Honored Contributor

Re: Need your help! How to wash or clean porch columns

I would use Oxi-Clean (the powder) mixed in a bucket of warm water.  Wipe the pillars down with a large sponge or rag soaked in the solution, then hose them off.

Esteemed Contributor

thank you, everyone, who has offered these suggestions. I don't own a power washer, so I guess I'll need to "be my own power washer." LOL.....I sense a trip to Lowes or Home Depot in my near future....I knew this would be a great place to ask for help! You folks are great! thank you.

Respected Contributor

If they were vinyl I would spray them with scrubbing bubbles then hose them down gently.   people can give better answers if they know what they are.

Esteemed Contributor

if anybody is still reading this, i think they might be wood, but i am not sure.....i knkw theyre not vinyl or brick.

Trusted Contributor

@Goldengate8361  You're welcome! The people at Home Depot or Lowe's will be able to answer any questions you may have about mixing up the TSP and water. I use a bucket and sponge. It's really no biggie, honestly. Like I said, just wear rubber gloves. It cleans everything really well! I've previously wasted my time using other cleaners without good results until I learned about this. Now, it's once and done. I'm sure everything will look so nice and clean after you're done. 👍

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

thank you, everyone, who has offered these suggestions. I don't own a power washer, so I guess I'll need to "be my own power washer." LOL.....I sense a trip to Lowes or Home Depot in my near future....I knew this would be a great place to ask for help! You folks are great! thank you.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Valued Contributor

I wash my vinyl siding, porch posts/rails, and fence every year with ArmorAll Car Wash Concentrate. Great results! You mix it in a bucket of warm water - I use 1/4 cup per 2 gallons. I have a long-handled gadget with a polishing bonnet, but you can use a sponge. Work bottom to top so any dirty drips run into an already wet surface to prevent streaking. Then rinse top to bottom with a hose.