Honored Contributor

Re: Neighbor and Dog pooping on lawns...Opinions please.

@SahmIam wrote:

@Tinkrbl44  Please see post #51 of this thread; it addresses the HOA and what we can and can not do (notice, I said WE- I hold a position on the board).

Beyond that, I'm going to look into the chemicals some suggested that may help to keep ANY dog off my property. 

Please be careful @SahmIam

A lot of chemicals can hurt animals, I just read that ammonia is like a punch in the face to dogs, source gardeningknowhow.com

Honored Contributor

@jackiejenny wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I know this isn't a nice thing to do but I have actually picked up the poop and brought it over to the dog's owner's house...on their front porch where they can't miss it. I did this with one of my past neighbors and it solved the problem.

After trying everything under the sun, I guess I am going to have to resort to this. The next door neighbor's cat poops on either on the top step of my pool steps or somewhere on the brick deck surrounding it. I have also been surprised and found it many times off the edge of the brick in the landscaping while I am attempting to trim. 

I have tried ammonia and vinegar as deterrants, but it did nothing. Are there any cat deterrants?  I even tried moth balls once, but I couldn't stand the smell!  

@jackiejenny

You can try orange and lemon peels (cats dislike citrus scents), the herb rue (which can also be planted live), cayenne pepper, coffee grounds, pipe tobacco and various oils, including lavender, lemon grass, citronella, peppermint, eucalyptus and mustard.

There are also commercial sprays you can purchase at Petsmart ...........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

Yes I totally agree with person who called them bullies. It only takes one neighbor to spoil it for everyone. When I lived in GA in a lovely community then they moved next door lucky me. I have had dogs and am a responsible pet owner so their dog lifting it's leg on every bush as I sit on my screen porch let alone the other. I went over and had them come and pick it up but that inconvenienced  me everyday. I gave up and started picking it up with shovel and throwing it in their yard. Did me good didn't bother them. 

Everyone compkained but to the day I moved last year it still happened. Very annoying and good luck to the new owners. Maybe it won't bother them.

Respected Contributor

@nana59

It would hurt my heart too much to see an animal taken away by Animal Control.  I would be hurting myself with this process.  I am also a Senior with back and osteo issues but I can still pick up poop if necessary and deposit it in the offending neighbor's yard if the teenagers in the family didn't agree to pick it up.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

I have a condo and used to have a neighbor like that,  She'd let her dog out, on its own, to do its business, oftentimes in the grass near my condo.  It was usually in the morning before work.  I'd take a picture and send it to the association office.  They'd fine the owner, as dogs were required to be on leash at all times.  If she didn't pay, they'd file a lien against her property.  Fortunately, this had the desired salutary effect.  Eventually the dog died and the neighbor?  I guess she moved.

@ValuSkr  Part of my community includes condos; they have a different HOA (I don't sit on their board and we don't collect due from them). Same thing happened to a woman in the condos: the owner didn't care. Condo's have different rules so the HOA attempted to go after the dog owner; nothing changed. So, the woman who had the dog pooping on her lawn (the ground floor condos have little lawns)  POSTED the pictures on Nextdoor with the persons name and address; in turn, she was sued by the dog owner. 

They haven't gone to court yet but that's how nasty this kind of a situation can get.

@SahmIam

It looks like the neighbor that posted photos on Nextdoor is in trouble according to the Nextdoor guidelines.......

NEXTDOOR GUIDELINES

We encourage members to have conversations about the issues that matter to them in a way that is constructive, civil, and builds community.

Don’t attack, berate, bully, belittle, insult, harass, threaten, troll, or swear at others or their views even if you really, really disagree with them. This includes communication within a group or via private message.

When conversations become heated, remember our overarching principle: "Everyone here is your neighbor. Please treat each other with respect."

Public Shaming 

Nextdoor is not a platform for publicly shaming your neighbors. If you see a neighbor doing something that concerns you, ask yourself, "Do I know who this person is, and could I contact them privately to resolve the issue?" If the answer is yes, then you should contact them directly and not post about it on Nextdoor.

Personal disputes and grievances

Nextdoor is not a place for publicly resolving personal disputes and grievances. Use private messages to resolve personal disputes, or better yet, get together in person to resolve the matter amicably. 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 Agree 100%. I don't want it to hurt the bunnies, deer or other woodland creatures that, IMHO, DO have the right to be on my land. I'm looking for something that scent-wise, is what keeps the dogs off (like mint and mice).

@Spurt It'll be interesting to see how this plays out especially as it was the police, Animal Control AND the HOA and their lawyer who suggested it. From what I know (their board shared it with my board plus she has been VERY vocal about it on NextDoor), she did everything she could within the county guidelines as did the HOA and the HOA attorney. I mean, what DO you do about people who have ZERO shame for the behavior EVEN when called out on it?! ANd yes, she DID confront the woman AS her dog was pooping in her yard with a neighbor there as a witness. Unbelievable.

Last, have to say, I've YET to see Nextdoor do anything to stop bully behavior, troll behavior, insults, etc. The shaming has ALL come from other members of the NextDoor forum against those who are....nasty.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's irritating, for sure.  I had a neighbor who finally left, who let his dogs free run to poop, which was on my nearby lawn.  He would then send his preschooler little girl to collect the dung in her party dress.  There is a leash law in my town.

Once I saw him doing this and confronted him. It was around midnight.  He approached me, swinging his lantern, and said loudly, "What did you say to me?  What did you say to me?" I said loudly that "THERE IS A LEASH LAW IN THIS TOWN" and quietly that I was about to call the police.  He stopped doing it, but I thought he was going to bop me with the lantern.  I really dislike bullies and would wish they would leave my vicinity.

I suspect, though, that bullies live everywhere. The evidence is pretty rife these days.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

Then try the old fashioned way and just tell the Alpha you've seen the dog going on your lawn and could the teens pick up after him.

You have nothing to lose.

I agree with this.

I think part of the problem is that it has gone on for awhile.  They're into their routine of opening the door and letting the dog out, and they have no reason to stop doing that.  Please don't misunderstand - I am NOT defending them at all.  But I think the first step would be to bring it to their attention in a straightforward (yet cordial) way.  

And I wondered also why the teens aren't cleaning up after this dog, or - better yet - taking it for walks.  It seems to me that it would be a good way to teach them some responsibility, in addition to being better for the dog and more considerate of neighbors.  A large part of dog ownership is being responsible, and teens need to be a part of that.  There certainly seem to be enough able-bodied adults in this family to eliminate the need to let the dog run free rather than be walked properly.

What about leash laws?  Better to ****** this in the bud before this dog bites someone or there's some other kind of problem.  It could end up ultimately being a kindness to them too.

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@MickD wrote:

You have 3 choices:  pick up the poop.  Don't pick up the poop.  Get a camera to record the dog perp.

Why thanks, MickD, for pointing out the obivous. What do you think I'm doing? Thanks for playing, though.

Exactly.  Was that meant to be helpful??  :-/

And there actually are more than just three choices.

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

@nana59

It would hurt my heart too much to see an animal taken away by Animal Control.  I would be hurting myself with this process.  I am also a Senior with back and osteo issues but I can still pick up poop if necessary and deposit it in the offending neighbor's yard if the teenagers in the family didn't agree to pick it up.

Sorry-I am not spending one single minute of my time picking up someone else's dog ******......just put Animal Control on my phone's speed dial.........can't wait to catch the sucker "in the act."