. Won’t mix stuff with Gatorade again!  All was fine afterwards. Passed lots of gas.

Last one was a few months ago. Prep went ok and didn’t throw up. Used water, not Gatorade. Felt fine going into procedure. I think this was the first time they used propofol on me? Came out of anesthesia quickly. Felt great right away. BUT I got a stunned ileus! Was it from the propofol? Don’t know but be very observant. If you don’t start passing gas once you get home, and several hours go by without expelling gas, let your dr know and he/she will recommend meds to get the process going. Otherwise you may start experiencing pain by the following evening because the gas is having trouble getting out. Mine was really painful. 

Prep: waste can near toilet, lots of diaper wipes. Make sure you have quick access to bathroom without anyone else in the way! Try to get a decent night’s sleep. Post op: Make sure you start passing gas once you get home. Don’t be surprised if it takes a couple of days before you have a bm but as long as you’ve passed the gas, your system is getting back to normal.

Good Luck!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA wrote:
I refuse to have that procedure. No family history and several people I know had some issues after the procedure.

@ALRATIBA  Same here.  What terrifies me is the thought of having a perforated colon!  Everyone mentions the prep as being the worst....I think a perforated colon would be FAR worse.  Yes I know that it's rare but when you have a few very rare things happen in your family one becomes a bit wary when you're told it's rare. 

Plus cancer just doesn't run in my family ....I'm much more worried about heart health.

Respected Contributor

@CBonifacio  When I had mine, the hardest part for me was not being able to drive myself home and having my (really bad driver at the time) teenage daughter take me home.  Everything else was a breeze!

Honored Contributor

On playing the "what if" game with yourself, you have just as much chance of coming out of that with the 50% on your good side.  Don't torture yourself with that game, think positive thoughts, it's easier on you in the long run.  The other thinking, accomplishes nothing good for you.  You go in, do it, done.  

Respected Contributor

This procedure isn't always that easy. My girlfriend had it done and ended in the hospital as they hit one of her organs. And someone my husband knows died from this procedure. So this procedure shouldn't be taken lightly. They need to come out with something that isn't invasive.

Respected Contributor

@CBonifacio Reassurance for what?  Did your doctor prescribe the FIT Tests?  Did you give him the results?  What did he say?  "What if's" don't help.  If your doctor told you to have colonoscopies starting at age 50 and you didn't take his advice, you should have.  Have you told your doctor about your current concerns?  If not, you really ought to.  

I've had numerous colonoscopies.  My genetics produces colon polyps; so be it.  Each time they've removed a large number of growths; none have been cancerous.  I've now reached the age (almost 80) where the procedure is no longer recommended.

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:
I refuse to have that procedure. No family history and several people I know had some issues after the procedure.

@ALRATIBA  Same here.  What terrifies me is the thought of having a perforated colon!  Everyone mentions the prep as being the worst....I think a perforated colon would be FAR worse.  Yes I know that it's rare but when you have a few very rare things happen in your family one becomes a bit wary when you're told it's rare. 

Plus cancer just doesn't run in my family ....I'm much more worried about heart health.

I wouldn't base my decision on that. Cancer doesn't run in my family either--I mean, nowhere--and I got it.  Cancer is funny that way as you just never know & it can strike anyone at anytime. 

Contributor

@Cats3000... our insurance, if you are low risk which I am, has the patient do the FIT tests starting at age 50 and done yearly. I’ve done them yearly, and more and each of them have been negative. I’ve never been told to do a colonoscopy. Kaiser just have you do the FIT tests unless you are higher risk, have family history or symptoms. I’ve had none.

I do have severe anxiety however, so it’s my choice to
Have the colonoscopy just to be sure.

My doctor even told me she’d be fine if I wanted to continue the FIT tests.

Was just looking for support

Contributor