Honored Contributor

Re: Neighbor and Dog pooping on lawns...Opinions please.

I can understand a dog doing that, but your neighbor doing that is disgusting!

Honored Contributor

@MickD wrote:

You have 3 choices:  pick up the poop.  Don't pick up the poop.  Get a camera to record the dog perp.

Why thanks, MickD, for pointing out the obivous. What do you think I'm doing? Thanks for playing, though.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I live in a neighborhood where everyone has fenced-in back yards. One day while picking up my dog's poop in my back yard I noticed that the terds were rather small for my golden retriever. I just shrugged it off and thought it was just that one time. Well for the next several weeks I kept picking up small terds along with the regular size ones. Then one day while cleaning up a section behind my shed, next to the fence, I find a hole that my neighbor's little dog had dug and the dog was coming over to my yard and pooping.Smiley Frustrated Yup, I started chucking the terds over the fence and placed a big rock where the hole once was.Smiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

If the HOA won't do anything, why don't you suggest they pickup the tab for poop removal.  There are companies that do that.  Or add it to the ground crews duties.  

I'm ON the HOA board. You'd be surprised at what little power the HOA truly has when it comes to civil issues like this. It's an ongoing problem, sadly.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I know this isn't a nice thing to do but I have actually picked up the poop and brought it over to the dog's owner's house...on their front porch where they can't miss it. I did this with one of my past neighbors and it solved the problem.

After trying everything under the sun, I guess I am going to have to resort to this. The next door neighbor's cat poops on either on the top step of my pool steps or somewhere on the brick deck surrounding it. I have also been surprised and found it many times off the edge of the brick in the landscaping while I am attempting to trim. 

I have tried ammonia and vinegar as deterrants, but it did nothing. Are there any cat deterrants?  I even tried moth balls once, but I couldn't stand the smell!  

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@SahmIam

Three things in life you can be sure of:

Death

Taxes

Jerks wherever you go

@QueenDanceALot  My friend, you are SO right. : )

Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately @Sahmlam it does not sound like an easy solution is possible in your case with an unwilling, ineffective HOA that doesn't want to "rock the boat" by enforcing its own rules about either the dog or home upkeep.

As far as your 100% proof it is that dog this is a civil matter so only the "preponderance of evidence" is needed. You state there are no other large dogs and no other dogs that are out unleashed. IMO that makes it more likely than not that "Bob" is the perpetrator so his unwanted gifts should be returned to his owners.

If you have true high speed internet (2 mbps upload speed or better) a wifi motion sensing security cam like a Ring or Nest or Arlo would likely be your best bet to prove it is "Bob" if you are insistent on 100% proof. The motion detection would trigger a recording of "Bob" dumping on your lawn and you can present the video to the owners.

In the meantime you should be insisting that the balance of the HOA board do more than send letters that are apparently ignored. Substantial and progressive fines should be the first step in enforcing the rules.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I live in a neighborhood where everyone has fenced-in back yards. One day while picking up my dog's poop in my back yard I noticed that the terds were rather small for my golden retriever. I just shrugged it off and thought it was just that one time. Well for the next several weeks I kept picking up small terds along with the regular size ones. Then one day while cleaning up a section behind my shed, next to the fence, I find a hole that my neighbor's little dog had dug and the dog was coming over to my yard and pooping.Smiley Frustrated Yup, I started chucking the terds over the fence and placed a big rock where the hole once was.Smiley Tongue

Ooo-ooo, a new product idea for QVC - A turd shooter!  Power and velocity that you couldn't get with just your arm!

Fun for the whole family!

Trusted Contributor

You have to talk to your neighbors. If they dont respond, then tell them you are going to call animal control, I do not know what sort of relationship you have with them, so this may or may not work.

I had a neighbor...way down from us, that walked their dog, and like clock work, he would poop on our lawn. Until I watched, and turned the sprinklers on. It stopped after two times. Yes, I did it. I was tired of asking, and even placed one of those cute little "no poop" signs out there.

Honored Contributor

I have a condo and used to have a neighbor like that,  She'd let her dog out, on its own, to do its business, oftentimes in the grass near my condo.  It was usually in the morning before work.  I'd take a picture and send it to the association office.  They'd fine the owner, as dogs were required to be on leash at all times.  If she didn't pay, they'd file a lien against her property.  Fortunately, this had the desired salutary effect.  Eventually the dog died and the neighbor?  I guess she moved.