Respected Contributor

Re: Neighbor's German Shepard bit the mailman

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

I grew up with German Shepards and know what loving dogs they are. They are also well behaved and historically were used to watch the owners children. They like any dog can be territorial. That said it is sad this one is not being given limits. Although we are only getting a one sided pov and I can't help wonder if this had been a small dog or another breed that dosen't get a bad rap. Would we be seeing the dogs name in the title.

Thank you for the words "limits".

Your welcome!

JMO, like children, dogs need guidance and limits. They will push the envelope if nobody stops them. Its out of love and respect for the animal that it should be done. My one german shepard when I was a kid was very smart. We could tap on the window in the kitchen and she would jump the fence and come around to the front door. But she never went off the property and never attacked anyone. While our other Shepard had a mind of her own so she was never going to be like that. Both sweet girls but totally different.

Esteemed Contributor

I grew up with German Shepards and know what loving dogs they are. They are also well behaved and historically were used to watch the owners children. They like any dog can be territorial. That said it is sad this one is not being given limits. Although we are only getting a one sided pov and I can't help wonder if this had been a small dog or another breed that dosen't get a bad rap. Would we be seeing the dogs name in the title.

If it had been a Pitt Bull it would have been in all caps with exclamation marks.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

I love animals as much as anyone, but this defending the "breed" at the expense of the person is ridiculous.

My granddaughter was at college and heard a girl screaming.  She looked out and saw that she was being attacked by a pit bull.  My granddaughter - and others ran out to help.  Several people - including my granddaughter were bitten by this dog.

The owner insisted the breed was "gentle" and implied that these people "provoked" the dog.  The initial victim was just walking down the street - and did nothing to the dog.  She was hospitalized over this and my granddaughter's leg is badly scarred.

The dog was euthanized. 

I'm as sorry as anyone when animals are mistreated, but that is not the fault of innocent people who are attacked for no reason - as apparently occurred with the mailman.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

If it had been a Pitt Bull it would have been in all caps with exclamation marks.

Sadly I agree. My grandfather raised them as he also was a farmer and they worked well with his sheep. But they were also family dogs and were loved. Again it is the person with the dog who should draw the attention not the poor animal.

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I love animals as much as anyone, but this defending the "breed" at the expense of the person is ridiculous.

My granddaughter was at college and heard a girl screaming.  She looked out and saw that she was being attacked by a pit bull.  My granddaughter - and others ran out to help.  Several people - including my granddaughter were bitten by this dog.

The owner insisted the breed was "gentle" and implied that these people "provoked" the dog.  The initial victim was just walking down the street - and did nothing to the dog.  She was hospitalized over this and my granddaughter's leg is badly scarred.

The dog was euthanized. 

I'm as sorry as anyone when animals are mistreated, but that is not the fault of innocent people who are attacked for no reason - as apparently occurred with the mailman.

Whats ridiculous is this sentence. We were not there so have no idea what happened.

And I will defend the breeds when others get a pass because oh they are so cute or get the pass cause they are a popular breed. While Pitts and Shepards are just as good with the right person and not the usual  angry ignorant mob trying to get rid of them.

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

The dog was euthanized. 

Whats ridiculous is this sentence. We were not there so have no idea what happened.

And I will defend the breeds when others get a pass because oh they are so cute or get the pass cause they are a popular breed. While Pitts and Shepards are just as good with the right person and not the usual  angry ignorant mob trying to get rid of them.

You have made my point - we don't know what happened.  What - the mailman probably "did something to deserve it?"  The breed being so gentle and all.

Well apparently we know that the dog was running free without a leash and it attacked the mail man - who was not even in the dog's yard.

I guess I am part of the "angry ignorant mob" that insists that these "gentle" dogs be kept under the owner's control at all times.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

The dog was euthanized. 

You have made my point - we don't know what happened.  What - the mailman probably "did something to deserve it?"  The breed being so gentle and all.

Well apparently we know that the dog was running free without a leash and it attacked the mail man - who was not even in the dog's yard.

I guess I am part of the "angry ignorant mob" that insists that these "gentle" dogs be kept under the owner's control at all times.

Its like you did not read my first reply to this thread, read the second took issue with it and went off from there. I made my point not yours. As for the angry mob reference I was talking in general. If you want to be associated with that feel free.

Let me add you by your qoute marks are obviously trying to imply these dogs are not gentle. Which is a fail as they are if like any dog they do not feel threatened. I guess you over react around certain dogs since you obviously hate those dogs that you prejudge.  And they can sense it which puts them on the defense not knowing how you will react.

Esteemed Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

The dog was euthanized. 

No one is saying that the mailman deserved to be bit.

Everyone agrees that all dogs should be kept under the owners control at all times.

The point being made is that all dogs can and will bite under the right circumstances.  Singling out specific breeds and not individual dogs is what causes contention.  Much like grouping people of various ethnic backgrounds together.  Just as people should be viewed as individuals so should dogs.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

The dog was euthanized. 

No one is saying that the mailman deserved to be bit.

Everyone agrees that all dogs should be kept under the owners control at all times.

The point being made is that all dogs can and will bite under the right circumstances.  Singling out specific breeds and not individual dogs is what causes contention.  Much like grouping people of various ethnic backgrounds together.  Just as people should be viewed as individuals so should dogs.

Well said @CrazyDaisy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I feel badly for any dog whose owner is irresponsible like this and it may cost the dog its' life because of their irresponsibility. I hope the mailman is okay and that dog had its' rabies shot up to date.

With that said, I am an animal lover but am very wary of German Shepherds and dobermans in general. I've had too many close encounters with both to know to be extra cautious and alert around them. A GS bit my dog in our own yard and a Doberman constantly stalked me on my own acreage numerous times. I am less leery about coyotes, mountain lions and bears than I was the Doberman (who bit a man in the back in his own barn and attacked an alpaca to the point a vet had to do surgery-not sure how that dog stayed alive after all that honestly...).  So no, it isn't just in their own territory that they will attack people if not leashed. These are just a few examples of why I am leery and of my experiences with them. I dont like to generalize usually but my own (and others) experience with these two breeds makes me do so.