Honored Contributor

Re: Neil Diamond is retiring immediately

@Kachina624 wrote:

That is indeed sad news.  Neil Diamond is a fantastic entertainer.  There have been several singers that I didn't "discover" until they were gone, including Elvis, John Denver, and Marty Robins.

@Kachina624  We were indeed fortunate to see him live in concert several times. I guess we were “groupies”. If he performed within 100 miles, we were there.

Respected Contributor

It is hard to fathom he is 77.  He and John Denver, polar opposites are my favorites,  Diamond in concert is an experience beyond description.  Saw him three times.  Hot August night best live concert album.  So many favorites from where he started, rock,  to his love songs.  Who doesn't remember You Don't Bring Me Flowers with Streisand at the Grammys???  Electric.   But my all time favorite on stage moment in concert Brother Loves Traveling Salvation Show!!!  The build up, the power, the band.  His amazing band.  I wish him well.  So many memories.

Respected Contributor

Very saddened to hear of his disease.  Love his music and have had the privilege of seeing him many times in concert.  Thanks for all the memories.

Trusted Contributor

SAD news for sure.  What a great performer he is.  His songs bring back such memories and make ya just smile. Even in his older age, he still had it..the voice the moves.

I can still remember watching the JAZZ SINGER !!!

Hes a fighter , but a hard disease.  May God bless and keep him in His care during this hard journey.

LOVE TO NEIL !Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Neil Diamond is one of my favorites.He is such a wonderful performer & songwriter.He wrote many hit songs for himself & other artists.

Another thing I greatly admired about him was his loving & giving heart.Neil always gave back in appreciation for all he was blessed to have.He did it anonymously, although often times he was outed. 

A few years back he was performing somewhere in the south.He learned about a fundraiser the next town over for a couple of local families who lost their homes to a fire.He showed up “incognito” & sat in the back. After he left he donated the exact amount of money needed to rebuild the homes.He has also sent countless kids to college & paid medical bills for others.

Neil Diamond.Singer,songwriter,storyteller & humanitarian! Thanks for the memories. 

Honored Contributor

Man, I hate to hear this.  Touring only or no.  Neil Diamond still is probably my favorite singer, from the time I was a teen.  Maybe because of the time in my life he emerged.  So many of my life events I can relate to one of his songs.  His was the first concert I attended.  What a voice.

Wish him the best, under the circumstances.

Honored Contributor

I love the singer/song writers.  I have seen Neil Diamond several times at the Greek Theater in LA when he was at his peak.  I was there the night that Hot August Night was recorded.  

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

He has always been my absolute favorite.  I even loved the movie, The Jazz Singer, to the point that I've watched it several times.  I never tire of his music.  I never had the opportunity to see him in person sadly.  I'm really sorry to hear that he has Parkinson's disease.  He's such an awesome talent.  Even though he'll hopefully continue to compose, I can't imagine anyone singing his songs like he does.  Such a remarkable talent.  I wish him the best in dealing with this condition.  Parkinson's is awful.  I watched my father go through it for several years before he died (of colon cancer).

@Krimpette

I have this movie DVD.  I watch it from time to time mostly for the songs.  "Song of Life" is my favorite.  His "Coming to America" is really timely these days and I wonder why no one is playing it?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

That's another sad disease anyone can get.  He'll always be special for "Sweet Caroline" to me.  Doesn't Michael J. Fox have this too?  That's so sad. 

So does Linda Ronstadt, she can no longer sing, so sad.

@QVCkitty1

Yes!  One of the purest female voices ever.  She even sang opera in "The Pirates of Penzance."

My favorite was "Blue Bayou."

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

What has being Jewish got to do with playing his records and dancing?