Honored Contributor

My friend and next door neighbor just called me to make sure I was OK and ask if I needed anything.

Her son is the young man who often carries up my groceries.  But lately, he's been working and busy at school.  So I've been managing on my own.

Anyway, I'm a very independent person.  I learned how to be that way from the time I was 13 years old and went to live with my single daughter and her 4 children.  I was the "mother" and she was the "father".

So my friend ran down the list of what she could share.  She said, "I have 2 cases of water, I can share, I have 2 packages of toilet paper and I made my own hand sanitizer.  I can share it all with you."

I said, "Well, I have 4 cases of water (I only drink a specific kind), I have plenty of toilet paper AND lots of hand sanitizer.

So, I told her thanks but you keep your water and toilet paper.  I told her that I will put on the front porch a large unopened bottle of hand sanitizer and if she needs anything else to please call me.

I'm sure many of you know of and have offered up whatever you have and can to your neighbors.

When I told my girls about the neighbor calling, they laughed and said, "Mom, does she know you".  I laughed and said, well I guess her son never mentioned all of the water and stuff he brings into my house normally before all of this started.

I like specific toilet paper, specific bottled water and use hand sanitizer by the pints.  I always have.  Remember.....germaphobe.

It's wonderful how we can and do all help each other.  My neighbor is first generation American.  She is so kind and sweet.  She's taught me so much about her Mother country, it's people, foods and so on.

Anyway, I posted because for a long time now there has been so much doom and gloom, we all need to be reminded about the goodness in all of us.

My daughter told me last week that her 3 teenagers told her that generation feels the doom and gloom and sadness.  

My daughter was upset that she didn't think they realized how serious this was.  That's when they told her about their feelings of doom and gloom.

But I told her it won't last.  This feeling of doom and gloom will disappear and they'll be testing her and their boundaries again before she knows it.

It's the nature of the youth to take chances and not realize the danger.  It's because your children are involved that they do realize it's necessary to be in that mode now; but, like I said, it will change back.

We're going to get through this in this country.  

I've never liked being around people who are precise, feel such a sense of doom and gloom and so quickly grasp and realize danger.

I've always been someone who sees the glass 1/2 full.

My oldest daughter is the opposite.  My point is it takes people with various personalities to make this country great.

You have no idea what I've been hearing from my oldest daughter since .....December.  Yep!  December, she started in on this.  Not this exact thing but something was going to disrupt things.  Then it was "I've been hearing from friends in other countries...they've been seeing signs".  And on and on!

My favorite thing is the way companies are stepping up.  The liquor industry is making hand sanitizers.  The automative industry is making breathing apartus, Hanes is now making masks instead of underwear.

Americans pull together when necessary.

When we took a month and traveled all over Europe, this was back around 1998 we saw people's faces when they heard us that we were American.  I had some fun conversations with people who hadn't traveled much.  The one thing I heard was that they'd love to visit America one day.

Respected Contributor

Re: Neighbors helping neighbors

From what I've seen on TV a lot of goodwill has broken out everywhere and everyone seems to be trying to be helping in some way.  I've decided that rather than run to the store for me, I've been cleaning out my freezer.  ALL those meals that I made and put leftovers in the freezer - are finally getting used up.  

My hope is that when we are on the other side of this pandemic that ppl remember some of the good things we've done for each other during this time and continue it.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Financialgrl wrote:

From what I've seen on TV a lot of goodwill has broken out everywhere and everyone seems to be trying to be helping in some way.  I've decided that rather than run to the store for me, I've been cleaning out my freezer.  ALL those meals that I made and put leftovers in the freezer - are finally getting used up.  

My hope is that when we are on the other side of this pandemic that ppl remember some of the good things we've done for each other during this time and continue it.  

It is amazing all the goodwill...all the selfless acts being performed in communities...not just in our own areas but in communities worldwide.  This pandemic in various countries...reminds us often times we are more alike than we are different.  We all need the basics..food, shelter, air and water.  People risking their own health, wellbeing to offer themselves, their assistance to those perhaps more vulnerable.  The good will of others never ceases to amaze.  And those working in various professions, everyone on the front lines in so many professions...will never be able to say "thank you" enough.

And, like you...I too am "shopping my freezer", lol.  It's a good thing!

Esteemed Contributor

Am I losing it? No matter how times I read it I still see you saying that at age 13 you had a daughter who had 4 children that you went to live with. Maybe if I read it enough times it'll make sense.

Anyhow, I also had a neighbor across the street and down 2 houses call me today because she hadn't seen me puttering outside the house nor driving down the street in a couple of weeks and she was worrying.(yes i was sick & housebound for almost 2 weeks) We've both been on this street for over 40 years. In fact we're the only "originals" from when the neighborhood was new. Our kids grew up together. My point, it's good to know someone still keeps an eye and worries when you haven't been seen for awhile.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl ... I believe she meant her sister.  Seems I remember her saying that once.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

@Preds wrote:

@shaggygirl ... I believe she meant her sister.  Seems I remember her saying that once.

@Preds 

Aha, now that would make sense! (and also mean it's not just me not be able to think clearly)

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

@Preds wrote:

@Preds 

Aha, now that would make sense! (and also mean it's not just me not be able to think clearly)

Nope, not you ... this time @shaggygirl .  Smiley Wink  LOL

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

I have two friends that have bought in bulk since their 20's lol  I am just the opposite and how sweet of both of them to offer me toilet paper.  I am good for now but I told them its nice to know that they have extraSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Do you wonder perhaps the country needed this?  Ive been thinking anout it alot.  We have become so selfish and disrespectful towards each other.  People are always in a hurry with neery a smile.  Kids disrespect their parent, teachers and authority figures.  Crime and drug use is rampant, All across the country people hate their lives, theres no community anymore. Everyone wants to be a Kardashian.  Maybe things will change for the better.  Hate to see anyone sick though, I hope it starts to reverse itself shortly and we have a new normal.

Respected Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

Do you wonder perhaps the country needed this?  Ive been thinking anout it alot.  We have become so selfish and disrespectful towards each other.  People are always in a hurry with neery a smile.  Kids disrespect their parent, teachers and authority figures.  Crime and drug use is rampant, All across the country people hate their lives, theres no community anymore. Everyone wants to be a Kardashian.  Maybe things will change for the better.  Hate to see anyone sick though, I hope it starts to reverse itself shortly and we have a new normal.

No, I do not think that the country needed this. It's sad that you have such a negative view of people.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky