Honored Contributor

Re: Neighbor and Dog pooping on lawns...Opinions please.

@missy1 wrote:

I thought towhomes/condos/apartments were community grass areas? So there are no fenced backyards with each townhome?

It's bad, but I would rather just clean it up then to deal with more drama, it could cause.

@missy1  It depends on the property. We OWN our property and, being an end unit, the property line includes part of a side yard. That butts up to a 1 foot wide strip of "community" property and then the next townhouse's property line begins. There is a privacy wall between each unit but if you want a fence,  YOU have to build it and pay for it. We back to woods and an 8 foot high fence kinda ruins the backyard. That said, there wouldn't be a problem IF the dog owner was responsible for picking up HIS dogs' poop.

There are also common grounds in the community with signs next to BIG green trash cans that hold lots of little green baggies for dog owners to pick up the poop. Our county has a strict leash law. Still, people think they are above the law so they CHOOSE to ignore them. It's great walking with your child to the swings and stepping in multiple piles of dog poop, let me tell ya. OR, your kids are playing in THEIR back yard and step in dog poop (and you don't own a dog). Nice.

Honored Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

Pooping aside, isn't there a leash law in your town?

You have 3 choices

1. Confront the neighbor and tell them you know their dog is defecating in your area.

2. Demand the HOA enforce their laws regardless of whether or not they like the dog and its owners.

3. Contact animal control about the dog roaming freely.

I would not stoop to the level of collecting and returning the poop.

@muttmom, you took the question right out of my mouth? That's how I would go after them -- breaching the leash law.

I also absolutely agree with your last sentence. It's not only juvenile but also inflammatory (not the poop, but the action). :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Well, if you REALLY want evidence, get the DNA Woman Wink

@Noel7- we have a DNA testing program at our condominium; you need a buccal swab to compare it to...I doubt this family will cooperate or pay for the initial testing. 

@Stray

I was kidding and included the winky face emoji.

A couple of days ago, a burglary made the news.  A home had been broken into and many things were taken.  The family discovered the thief had left his DNA behind in the toilet.  Police now know who they are looking for.

Similar stories, for sure.

@Noel7

I read about that. I guess the burglar thought he was adding insult to injury by not flushing......joke's on him!

I'm glad you commented @KingstonsMom

I was beginning to wonder if anyone else knew of the story, lol. I think you nailed his reasoning, eeewwwww.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@SahmIam, if you have a homeowners' association, contact the president, who would be responsible for addressing the problem with your neighbor.  I would be hesitant to get police involved since repercussions could be less desirable than what you are currently dealing with.

You might want to see if others are having a similar problem.  If so, maybe as a group you could find a solution.  It does not sound like the grandparents are able to walk the dog, and even older dogs need exercise.  This just might be something that you have to live with as you cannot control the behaviors of others.

@SXMGirl    @SahmIam

ITA ....   I've only read the first page of this thread, but the HOA  should be made aware of this problem STAT and the fact that other homeowners are cleaning up after someone else's dog.   They need to put a stop to this .... it's their job to prevent this from escalating.

Super Contributor

@SahmIam Sorry to hear what you are dealing with, it's got to be frustrating.

My Dad does a vegetable garden every year and last year (new neighbors) he had a problem with their three cats using the soft, freshly planted dirt as a litter box. My parents have cats of their own, but they keep them indoors....they love animals though, and actually love these offending cats as well. But when my Dad had enough last year he went out and bought a motion sensor sprinkler and turned it facing his vegetable garden patch--let me tell you it worked like a charm! No more seedlings being dug up, no more stepping in a pile of mess when weeding.

The best part is the cats still visit my parents, but now they don't go near the back yard. Smiley Happy

If your yard area is small that might just be an option for you (although it won't help your other neighbors or the other areas that "Bob" is frequenting). I don't think the sprinkler sensors are very expensive, because my Dad is usually pretty cheap lol....

best of luck to you, and hang in there

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Esteemed Contributor

@catchersmom. great idea!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Contributor

After all these 'replies' I totally agree with this, plus...please consider some form of camera recording.

I was on my HOA for over 12 years and this would not have been an 'issue' for us, and I am sorry to hear that yours seems to be..ineffective.. in helping you in this terrible situation. Also, the one sweet poster who took the time to post to you of all the many, many ways to 'naturally deter' the...poopping...surely, at least One of Those 'could' work for you? Since you have 'chatted' with your neighbors and even looked out for the 'Mother' at times, maybe, a sincere tactful-face-to-face-conversation would be the lst option?

My elderly parents had a bad situation years ago. My father is beyond just a traditional 'gardener'; his yard is impeccable, and he had a large organic vegetable garden that took A Lot of...work. Well, he KNEW that one of the neighbors dogs, a German Shep, was 'pooping' IN his garden. He lst tried speaking to the neighbors, did not work, so he took the time and $$ to install (with the help of my husband) a camera system. Problem solved after he showed the neighbors, for the 'leash law' was NOT being enforced, therefore, either said neighbor took care of the problem, or....animal control would.

I realize that this is very upsetting/frustrating and rightfully so!!, but sometimes there IS an answer to the problem, just not the 'one' we want or care to implement to solve the situation.

(side note)---When we had our Beloved Tobi (a large, puppy-faced, pure beagle), over the course of 7 years, he got out of the house accidently 4x--each time when we were doing renovations/workers in our home---he headed Straight for the Golf Course and POOPED EVERY 19 1/2 Seconds till we caught him!! Yikes!! Woman Embarassed(Never knew just how Much Poop a doggie could have!!) Lucky for us, the golfers laughed and always tried to help catch him AND helped each time with picking up his....poop!! Since at least one golfer who would be on the course who knew me, would say "hey! this is going to be discussed at our next HOA meeting!"; but it was all in jest...lucky me!! 

Tobi was ALWAYS on a leash and walked at least once a day and he NEVER EVER 'pooped' on anyone's property.  Before each walk, he was told, "Tobi, time for a walk, go POOP!!" and he would poop/pee in 10 seconds flat in the backyard BEFORE being walked around the neighborhood; we started this when he was a mere 'baby'. But him on the golf course? Now that would of made one funny video!!!

miss Tobi, still. Forever.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

FENCE

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  Please see post #51 of this thread; it addresses the HOA and what we can and can not do (notice, I said WE- I hold a position on the board).

Beyond that, I'm going to look into the chemicals some suggested that may help to keep ANY dog off my property. 

Respected Contributor

I'd Google "motion sensor sprinkler."