Respected Contributor

Re: Neighbor's German Shepard bit the mailman

Seriously nobody who has defended German Shepherds or any dog has abdicated that they run free unchecked. I know I have not on any of my posts. I think if a dog is in there yard and that yard is fenced in (In NJ that is a requirement for dogs. They are not allowed to roam unleashed. We do have dog parks but that is different) My point was that the original title made a point of calling attention to the breed. I have been bit by a poodle and a beagle. Obviously smaller dogs but still vicious from pov. We never allowed our shepherds to run around unattended in our front yard. 

Honored Contributor

THIS IS NOT A DIRECT RESPONSE TO ANY ONE POST OR POSTER.  It is just my 2 cents:

To me, there is a huge distinction between dogs and children and dogs and people.  Yes, you do OWN a dog.  You probably acquired the dog, you probably paid for the dog, you are responsible for the dog, you made the decision to get it.

The safety of people around you comes first.  Not the dog.  The people who decided to get the dog and own the dog are responsible for it's behavior and it's access to other dogs and people.

Sorry, but legally dogs are owned, and that puts the onus on the owner for the dog's actions.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm  not sure why German Shepard in the title is a big deal.  It was a..........German Shepherd.. If the OP just posted that  "a dog" bit  the mailman then posters would be asking what type of dog.  Is there a PC rule about this too?

You can't win around here sometimes. 

And yes, a larger dog is seen as a threat due to its size.  Little foo-foo yappers may cause more bites but being confronted by a dog who could easily take down a person is a whole 'nother story.

Imagine that German Shepherd in a grocery store.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

It just goes to show how cheap postage really is, with all the thing the postal employees endure

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I'm  not sure why German Shepard in the title is a big deal.  It was a..........German Shepherd.. If the OP just posted that  "a dog" bit  the mailman then posters would be asking what type of dog.  Is there a PC rule about this too?

You can't win around here sometimes. 

And yes, a larger dog is seen as a threat due to its size.  Little foo-foo yappers may cause more bites but being confronted by a dog who could easily take down a person is a whole 'nother story.

Imagine that German Shepherd in a grocery store.

Apparently not since you took issue with what we took issue with. BTW, a little foofoo can do damage to a child's face. Everyone keeps saying ankles yeah if the victim is an adult who has a better chance to defend themselves. A child or infant against a smaller breed is just as bad and reflexes may not be so quick. I  have seen a small dog attack a toddler who fell backwards and the dog got on top of them before the parent could pull the dog off. The child needed stitches so there ya go foo foos just as dangerous. As for the title this is getting old. 

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

It just goes to show how cheap postage really is, with all the thing the postal employees endure

For a second, I thought you meant to be on another thread, lol.

Honored Contributor

I had a paperroute when I was young.

I was bitten by a German Shepard.

I've always been afraid of them!!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

Sooner wrote:  THIS IS NOT A DIRECT RESPONSE TO ANY ONE POST OR POSTER.  It is just my 2 cents:

To me, there is a huge distinction between dogs and children and dogs and people.  Yes, you do OWN a dog.  You probably acquired the dog, you probably paid for the dog, you are responsible for the dog, you made the decision to get it.

The safety of people around you comes first.  Not the dog.  The people who decided to get the dog and own the dog are responsible for it's behavior and it's access to other dogs and people.

Sorry, but legally dogs are owned, and that puts the onus on the owner for the dog's actions.

@Sooner    Your 2¢ is worth as much as anyone else's, and I don't think we differ as much as implied above.  While I choose not to use the word "own" in reference to animals anymore than I would with a child, I never in a million years would deny complete responsibility for accepting either into my life.

I have taken your above post and ever-so slightly changed its direction.  I think it will demonstrate how closely we align, as I completely agree with it as well.  Here is the revision:

You probably have a child, you probably support the child, you are responsible for the child, you made the decision to have it.

The safety of people around you comes first. The people who decided to have the child are responsible for its behavior and its access to other people.  Sorry, but legally that puts the onus on the parent for the child's actions.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.