Respected Contributor

Re: Neighbor and Dog pooping on lawns...Opinions please.

My problem is cats in the neighborhood being left out to roam some.  Have seen 4 different ones that come around nearly every day.  They belong to someone and seem healthy and well taken care of and are good looking cats.   Have no idea who owns them.  The issue is one (or more. who knows) sprays my porch furniture covers and uses my flower beds as their toilet.  Do I like it - No.  What can I do?  Nothing.  I don't want to be responsible to having them picked up by animal control and confined to shelters - they are just being cats.

As for your neighbors dog poop, if you are fairly certain it is this dog, (you said he goes into the woods)  approach your neighbor and as another poster suggested request their teens clean up after the dogs.  Seems like a good approach.  The innocent dog (he is just doing what comes natural) still gets to sniff around the woods and be a dog and you don't have to clean up dog doo.

Again the animal control issue - you said this is an elderly dog.  I sure wouldn't want to be responsible for having him netted and carted away by Anlimal Control.  I would certainly discuss this with my neighbors about the teens picking up.  Since I am an animal lover as you can obviously tell, if the problem persists, I would just pick up the poop and dispose of it - perhaps in the back of their yard.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I know this isn't a nice thing to do but I have actually picked up the poop and brought it over to the dog's owner's house...on their front porch where they can't miss it. I did this with one of my past neighbors and it solved the problem.

Yupp, sometimes it comes to that.

Many years of living in one house for 12 years, and for 2 years I had some really bad neighbors. It came to the point that I put a whole grocery bag of their dogs' poop on their porch. That was really about the only thing that curbed the issue. I guess I made them crazy because they moved shortly thereafter. Never had problems again.

Honored Contributor

I also had to lol at the tread title, imagining the scene.

And then the "poop cam" suggestions just made me lol some more.

Sorry, I know it's just rude for people to allow this.  And I feel sorry for the dogs who are owned by the rude people.

I have a neighbor who I actually like quite a lot and she used to have a sweet old dog she just let roam around the neighborhood (her dog was a "free spirit" doncha know). and I saw the dog poop in my yard numerous times.  I just never mentioned it and picked up after her.  I felt badly when the dog died (of old age).

But I don't think it's right for anyone to allow their dog to run loose like that.  Not at all.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KathyM23 wrote:

My problem is cats in the neighborhood being left out to roam some.  Have seen 4 different ones that come around nearly every day.  They belong to someone and seem healthy and well taken care of and are good looking cats.   Have no idea who owns them.  The issue is one (or more. who knows) sprays my porch furniture covers and uses my flower beds as their toilet.  Do I like it - No.  What can I do?  Nothing.  I don't want to be responsible to having them picked up by animal control and confined to shelters - they are just being cats.

As for your neighbors dog poop, if you are fairly certain it is this dog, (you said he goes into the woods)  approach your neighbor and as another poster suggested request their teens clean up after the dogs.  Seems like a good approach.  The innocent dog (he is just doing what comes natural) still gets to sniff around the woods and be a dog and you don't have to clean up dog doo.

Again the animal control issue - you said this is an elderly dog.  I sure wouldn't want to be responsible for having him netted and carted away by Anlimal Control.  I would certainly discuss this with my neighbors about the teens picking up.  Since I am an animal lover as you can obviously tell, if the problem persists, I would just pick up the poop and dispose of it - perhaps in the back of their yard.

My husband and I are Seniors.  I'd wave good-bye to the Animal Control officer after he takes away my neighbor's dog before I spend part of my every day picking up its ******.......it's not going to be part of my daily routine...

Honored Contributor

@Marp  No worries, lol. I laughed out load reading your post! : )

@momtochloe  You know, that's a good idea. I'll stop buy Lowes and see what I can find. : )

@sidsmom I have a short walkway before you hit my steps. Right next to the walkway is a small patch of grass and then my front-to-side of house garden. The dog often poops on that little patch of yard (scent, don't you know) and so his butt overhangs my walk way....therefore, poop on my walkway in front of my steps as well as on the grass. Lovely.

The sad reality is that there are MANY people who do this. Why? Because they're jerks (and that's using a word that won't be censored here). I don't like people like this because you KNOW they're taking advantage of others in different ways all the time; it's their mind set. "Not my problem...only wrong if caught....rules don't apply to me".

Bleh.  I can not WAIT to move from here. Then again, I'd probably move next door to a new set of jerks so....yeah.

Honored Contributor

You have 3 choices:  pick up the poop.  Don't pick up the poop.  Get a camera to record the dog perp.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam

Three things in life you can be sure of:

Death

Taxes

Jerks wherever you go

Honored Contributor

If the HOA won't do anything, why don't you suggest they pickup the tab for poop removal.  There are companies that do that.  Or add it to the ground crews duties.  

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  I was thinking the exact same thing....if they "catch you in the act", tell them that you are returning what was left at your house by their dog.

I love dogs, but don't love lazy inconsiderant neighbors.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

The teens are at school during the day when Grandma lets him out, so..not happening. "Bob" goes in the woods, he poops in the backyards of other houses (they own dogs so they just scoop it up when cleaning after their own dogs...which are SMALL dogs) and he goes in the common area in the front of the houses. Need to put your gabage cans out? Watch out for the piles of "Bobs" poop!! ALL the while, the owners are IN their house. Again, I've only caught him in the act once....and placed the poop on their steps. OBVIOUSLY it didn't stop anything because that was three years ago.