Respected Contributor

Re: Neighbor’s House Paint

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

@Ainhisg 

I'm quite serious.

What those neighbors did was unacceptable, rude, and presumptuous.

I suspect those who have been dismissive of the OP's justified feelings, and mine, indentify with the copycats.

My statement refers to how you would treat a neighbor.  I would not treat a neighbor the way you said you would. I would do the right thing and be friendly. PS...my home is all brick, so this isn't a personal issue to me. We reroofed our home in 2018, and a neighbor with a similar brick color liked it so much, that he asked what shingle/color it was. I was more than happy to tell him, because I know how long it took to find the roof I have and how difficult it was finding the "perfect" color to compliment the brick. I was glad to help.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pezzie wrote:

@Biftu  On the other hand, your neighbors are painting it a color that you love, since you painstakingly chose it.  Wouldn't you rather see that each time you left your house?  What if their choice was some horrendous color?

Would you be happier?

@Pezzie 

Exactly!! I have a neighbor in my subdivision that painted their two story home Pepto Bismo Pink. UGHHH. It's such an eye sore. 

Honored Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

@santorini wrote:

@Biftu wrote:

@River Song wrote:

Seriously?  You're upset about paint color?  Talk about a First World problem.  It's paint.  It's not a life-threatening situation.  You have no control over the actions of other people so why bother getting upset over something you can't control.  Waste of time, effort and head-space.

@River Song  Yes, seriously.  I merely said I found it upsetting, certainly not comparing it to a first world problem or a life threatening situation.  Just curious how others would feel.  As I said, it is their house and they can do as they want.  I was just surprised when I saw the same color as mine.

@Biftu Again, what color is it?  It must not be a common color like white or beige.

@santorini  It's a mid tone grey,  black shutters, and a deep burgundy door.

Sounds pretty!

I'm glad  that since I live in an HOA (which so many think is so awful... but it actually isn't depending on the community), one can't have the exact same color scheme as your next door neighbors.

Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

@Imaoldhippie  I know that is what we should feel,  but I really don't care for people copying .  I think people should be original find your own nitch and taste .   We have a neighbor who when we put in new landscaping he did almost the same as we had right down to the stone pagoda !    Well the following spring I changed it around A bit , just enough somours weren't identical !  There house is way up the street . We only have total now of 15 homes in our neighborhood area.  It's more or less rural , lots of woods between each house and in back.  .   The lots are at least 1 1/2 acres ours is over 2 acres.   

i get where the poster is coming from.  

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Biftu wrote:

@santorini wrote:

@Biftu wrote:

@River Song wrote:

Seriously?  You're upset about paint color?  Talk about a First World problem.  It's paint.  It's not a life-threatening situation.  You have no control over the actions of other people so why bother getting upset over something you can't control.  Waste of time, effort and head-space.

@River Song  Yes, seriously.  I merely said I found it upsetting, certainly not comparing it to a first world problem or a life threatening situation.  Just curious how others would feel.  As I said, it is their house and they can do as they want.  I was just surprised when I saw the same color as mine.

@Biftu Again, what color is it?  It must not be a common color like white or beige.

Sounds pretty!

I'm glad  that since I live in an HOA (which so many think is so awful... but it actually isn't depending on the community), one can't have the exact same color scheme as your next door neighbors.

My HOA is different.  We cannot have any of the condominiums in different colors.  All the condos and doors must be the same color.  I keep thinking of the song "Paint it Black".  I see a red door and I want to paint it black.  Unfortunately I cannot have a black or red door.

Esteemed Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@Pezzie wrote:

@Biftu  On the other hand, your neighbors are painting it a color that you love, since you painstakingly chose it.  Wouldn't you rather see that each time you left your house?  What if their choice was some horrendous color?

Would you be happier?

@Pezzie 

Exactly!! I have a neighbor in my subdivision that painted their two story home Pepto Bismo Pink. UGHHH. It's such an eye sore. 

Oh how horrible !   Maybe they are color blind 🫨🙀

Valued Contributor

I just wish my neighbors would paint their house.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lgfan wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@Biftu wrote:

@santorini wrote:

@Biftu wrote:

@River Song wrote:

Sounds pretty!

My HOA is different.  We cannot have any of the condominiums in different colors.  All the condos and doors must be the same color.  I keep thinking of the song "Paint it Black".  I see a red door and I want to paint it black.  Unfortunately I cannot have a black or red door.

My old HOA was like yours, @spumoni but the color of the front door was also dictated and I would have liked a color with a bit more pizazz.  

I guess I am petty but having a direct neighbor copy my exact color choices would be annoying.  I'd still lend them a cup of sugar but grudgingly 😏😆

Honored Contributor

On the bright side, at least you'll like the color. It's better than having it painted a funky color. 
Maybe paint the door a different color. 

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

@Ainhisg 

I'm quite serious.

What those neighbors did was unacceptable, rude, and presumptuous.

I suspect those who have been dismissive of the OP's justified feelings, and mine, indentify with the copycats.

My statement refers to how you would treat a neighbor.  I would not treat a neighbor the way you said you would. I would do the right thing and be friendly. PS...my home is all brick, so this isn't a personal issue to me. We reroofed our home in 2018, and a neighbor with a similar brick color liked it so much, that he asked what shingle/color it was. I was more than happy to tell him, because I know how long it took to find the roof I have and how difficult it was finding the "perfect" color to compliment the brick. I was glad to help.

@Ainhisg A roof is way different than a whole house color.