Trusted Contributor

Re: Neighbor and Dog pooping on lawns...Opinions please.

@SahmIam wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

I have a condo and used to have a neighbor like that,  She'd let her dog out, on its own, to do its business, oftentimes in the grass near my condo.  It was usually in the morning before work.  I'd take a picture and send it to the association office.  They'd fine the owner, as dogs were required to be on leash at all times.  If she didn't pay, they'd file a lien against her property.  Fortunately, this had the desired salutary effect.  Eventually the dog died and the neighbor?  I guess she moved.

@ValuSkr  Part of my community includes condos; they have a different HOA (I don't sit on their board and we don't collect due from them). Same thing happened to a woman in the condos: the owner didn't care. Condo's have different rules so the HOA attempted to go after the dog owner; nothing changed. So, the woman who had the dog pooping on her lawn (the ground floor condos have little lawns)  POSTED the pictures on Nextdoor with the persons name and address; in turn, she was sued by the dog owner. 

They haven't gone to court yet but that's how nasty this kind of a situation can get.

OMG - @SahmIam. If you find out the court decision on this you have to let us know. WOW!

Honored Contributor

@pommom wrote:

@SahmIam

This is totally unacceptable and the responsibility of the dog's owner.  I have a dog and will not leave my home without poop bags.  Heck, even if I run out (which has never happened), I would use a sandwich bag or an empty bread wrapper.

I would talk to your neighbors and explain that their dog's excrement is offensive.  You sound like a very nice person and could get the message across diplomatically, but firmly.  Good luck.

@pommom

Me too POMMOM....always picked up after the dogs......doggie bags or cheap plastic trash bags..........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam, this is so irritating. Why have rules and regulations, and then make innocent homeowner have to jump thru all kinds of hoops to get anything done?

Who has time to take picutres and document everything for a month?

Like here, we have these things called covenents in some of the subdivisions. Although everyone has a copy of the covenent, when someone went totally against it, several other homeowners in the neighborhood had to hire a lawyer and take the guilty person to court over it. They won, but had to be out lawyers fees.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Well, if you REALLY want evidence, get the DNA Woman Wink

@Noel7- we have a DNA testing program at our condominium; you need a buccal swab to compare it to...I doubt this family will cooperate or pay for the initial testing. 

Honored Contributor

A person could go so far and be a sick, overly-nice, sticky sweet neighbor and give the gift of a box of...wait for it...a box of poop bags, all wrapped in pretty paper with a bow on it, delivered right to the offending neighbor's door. Don't forget the "Thank You" card.Smiley Wink Would I do this? Absolutely, if it were the last straw I would. I am not a shy person. Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam, if I could reach through my screen and give you a comforting hug I would.  What is the HOA allowed to do to enforce its rules?

The only other thing that would prove 100% which dog would be DNA testing of the poop but that would require all dog owners to submit DNA samples then the collection of poop for testing.  Some places are pretty expensive while others are quite reasonable but if your HOA wouldn't even be able to force collection of DNA samples...

Perhaps something like the Critter Gitter would work.  smarthome.com/amtek-critter-gitter.html

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I had to laugh at the title of this thread..."Neighbor ....pooping on lawns"...lol!Smiley LOL

I had to say it.

I mean no disrespect to the OP.

@SilleeMee

You beat me to it. "Neighbor and... " LOL!

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Well, if you REALLY want evidence, get the DNA Woman Wink

@Noel7- we have a DNA testing program at our condominium; you need a buccal swab to compare it to...I doubt this family will cooperate or pay for the initial testing. 

@Stray

I was kidding and included the winky face emoji.

A couple of days ago, a burglary made the news.  A home had been broken into and many things were taken.  The family discovered the thief had left his DNA behind in the toilet.  Police now know who they are looking for.

Similar stories, for sure.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bags are supplied FOR FREE right next to receptacles to put them in, and STILL people don't monitor the habits of their pets!

I have to have eyes like a hawk when I take my grandchildren for walks in their strollers.

HORRIBLE PEOPLE, and the poor doggies get blamed!

Respected Contributor

Pooping aside, isn't there a leash law in your town?

You have 3 choices

1. Confront the neighbor and tell them you know their dog is defecating in your area.

2. Demand the HOA enforce their laws regardless of whether or not they like the dog and its owners.

3. Contact animal control about the dog roaming freely.

I would not stoop to the level of collecting and returning the poop.