Super Contributor

Re: Neighbor and Dog pooping on lawns...Opinions please.

@jewel3 wrote:

I have only suggested to one woman that I could follow her home and defecate on her garden then pick it up since that seems to work for her. She has never been back. 

You're my kinda chick!  LOL  Gotta be careful with the motion activated sprinklers though in a townhome setting.  The have a 25-30 foot range which is why I cannot use one.  It would be hitting my neighbors on their own walkways and legitimate people on the sidewalk.  I wish I could though.  I have a bluetooth device but have to be watching when something happens then play dumb like "Oh my sprinkler timer went on...sorry...I have my sprinklers set so they don't reach the sidewalk my how did you get so wet?"  lol

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I know this isn't a nice thing to do but I have actually picked up the poop and brought it over to the dog's owner's house...on their front porch where they can't miss it. I did this with one of my past neighbors and it solved the problem.

Good. And if you don't want to put it on their porch then just put it in their yard.  This family sounds like it doesn't have time for the dog.  They shouldn't have a dog.  Everyone else has to put up with this because of them.

Trusted Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@SahmIam I know many years ago we had a problem with someone who would let their dog go wherever it wanted (on leash no less) and would walk away without cleaning up.  There was a product my mom found and sprinkled on the parkway and we never had that problem again.  I couldn't find the product when doing a search but I did find this:

Try spreading dog deterrents around the border of the yard. Commercial products are available, and they include offensive-smelling granules or sprays and motion-activated sprinklers. When the dog smells the unpleasant scent or gets sprayed by water, it no longer wants to visit the yard. Look in the kitchen for dog deterrents to try before heading to the store. Dogs find the smell of ammonia and vinegar repulsive, and pepper and citrus smells irritate and annoy dogs. Spread these smells throughout the yard to keep dogs away.

Natural repellants work.  I know it works for cats.  My next-door neighbor's cat started using our newly mulched front yard as her litter box.  Yuck.  I looked up on the net for cat repellants.  I think it may have been rosemary or basil mixed with water in a spray bottle.  That worked.   Good luck.  I know putting up with neighbors' bad and selfish behavior is the pits.

Trusted Contributor

@NYC Susan  It also attracts rodents.  Rodent problems are a whole other problem in itself.  

Esteemed Contributor

When I was a kid in the year dot, one of our neighbors had a large dog who treated the next door neighbor's lawn as his private toilet. The owner of said house/toilet continually complained to their neighbor, telling them not to let the dog run free to do his business on their lawn. Their request was met by deaf ears. Finally, exasperated, the toilet victims decided to teach the negligent neighbors a lesson. When the dog next pooped on their lawn, the victim-neighbor scooped it up and smeared it all over the windshield of the neighbor's car. I don't know that I would recommend such an approach but I can tell you that the dog stayed in his own yard from then on.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee

UGH...I'm not a fan of cats.

With that said, their urine is nasty.  You can't get rid of that smell. 

As for the OP, if I were you, I would call the Township you live in and find out what the laws are.  I get that your neighbors are pretty stretched out - taking care of a sick parent is hard enough - but two is probably a nightmare.

These people should not own a dog IMO.  And if they are letting it run around the neighborhood to do its business, that's just not right.  I owned two dogs in my lifetime.  And even when I was sick, I would walk my dog and pick up after them.  I always carried a plastic bag with me. 

And just think of all the ticks and fleas this dog must carry, especially if it darts off into the woods.  I wouldn't want that nasty beast on my lawn spreading its bug infested furballness all over my property, not to mention its big turds.

Call Township ASAP.  And good luck.  People with no common sense.  They have two teens?  What the heck are THEY doing??  Not parenting and not walking their dog and picking up after it! 

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

There is a reason I don't have a dog right now. Bottom line, I don't want to deal with the care, effort and expense that comes with them. So, I don't.

Our neighbor has a large dog. Our neighbor has 2 teens, his wife and his parents. His dad is very frail; home health care is there 4 days a week- he works from home one day a week. Besides Dad's issues (including dialysis and dementia among others) his mother also has physical issues though she is mobile enough to driver her SUV. This family owns 9 vehicles and takes up just as many spots in a townhouse community where parking is very tight; all within their right. They are nice people; we've chatted; I've watched out for his mother, etc.

