Honored Contributor

Re: Need to vent big time - kinda long

Ah what the heck:

Image result for sheldon in my spot

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@Deree LOL I loved your comment....I would beat the stuffing outa someone who took my chicken too LOLOL!

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3: Does she REALLY have a perk? And why isn't there a sign there?

Regular Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@suzyQ3 

Common Law is based on established behavior.

In a grocery store, you don't  own your cart or the groceries you put in your cart until they are checked out and you have paid for them. There is no law that someone can't  take the last rotisserie chicken from your cart but it's established that, once in someone's cart, it's theirs. 

I suppose there are those who would just let it go if some entitled person took their chicken from their cart. They would smile at them and be cordial. 

Well stated, @occasionalrain Heart

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Coupla things she could do: 

Get a Handicap pass from the doctor

Arrive at work early enough to grab the space

Retire-remember she is old by her definiation

@Group 5 minus 1   This really ticks me off.  She is not disabled.  She has a "perk" for being a long time employee. 

My DH and my DS have permanent disabilities and nothing irritates me more than people saying something like this-she's only 61, hardly Methuselah.

The more I read this thread it is clear that the resentment is more about a younger employee who "goos" all over the men and "you ladies know the type".

Get over it.  The OP hasn't returned to explain if there is a sign nor has she returned to say that the situation has been resolved.

Next the newbie will be accused of taking her stapler or not refilling the coffee pot.

It's a parking space.  This story reeks.

@Cakers3,I agree with all of this.  100%!

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1   This really ticks me off.  She is not disabled.  She has a "perk" for being a long time employee. 

My DH and my DS have permanent disabilities and nothing irritates me more than people saying something like this-she's only 61, hardly Methuselah.

The more I read this thread it is clear that the resentment is more about a younger employee who "goos" all over the men and "you ladies know the type".

Get over it.  The OP hasn't returned to explain if there is a sign nor has she returned to say that the situation has been resolved.

Next the newbie will be accused of taking her stapler or not refilling the coffee pot.

@Group 5 minus 1  What Doctor would give her a handicap pass? She didn't say she was handicapped.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stray wrote:

Often there are unofficial rules or practices in companies that have no legal merit, more a custom.  Then, new employees are introduced to a firm and they may object to these practices and deem them unfair.  If the parking space is not reserved or assigned to you, it's not yours.   Maybe other employees resent this preferential treatment & she is acting out on behalf of them.   I worked 30 years at my last job and was 70 upon retirement.  I was healthy and commuted from NJ to NY; I had no special accommodation due to age or longevity nor would I expect or want one. If you have a disability, request an ADA accommodation.   I, quite frankly, think reserved parking based on length of employment is very unfair to others.  

So what other perks based on length of employment are unfair - a better desk location, a window, more leave, etc. etc.

I don't see the difference.  And frankly I don't think it's up to new employees to decide that such perks are something they should object to and deem "unfair."

You might want to listen to Elena Kagen laughing about when she was the junior member of the Supreme Court - responsible for answering the door when they were in closed session - and serving on the cafeteria committee.  This is life - get a grip.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

IMO if the OP pushes this, she will end up looking like the "bad guy" and it won't end well for her.

She'll be perceived as that "mean old lady who dislikes younger women".

@Love my grandkids Which is a great tactic "young ladies" use to gain attention and shove old ladies out of their jobs. 

And it's perfectly fine and acceptable because women deserve being favored in employment now don't they? 

Then they can turn around and accuse the men who favored them and protected them of hitting on them and get their jobs too.

Let the bashing begin, but it happens.  

Honored Contributor

I re-read the 0P and from the behavior of the new hire, ignoring and not speaking to the OP, that followed the OP speaking to her supervisor, it would seem her supervisor told the new hire to stay out of those three parking spaces.

I'm not surprised but I am pleased. If a person isn't  willing to defend their rights/perks, they don't deserve to have them.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1  What Doctor would give her a handicap pass? She didn't say she was handicapped.

Yes.  If she truly needed one, she would have it.  And she'd be parking in a handicap space rather than a "seniority" one.  She certainly would have said if she had a handicap.  All she said is that she's 61, which isn't old and doesn't automatically mean she has mobility or other issues.