Honored Contributor

Re: Neiman Marcus to File Bankruptcy

[ Edited ]

Part of the problem wayyyyyyyy BEFORE the pandemic was the short sighted vision of CEOS, as was the case with JCP and their former Apple Exec who drove them to the brink (he was replaced)..... the changes Mr. Electronic "genius" made only further drove away in-store traffic. 

And JCP like Macys and Nordstrom failed to update their technology and fell behind and failed to keep up with the changing trend of on-line shopping, and order online and pick up in store shopping......Instead their "solution" to limit stock in-store did was to discourage even less in-store traffic......

There's old threads out there with copies of articles and all the gory details....  So we will see if this pandemic is the final nail in the coffin for some of these retail companies....or whether someway, somehow they will hang on and manage to survive! .... Sad because it leaves customers with fewer retail choices, which in turn leads to higher prices....and of course fewer jobs....Woman Sad

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

It will be a sad, sad day for me when (not if) Macy's goes out of business.  But their real estate holdings have got to be worth a lot so hopefully it will survive for the foreseeable future.

I haven't been in Macy's in years. The last time I was the clothing was cheap, there was not a sales person to be seen and the store looked terrible. Never went back.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I am at my parents' house - they are both gone now - and down in the basement is a Neiman's metal boot rack. NM was our go-to store for so many things.  This is very sad, but the world is changing.

Esteemed Contributor

If NM charged reasonable prices for just normal stuff  - instead of trying to be the snobby rich people's shopping center - perhaps things would be different for them.  I never check NM website when hunting for something.  Just don't bother.  Macy's is a close second.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ellaphant wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

It will be a sad, sad day for me when (not if) Macy's goes out of business.  But their real estate holdings have got to be worth a lot so hopefully it will survive for the foreseeable future.

I haven't been in Macy's in years. The last time I was the clothing was cheap, there was not a sales person to be seen and the store looked terrible. Never went back.

@ellaphant 

From the Macy's stores I've visited around my town....they all seem to be poorly managed....Even the store in a very high end mall that still gets a lot of customers---the store looks nice up front but when you start to shop---there's clothes on the floor, the racks are so full you cant even browse through them....merchandise poorly organized, the dressing rooms are dirty....and the few personnel they have are on personal calls on their cell phones.... Where's the Management!!!! 

I had a relative in the retail business she worked her way up from Department Manager to Store Manager and went on to work for a Boutique as a District Manager....Her stores always were tops in sales....she was constantly on the employees to properly merchandise and keep the store clean....she could buy from outside vendors rather than chosing to sell just the brands coporate office sent...it took a lot of work, but it seems few Managers these days want to put in the time.....  And a poorly run store just makes shoppers stay home and easily check competitors prices and order online elsewhere...

Its funny because the top retailer still getting a lot of in-store traffic and an increase in in-store traffic (before the pandemic) were th TJ Maxx stores....even millenials like to shop there....good prices, nice variety of merchandise the stores are well organized and clean....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

@fthunt , I love to shop at Neiman Marcus but I wouldn't really agree with you about high prices for "normal stuff".  They don't really carry everyday things.  I go there for items of high quality that are different, made very well, and not your run of the mill merchandise. I for one will be very sad if they go out of business.  Unlike Macy's,  you never have to hunt down someone to help you or a cashier to pay at.  They take very good care of you.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@ellaphant wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

@ellaphant 

From the Macy's stores I've visited around my town....they all seem to be poorly managed....Even the store in a very high end mall that still gets a lot of customers---the store looks nice up front but when you start to shop---there's clothes on the floor, the racks are so full you cant even browse through them....merchandise poorly organized, the dressing rooms are dirty....and the few personnel they have are on personal calls on their cell phones.... Where's the Management!!!! 

I had a relative in the retail business she worked her way up from Department Manager to Store Manager and went on to work for a Boutique as a District Manager....Her stores always were tops in sales....she was constantly on the employees to properly merchandise and keep the store clean....she could buy from outside vendors rather than chosing to sell just the brands coporate office sent...it took a lot of work, but it seems few Managers these days want to put in the time.....  And a poorly run store just makes shoppers stay home and easily check competitors prices and order online elsewhere...

Its funny because the top retailer still getting a lot of in-store traffic and an increase in in-store traffic (before the pandemic) were th TJ Maxx stores....even millenials like to shop there....good prices, nice variety of merchandise the stores are well organized and clean....

I agree with you about Macy's.  The last time I tried shopping there was a major frustration. People today aren't into spending a lot of time browsing because we all can narrow down our selections online. I went to their store to find a particular item I had seen online but their racks were so messy and disorganized I gave up.

They also haven't done well with their online shopping experience.  Shipping is high but you can pick up your items free in store.  I have done that several times and every time the service was slow, not to mention there's the hassle of having to find mall parking. One time they couldn't even find my order.

Younger generations now are used to Amazon with fast service.  Stores like Macy's have to change if they are to survive.

Esteemed Contributor

This mess can't be helpful to any retailers. At the end we'll have Walmart and amazon. 

Bye bye independent retailers. 

Keepin' it real.
Super Contributor

And so it begins

Esteemed Contributor

I hope Macy's can at least keep an on-line presence. I do not shop there often, but when I could not find what I needed elsewhere it seems they always came through, and at good prices, most memorable being my MOG dress a few years ago. I usually shopped there around and following the holidays. 

Check out their site today. I picked up several clothing & accessory items yesterday at greast prices, including another MOG dress. They are recently engaged and I am fearful that I will be unable to find a dress if Macy's goes out of business.