The problem? Their dog. They don't walk this dog; they allow him to run into the woods in the back and out front. He's a very friendly dog, older and bit hard of hearing. Sweet, good natured large lab. But he poops. BIG poops. ANd no one cleans up after him. Why? You tell me.

During the day, Grandma lets him out and then he comes in (she does NOT have the strength to walk him or go after him, trust me). It might take 15 minutes of her calling him but he comes back in. Same with everyone else in the family; "Bob" might take awhile but he always DOES come home. The thing is, we can't PROVE it's his poop. We find the piles in our front yard, on our steps, in our back yard when we either come home from somewhere or go out of our house for something. I've SEEN him poop on other peoples' yard, however. Never in 3 years have I seen him on a leash OR picked up after. He is the only large dog in our cul-de-sac and the only dog I've EVER seen allowed off a leash. 

I've seen him too many times sniffing around our yard (we are the end unit, they are a middle unit) to think it isn't him. You just know, you know? But, I can't prove it so picking it up and dumping in on their front porch really isn't an option, unfortunately.

So, I'm picking up dog poop on a weekly basis (sometimes more) for a dog I don't own. Ticks me off. What, wise forum members, would YOU do in this situation?

Edited for proof reading errors.

@SahmIam  Return it to them.  If there is a leash law in your state, they are breaking it by letting their dog roam off leash, so if you can get a picture of this, you have some ammunition to show the authorities.

Honored Contributor

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

@SilleeMee

UGH...I'm not a fan of cats.

With that said, their urine is nasty.  You can't get rid of that smell. 

As for the OP, if I were you, I would call the Township you live in and find out what the laws are.  I get that your neighbors are pretty stretched out - taking care of a sick parent is hard enough - but two is probably a nightmare.

These people should not own a dog IMO.  And if they are letting it run around the neighborhood to do its business, that's just not right.  I owned two dogs in my lifetime.  And even when I was sick, I would walk my dog and pick up after them.  I always carried a plastic bag with me. 

And just think of all the ticks and fleas this dog must carry, especially if it darts off into the woods.  I wouldn't want that nasty beast on my lawn spreading its bug infested furballness all over my property, not to mention its big turds.

Call Township ASAP.  And good luck.  People with no common sense.  They have two teens?  What the heck are THEY doing??  Not parenting and not walking their dog and picking up after it! 

The cats have been spraying my front door, too.Smiley Tongue Smells really bad when the sun hits that part of my house!...pee-eeew @Qshopper1991 I have to go out there and hose down my front door regularly. It's so disgusting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In our town, if you have good reason to suspect that a dog owner is not cleaning up after their dog, animal control does a dna match between the dog and the poop.  A woman I know lives in a condo complex that does dna matches too.  We also have leash laws in our town.  So dog owners are cited for two offenses.  But we are not in the country, we are in a suburban area and it's a bit upscale.  There are things that residents just don't do.

Trusted Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@jackiejenny wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I know this isn't a nice thing to do but I have actually picked up the poop and brought it over to the dog's owner's house...on their front porch where they can't miss it. I did this with one of my past neighbors and it solved the problem.

After trying everything under the sun, I guess I am going to have to resort to this. The next door neighbor's cat poops on either on the top step of my pool steps or somewhere on the brick deck surrounding it. I have also been surprised and found it many times off the edge of the brick in the landscaping while I am attempting to trim. 

I have tried ammonia and vinegar as deterrants, but it did nothing. Are there any cat deterrants?  I even tried moth balls once, but I couldn't stand the smell!  

@jackiejenny

You can try orange and lemon peels (cats dislike citrus scents), the herb rue (which can also be planted live), cayenne pepper, coffee grounds, pipe tobacco and various oils, including lavender, lemon grass, citronella, peppermint, eucalyptus and mustard.

There are also commercial sprays you can purchase at Petsmart ...........

@Spurt~~~Thank you VERY much for all of the wonderful suggestions. I think I will start with the citrus scents first and go from there. Surely there will be one or two on this list that will work. 

Thanks again, Spurt, you are a jewel!