Contributor

Re: Nervous about colonoscopy

Thank you! Ive read that the FIT test can pick up pre cancerous polyps, not just cancer.
Contributor

Well... I can't tell you not to be nervous, but if there are any polyps they will get them all out.  You will be out while they do the test - and it doesn't take long.  The worse thing is drinking the prep for the test!  Yuck.  But - I waited too until I was maybe around 50 - they did find some polyps, but got 'em all.  If they find `anything, and it  is small, better to get it now than to wait until a problem is too big to fix.  Have confidence, and know you are doing the right thing.  It is good to have a baseline for the test anyway.

Honored Contributor

The doctor who did my husbands colonoscopy told us those home stool tests you collect and send away to be analyzed are a waste of time and money. My husband had his first colonoscopy done at 73 years old and the doc removed 6 large polyps. I don't know if the polyps would have given him trouble down the line, but I'm glad he had them removed. I think if you are healthy and have no hidden health problems a colonoscopy is worth the risk.

Honored Contributor

@CBonifacio wrote:
Thank you! Ive read that the FIT test can pick up pre cancerous polyps, not just cancer.

Very true, it did for a friend of mine, after the FIT she had a regular colonoscopy to remove the benign polyp detected in the FIT. But from now on, she needs to have the regular test done and forego the FIT.  No longer a candidate for the FIT. 

Esteemed Contributor

I started having colonoscopies after age 50 as part of my routine healthcare.  The first few were negative, but in recent years I have experienced recurring precancerous polyps. I'm having my 2020 procedure soon, and as terrible as the prep is, if that is the test I must have to follow up on the condition of my colon so be it.  The cleansing preparation drink is unpleasant, but adjusting my diet to lighter fare the week before and beginning the cleansing process with gentle OTC Miralax before consuming the RX prep drink works well for me. My doctor asks for a two-day liquid diet ahead of the procedure which also helps clean out the system faster.

@CBonifacio Good luck. To those who have had colon issues I pray your health remains well. 

Esteemed Contributor

My doctor recommended I get a colonoscopy 2 yrs ago. I went to another doctor's office and picked up a kit - a mixture where I added liquids, etc. I paid around $35 and went home - as the colonoscopy was set up for several days later. I then decided I couldn't drink all that liquid - so I tossed out the kit.

My doctor called me wanting to know why I hadn't scheduled an appt - and I told him that I decided not to go. He pretty much forced me to go - as I had ovarian cancer 12 yrs previous. I went back and bought another kit - for $35.

Drinking all that liquid wasn't the problem. 

I have a bedroom/bath downstairs in my house - and someone was using it. So - I had to run from the back of my house - to the front where my stairs are. Then up the stairs thru my bedroom to my bathroom. This happened many times a day - and I was 77 yrs old then.

They removed 1 polyp -- and I was so glad I had it done. I have issues with my colon - and now it's not as severe.

They put me to sleep - and once it was over - I woke up very quickly.

Don't remember a thing.

It was nothing!!!!!

Contributor

@kivah... was this your first one?
Honored Contributor

@CBonifacio  The dr. bugged me about having the test and I refuse.  I never took the stool tests either as I would forget to pick up the test materials. I am still here.  Cancer does not run in my family.  I think if it did, I would have the test.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@CBonifacio wrote:
@kivah... was this your first one?

1st one!!!

I have to go back in 3 years (which is 5 years after that one)

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@CBonifacio  The dr. bugged me about having the test and I refuse.  I never took the stool tests either as I would forget to pick up the test materials. I am still here.  Cancer does not run in my family.  I think if it did, I would have the test.

I recommend everyone (over the recommended age) get tested.

Cancer runs in most families!!!!! Could even be 2 generations ago.

One doctor's office told me that they're seeing females in their 20's being diagnosed with cancer. What's the big deal????

I'd rather have that done than go to the dentist.