Honored Contributor

Neighbor and Dog pooping on lawns...Opinions please.

[ Edited ]

There is a reason I don't have a dog right now. Bottom line, I don't want to deal with the care, effort and expense that comes with them. So, I don't.

Our neighbor has a large dog. Our neighbor has 2 teens, his wife and his parents. His dad is very frail; home health care is there 4 days a week- he works from home one day a week. Besides Dad's issues (including dialysis and dementia among others) his mother also has physical issues though she is mobile enough to driver her SUV. This family owns 9 vehicles and takes up just as many spots in a townhouse community where parking is very tight; all within their right. They are nice people; we've chatted; I've watched out for his mother, etc.

The problem? Their dog. They don't walk this dog; they allow him to run into the woods in the back and out front. He's a very friendly dog, older and bit hard of hearing. Sweet, good natured large lab. But he poops. BIG poops. ANd no one cleans up after him. Why? You tell me.

During the day, Grandma lets him out and then he comes in (she does NOT have the strength to walk him or go after him, trust me). It might take 15 minutes of her calling him but he comes back in. Same with everyone else in the family; "Bob" might take awhile but he always DOES come home. The thing is, we can't PROVE it's his poop. We find the piles in our front yard, on our steps, in our back yard when we either come home from somewhere or go out of our house for something. I've SEEN him poop on other peoples' yard, however. Never in 3 years have I seen him on a leash OR picked up after. He is the only large dog in our cul-de-sac and the only dog I've EVER seen allowed off a leash. 

I've seen him too many times sniffing around our yard (we are the end unit, they are a middle unit) to think it isn't him. You just know, you know? But, I can't prove it so picking it up and dumping in on their front porch really isn't an option, unfortunately.

So, I'm picking up dog poop on a weekly basis (sometimes more) for a dog I don't own. Ticks me off. What, wise forum members, would YOU do in this situation?

Edited for proof reading errors.

Honored Contributor

Re: Neighbor and Dog pooping on lawns...Opinions please.

We have laws here regarding pet poop. It can become a legal issue if not taken care of. I would talk to the owners first before anything else.

Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried talking to Animal Control to at least let them know that the dog is constantly running around off leash?

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam  Unless you plan to confront them about the issue.....then you just keep picking it up.  You may want to get film footage of the dog pooping in your yard.  Otherwise  what proof do you have.  You probably need a stake out  to catch him in action.

Honored Contributor

if these people are like my neighbors, good luck in solving this problem. All was fine for 29 yrs and then 2 bad apples moved in and neighborhood went to a free for all. Rules don't apply to these dumbbells. They are bullies and could care less. I am so tired of this but little I can do. I have called police about the problems little they can do. laws are made for guilty to get over on law abiding citizens.

Respected Contributor

First let me say that I am a dog lover. But I feel like if you can't take care of your dog and their needs including walking them if they need it and definitely cleaning up after them then you should not have one. I would contact the home owners association if you have one and ask them if they can send out reminders about pets being on leashes and not allowed to roam on their own and cleaning up after them or get fined. That is just standard in communities with HOA. I am sorry your neighbors are not feeling like they need to do this for what ever reason but they really should not have a dog. It is not anyone elses' place to clean up after the dog.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had to laugh at the title of this thread..."Neighbor ....pooping on lawns"...lol!Smiley LOL

I had to say it.

I mean no disrespect to the OP.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam, if you have a homeowners' association, contact the president, who would be responsible for addressing the problem with your neighbor.  I would be hesitant to get police involved since repercussions could be less desirable than what you are currently dealing with.

You might want to see if others are having a similar problem.  If so, maybe as a group you could find a solution.  It does not sound like the grandparents are able to walk the dog, and even older dogs need exercise.  This just might be something that you have to live with as you cannot control the behaviors of others.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Funny you should post this.....we have the exact same problem.....although we can't prove it, the neighbor's dog is the ONLY dog unleased in our neighborhood.  We have had different issues with this obnoxious neighbor in the past....haven't spoken in a couple of years....this week my husband installed a gaudy orange snow fence on our property line.....right down to the street...other neighbors, although not happy about it, know why we did this....they understand why we had to make such a bold statement....my husband, who is 70, was tired of picking up ******........just not fair to have to clean up after this jerk's dog.....btw....we don't own a dog....so piicking up after someone else's dog is quite frustrating.....so far there hasn't been anything to pick up since the fence went up.....i don't care if this fence stays up forever.....or until, if we're lucky, this jerk moves.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

At least you know who's dog it is. I have several cats pooping in my front yard and only one of my neighbors owns a cat.