Respected Contributor

Re: Neighbor's German Shepard bit the mailman

@IamMrsG wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I  love German Shepherds and my first dog was one we had for 17 years.

But, NO DOG should be loose like they are doing.  Going up to a house provokes territorial responses in many dogs, and the postman does that.  Same with making deliveries.

This is the fault of the owner and she should be held responsible.  I would also be extra careful about a dog that bites unprovoked.  Hope the dog was up to date on rabies vaccination.

Owners are responsible for their dogs.

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003  Thank you!  After all these posts, you are the first person to spell the breed's name correctly.  Reading this thread has been tantamount to fingernails on a chalkboard for me.  The correct breed name is German Shepherd Dog.

It is the only breed of dog I have ever truly loved.  They are magnificent animals--beautiful, loyal, fun loving and highly intelligent.  As was mentioned earlier, it is a working breed and the dogs require lots of activity to keep them happy and mentally healthy.  

There is a list of the Top Ten Most Dangerous Dog Breeds, and the German Shepherd Dog has been on it for a long time.  When the 

homeowners' insurance company learns they have a GSD in the house, particularly one that has bitten, their premiums are going to skyrocket.

Sadly, due to the owner's complete negligence, I'm afraid this dog's life might be in danger now.  I sincerely wish the neighborhood had strongly intervened before this became the issue.  

Edited to try to correct wonky spacing.  

I love them!  Probably influenced by my first wonderful dog.

They are magnificent animals, and cause me to look every time I see one!

Hyacinth

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyDaisy  Perhaps it will be the parents, as homeowners, that will bear the result of this sad event.  Hope they have homeowners insurance. 

Respected Contributor

First, how bad was the mail man bit?  I do hope he's OK, but was it a ****** or a severe bite? He may have gone to the hospital as just a precaution and part of what they are told to do.

What happens next really depends on where  you live.  It will vary state to state, county to county, city to city.  There is no way to know.  You could try looking it up on your city website.

The dog may be removed and quaranteened at the local shelter, possibly given a "hearing" to determine if he's a danger to the community.  After that any number of things can happen.  The owner may have to put up a secure 6 sided enclosure in her yard, pay heavy fines (possibly into the thousands), etc. to keep the animal there. Worst case, the animal would be put down.  All of this could take MONTHS and longer.

People have got to take pet ownership seriously.  I see so many dogs come across my Facebook and lost or stolen.  I must see up to 50 a day (and that's only those that know about the Facebook pages).  By having a secured fenced yard with locked gates, NOT leaving your dogs in your cars without you, not leaving your dogs outside (even with a fence) when you aren't home, etc. a lot of this would not happen.

I hope the dog survives this. I hope the owner of the house gets SMART.  Me, I'd make the daughter go and keep the dog.

Respected Contributor

@GSPgirl, the exact same thing happened to us & our dog many moons ago. The only difference was that our dog blew straight through the screen door to get to the mailman! The mailman maced her, and until we moved away, we had to pick up our mail at the P.O.

And we got a security door. Wish we'd had one earlier.

Muddling through...
Esteemed Contributor

One of the neighbors inquired about the mailman. He got bit in his right hand. They said that he will be 'off work for awhile' and will probably be assigned to a different neighborhood when he does come back

Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I love animals as much as anyone, but this defending the "breed" at the expense of the person is ridiculous.

My granddaughter was at college and heard a girl screaming.  She looked out and saw that she was being attacked by a pit bull.  My granddaughter - and others ran out to help.  Several people - including my granddaughter were bitten by this dog.

The owner insisted the breed was "gentle" and implied that these people "provoked" the dog.  The initial victim was just walking down the street - and did nothing to the dog.  She was hospitalized over this and my granddaughter's leg is badly scarred.

The dog was euthanized. 

I'm as sorry as anyone when animals are mistreated, but that is not the fault of innocent people who are attacked for no reason - as apparently occurred with the mailman.

Whats ridiculous is this sentence. We were not there so have no idea what happened.

And I will defend the breeds when others get a pass because oh they are so cute or get the pass cause they are a popular breed. While Pitts and Shepards are just as good with the right person and not the usual  angry ignorant mob trying to get rid of them.

You have made my point - we don't know what happened.  What - the mailman probably "did something to deserve it?"  The breed being so gentle and all.

Well apparently we know that the dog was running free without a leash and it attacked the mail man - who was not even in the dog's yard.

I guess I am part of the "angry ignorant mob" that insists that these "gentle" dogs be kept under the owner's control at all times.

Its like you did not read my first reply to this thread, read the second took issue with it and went off from there. I made my point not yours. As for the angry mob reference I was talking in general. If you want to be associated with that feel free.

Let me add you by your qoute marks are obviously trying to imply these dogs are not gentle. Which is a fail as they are if like any dog they do not feel threatened. I guess you over react around certain dogs since you obviously hate those dogs that you prejudge.  And they can sense it which puts them on the defense not knowing how you will react.

