Honored Contributor

Re: Neighbor and Dog pooping on lawns...Opinions please.

Just a little poop note: We live in a very dog-friendly little city that has baggy receptacle stations all along its "greenbelt." But even in the rest of the city, I rarely see anyone walking a dog or dogs with baggies to pick up the poop. It just isn't done here.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Has someone suggested a webcam? I know it doesn't have the appeal of kittens, but people do use them for home surveillance.

From the posts that I did read here, it seemed that fines were most effective at getting the animal owners to behave better in similar situations. Amounts of $300 and $400 seemed to do the trick. If the HOA can't impose a fine and can't address this behavior effectively, maybe the city government can.

Just FYI, our municipality prohibits pets from running loose. That means dogs, cats, ferrets, tame skunks, you name it, they must be leashed or fenced or kept inside. One of the township supervisors let his cats run free, though, so I don't know whether they'd have enforced it.

I've known people who let their cats roam and continue to do so when one of them disappears or is hit by a car and killed. I've never understood that.

Honored Contributor

This is interesting - I live in a neighborhood of custom homes.  We do not have HOA's or covenants, etc. and we do not have any of these problems.  I keep thinking I should move and downsize but I think I will just stay put and be thankful for my neighbors.

Trusted Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@MickD wrote:

You have 3 choices:  pick up the poop.  Don't pick up the poop.  Get a camera to record the dog perp.

Why thanks, MickD, for pointing out the obivous. What do you think I'm doing? Thanks for playing, though.

I think there is another choice. I would go over and talk to them directly. I would let them know we have a problem and see if they are willing to help solve the problem. If they are decent people, and it sounds like they otherwise are, they should not be offended if you speak respectfully to them. I would certainly approach them in the most friendly way. I would not sneak around and throw poop in their yard or on their steps, like some suggested. Direct and friendly. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

At least you know who's dog it is. I have several cats pooping in my front yard and only one of my neighbors owns a cat.

@SilleeMee  Cats cover their poo, so if you are seeing it on the surface of the ground, it would be a dog, in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I know this isn't a nice thing to do but I have actually picked up the poop and brought it over to the dog's owner's house...on their front porch where they can't miss it. I did this with one of my past neighbors and it solved the problem.

Yupp, sometimes it comes to that.

Many years of living in one house for 12 years, and for 2 years I had some really bad neighbors. It came to the point that I put a whole grocery bag of their dogs' poop on their porch. That was really about the only thing that curbed the issue. I guess I made them crazy because they moved shortly thereafter. Never had problems again.

@sandraskates  Great, lol!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam,     Contact the Association and let them know what is happening.  Most complexes do not allow animals to run free and some towns.  They need to be on a leash.  There is no way I would clean up some dog's poop!  I am sure that it is the dog that runs free that is pooping everywhere.  That's why I own a cat and she uses her litter box.   

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@KathyM23 wrote:

My problem is cats in the neighborhood being left out to roam some.  Have seen 4 different ones that come around nearly every day.  They belong to someone and seem healthy and well taken care of and are good looking cats.   Have no idea who owns them.  The issue is one (or more. who knows) sprays my porch furniture covers and uses my flower beds as their toilet.  Do I like it - No.  What can I do?  Nothing.  I don't want to be responsible to having them picked up by animal control and confined to shelters - they are just being cats.

As for your neighbors dog poop, if you are fairly certain it is this dog, (you said he goes into the woods)  approach your neighbor and as another poster suggested request their teens clean up after the dogs.  Seems like a good approach.  The innocent dog (he is just doing what comes natural) still gets to sniff around the woods and be a dog and you don't have to clean up dog doo.

Again the animal control issue - you said this is an elderly dog.  I sure wouldn't want to be responsible for having him netted and carted away by Anlimal Control.  I would certainly discuss this with my neighbors about the teens picking up.  Since I am an animal lover as you can obviously tell, if the problem persists, I would just pick up the poop and dispose of it - perhaps in the back of their yard.

The teens are at school during the day when Grandma lets him out, so..not happening. "Bob" goes in the woods, he poops in the backyards of other houses (they own dogs so they just scoop it up when cleaning after their own dogs...which are SMALL dogs) and he goes in the common area in the front of the houses. Need to put your gabage cans out? Watch out for the piles of "Bobs" poop!! ALL the while, the owners are IN their house. Again, I've only caught him in the act once....and placed the poop on their steps. OBVIOUSLY it didn't stop anything because that was three years ago.

@SahmIam  Mayber if they got enough poop returned, they would do something about it.

Honored Contributor

@jackiejenny wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I know this isn't a nice thing to do but I have actually picked up the poop and brought it over to the dog's owner's house...on their front porch where they can't miss it. I did this with one of my past neighbors and it solved the problem.

After trying everything under the sun, I guess I am going to have to resort to this. The next door neighbor's cat poops on either on the top step of my pool steps or somewhere on the brick deck surrounding it. I have also been surprised and found it many times off the edge of the brick in the landscaping while I am attempting to trim. 

I have tried ammonia and vinegar as deterrants, but it did nothing. Are there any cat deterrants?  I even tried moth balls once, but I couldn't stand the smell!  

@jackiejenny  I have never known an outside cat to do it's business anywhere but in the dirt and covering it.

Trusted Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@jackiejenny wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

After trying everything under the sun, I guess I am going to have to resort to this. The next door neighbor's cat poops on either on the top step of my pool steps or somewhere on the brick deck surrounding it. I have also been surprised and found it many times off the edge of the brick in the landscaping while I am attempting to trim. 

I have tried ammonia and vinegar as deterrants, but it did nothing. Are there any cat deterrants?  I even tried moth balls once, but I couldn't stand the smell!  

@jackiejenny  I have never known an outside cat to do it's business anywhere but in the dirt and covering it.

@mousiegirl~~~Admittedly weird, but it's a cat and does exactly as I described.