Trusted Contributor

Re: Nervous about colonoscopy

Don't worry.  It's a very easy test, it's the prep that stinks.  But it's worth it.  Colon cancer is a VERY SLOW growing cancer which is why they recommend a colonoscopy every 10 years.  I had my 1st one at 50 and am having my next one in April at age 60.  I would think that if there were truly anything wrong you would probably be having pain, maybe blood in the urine, etc.  Just guessing on those but your body would tell you if something were wrong.  Let me reassure you that it is very important to have this test done.  Congrats to you for getting it done!  

Contributor

@LuvmyLab wrote:

Don't worry.  It's a very easy test, it's the prep that stinks.  But it's worth it.  Colon cancer is a VERY SLOW growing cancer which is why they recommend a colonoscopy every 10 years.  I had my 1st one at 50 and am having my next one in April at age 60.  I would think that if there were truly anything wrong you would probably be having pain, maybe blood in the urine, etc.  Just guessing on those but your body would tell you if something were wrong.  Let me reassure you that it is very important to have this test done.  Congrats to you for getting it done!  

Thank you.  I'm having it done this afternoon.  The prep last night was not bad at all!

Honored Contributor

@LuvmyLab 

An FYI for you and all others about this fact. I know because I spent weeks in the hospital because of it. Several times over several years.

Blood shows up in your stool, not your urine, and it is black. If a person sees this, not blood itself, it could means your colon is bleeding. That is how mine surfaced several times, over several years. It could possibly be something you ate, black licorice is one I know could cause it. Checking your stool is the smart thing to do.

@CBonifacio ,

I hope all goes well for you this afternoon. Let us know will ya?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Both my mother and grandmother died from colon cancer and I have had a few colonoscopies already.  Everyone is right, the prep is the worst part.  Last summer I was having some problems and am now on medication.  Had a checkup colonoscopy a few weeks ago and everything looked clear.  Am going to my doc Monday and hoping he can tell me I don't need to keep taking the medication and that I don't need another colonoscopy for a few years.  Here's hoping.   I think it's a great thing that they have these tests that can detect a problem so early.  Good luck to you

Contributor

All went well yesterday! All clear for ten years and everyone was right! It was sooooo easy and I was treated very well by the doctor and nurses! It was easier than a teeth cleaning!
Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@kivah,

I HATE going to the dentist and would rather prep for a colonoscopy twice a year than have my teeth cleaned!

My teeth and gums are sensitive, and my mouth is already getting sore before I even get out of the chair.   I sleep peacefully thru a colonoscopy, and my *** isn’t sore when it’s over!

My dad was the first person in his family to be diagnosed with colon cancer, but 2 nephews were diagnosed last year.   

I love my dental hygenist --- while she's cleaning my teeth, we NEVER stop talking and laughing. I just don't like it if I need work done - for my age, I still have my teeth.

Contributor

I have my first one done two years ago now and I dreaded it. The procedure itself was no big deal. The prep beforehand, however was terrible. I didn't think I could tolerate drinking any more of that stuff. They give you to drink to flush you out. The Frustrating thing for me was the prep didn't kick in. Until about three or four hours before I was supposed to leave to have the procedure done.
Valued Contributor

@CBonifacio wrote:
All went well yesterday! All clear for ten years and everyone was right! It was sooooo easy and I was treated very well by the doctor and nurses! It was easier than a teeth cleaning!

Glad it went well  - I go in a month for mine .....

What prep did you use?  I have two options to use, haven't filled the RX yet.

I only get nervous as the last one I woke up during it, and felt crampy - not really pain, but uncomfortable and I was told I'm very twisty and had scar tissue from previous surgery (ovaries/tubes) so think I may make an appt to talk with the dr prior to the acutual procedure just to note what occured the last time - different dr.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had several, and I am always nervous. First of all, I'm afraid they will find something horrible. Secondly, I am always nervous when I am put out, even though what they give you isn't very powerful. I think it's just natural to be a little apprehensive. My first one, though, was the one in which I was most nervous, probably because of the unnown.

Honored Contributor

@CBonifacio wrote:

The unknown can be scary, I'm so glad it went well for you, and in no time you'll be reassuring others, that it's a breeze.  Woman Wink