@AngusandBuddhasMom How can anyone categorize all dogs by gentle vs. brute?  Doesn't each dog have its own temperant despite their breed?  Dogs don't have individuation?  They are just as complex as humans.  You can't generalize canine behavior like this anymore than you can for human behavior.

I did not lump all dogs into a generalization I am amazed that is what you got out of my post.  I agree they are complex as any humans and did not generalize. Having grown up with Sheperds I am well aware of their temperments being as different as that of other dogs. 

Respected Contributor

Every insurance company establishes its own list, and there is no hard criteria for it; however, the 14 most often blacklisted dog breeds are:
  • Pit Bull Terriers
  • Staffordshire Terriers
  • Rottweilers
  • German Shepherds
  • Presa Canarios
  • Chows Chows
  • Doberman Pinschers
  • Akitas
  • Wolf-hybrids
  • Mastiffs
  • Cane Corsos
  • Great Danes
  • Alaskan Malamutes
  • Siberian Huskies

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG wrote:

Every insurance company establishes its own list, and there is no hard criteria for it; however, the 14 most often blacklisted dog breeds are:
  • Pit Bull Terriers
  • Staffordshire Terriers
  • Rottweilers
  • German Shepherds
  • Presa Canarios
  • Chows Chows
  • Doberman Pinschers
  • Akitas
  • Wolf-hybrids
  • Mastiffs
  • Cane Corsos
  • Great Danes
  • Alaskan Malamutes
  • Siberian Huskies

Back in the article I citied, I think most of these dogs are what's also called the "bully breeds."  Now that is NOT to say that individual dogs - treated properly and properly trained - can't be good pets.  However, unfortunately if they DON'T get proper care and/or if the owner WANTS them to be vicious (and the article also said many bad owners flock to these breeds) they are much more dangerous than say chihuahuas who may also not receive proper care and training.

I am not sure why this is such a controversial point to make.

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

Just my two cents here but I think folks have gotten so lax in their training and attention to their pets.  How can you think it is acceptable to let a dog out the front door so they can do their business on someone else's lawn and think this is just fine?

When I was seven years old, I was walking home from school bundled up in some God forsaken snowsuit (think South Park) so I could only see like three inches in circumfrance.  All I can remember of the incident was the horrified look on my mom's face as she was (as always) waiting for me and then getting knocked down by a large German Sheppard who went after the fake fur around the hood of my snowsuit.  Without the hood, he would have taken a chunk out of my face as I can still remember the impact to this day (and I am 60).  Please know he didn't attack me further and the family came flying out of the house (which is a good thing as I know my mom would have choked him to death with her bare hands) and in their defense I never saw the dog loose again.

Fast forward to a few years ago.  I'm in PetSmart and there was an incredibly aggressive Yorkie who was upsetting everyone standing in line as he/she would not stop barking and lunging from his perch in the shopping cart.  I had had enough and I turned around and said "if you don't stop barking I am going to grab you and give you a big kiss on the lips".  For a couple of seconds there was silence as the Yorkie was weighing his options but the part that bugged me the most is that the family immediately went after me (phffffttt) while everyone else standing in line started laughing.

I know there are aggressive breeds of all sizes but there are also very inattentive and/or spoiled dog owners of all sizes.  Training is key but who knows what you are encountering in an unfamiliar situation.

I have had furballs for most of my life and my heart breaks for these animals that are not trained or socialized properly.  Heart

I agree with your post. I am floored by all the irresponsible dog owners out there. I can't tell you how many unleashed dogs I come across while jogging at the park. I just don't get the mentality of those who think it's perfectly acceptable to walk around with a loose dog. You are putting other people, other dogs, and your dog in danger. With so many people carrying weapons these days, you are asking for your dog to get shot if it lunges at someone or their dog.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

• Pit Bull Terriers
  • Staffordshire Terriers
  • Rottweilers
  • German Shepherds
  • Presa Canarios
  • Chows Chows
  • Doberman Pinschers
  • Akitas
  • Wolf-hybrids
  • Mastiffs
  • Cane Corsos
  • Great Danes
  • Alaskan Malamutes
  • Siberian Huskies

Back in the article I citied, I think most of these dogs are what's also called the "bully breeds."  Now that is NOT to say that individual dogs - treated properly and properly trained - can be good pets.  However, unfortunately if they DON'T get proper care and/or if the owner WANTS them to be vicious (and the article also said many bad owners flock to these breeds) they are much more dangerous than say chihuahuas who may also not receive proper care and training.

I am not sure why this is such a controversial point to make.

It seems simple to me.  The chihuahua can bite* your ankle while any dog on the blacklist is capable of tearing you apart. That is not to say it will, but is irrefutable it can. 

I have had German Shepherd Dogs in my life all my life.  I won't say I've "owned one" because it's not about owning anymore than children are owned.  If raised and trained correctly, either child or dog will enrich your life.  If not, you can have a living nightmare on your hands.  I love the breed, but being fully aware of the strength within, I also respect it.  

*Edited because "pin" spelled backwards was censored.  Woman LOL

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.