Respected Contributor

Re: Need to vent big time - kinda long

I guess I would also ask, which one would be perceived as the bigger person by both management and peers: a person who agonizes over/focuses on an unassigned parking spot or a person who lets it go/views it as trivial and extends an olive branch? IMO a parking space is not worth the stress it creates.

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@Cakers3 . You are so spot on in how you have assessed the situation. I find it amusing that this one post has generated 10 pages of comments when the OP has not come back and clarified her original post. Her post did not state that there was a sign reserving this spot for her. Companies cause these situations when they tell someone that this is her/his parking space but they do not place a sign stipulating this. I am willing to bet that this will not end favorably if the OP pushes it and the other employee also pushes the issue. Management will most likely wash their hands of this and say it is first come first serve. Good managers do not want to have the office go to war over a parking space. Unless someone is handicapped and needs an up close space it is not necessary to have a permanently reserved space. Just causes problems. But like Cakers said  a reserved space for "Employee of the month" makes more sense. 

@50MickeyStill waiting to find out if a sign indicated reserved spaces.

I still believe the negativity against this younger woman would not have happened if she had never taken that space.

Sometimes the seasoned employees resent younger newbies, space or no space.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Super Contributor

Sometimes people can push your buttons on purpose. Which it sounds like she's doing. I just feel like unless your management marks the spots or puts out a policy or set of rules then it's a free for all. I know you feel with senority you deserve the perk but unfortunately todays workplace seldom shows respect for your tenure. Good luck but try to let it go. If the guys at work already like her it could cause people to take sides and it's not worth it. 

Honored Contributor

IMO if the OP pushes this, she will end up looking like the "bad guy" and it won't end well for her.

She'll be perceived as that "mean old lady who dislikes younger women".

Respected Contributor

I'm going to take a wild guess that the supervisor spoke to the new employee which is why she snubbed the OP.  I'm curious how many employees park in the more distant lot out of respect for the 3 long-time employees or the unwritten perks.  That they do that speaks to the honor code about it.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

to the OP: yes, even though it bothers you, you're probably making a little too much of it, especially tattling to the boss.

Let it go. Ignore her digs and when she sees you don't react, she'll eventually give up.

SOMEONE needs to be the grown-up here and I guess you're elected.

@GoneButNotForgotten Ignore her and she will take your job.  The OP has to take some action, but I'm not sure what that is because it depends on the bosses and the dynamics of the employees.  But ignore someone like this and they WILL push the OP and others out of the nest.

I have seen it WAY too many times.  I could write a book about how it works. I have seen them do something like this, cozy up to everyone else in the office, especially management, and root that person out.

Does this newcomer's job be one that is in line to take the OP's position?  A question that is essential to this discussion.

Honored Contributor

This thread is 11 pages long, and the OP hasn't been back since she wrote it yesterday.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

This thread is 11 pages long, and the OP hasn't been back since she wrote it yesterday.

@NickNack Who cares?  We're having fun discussing it!  

Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

This seems like a lot of foolishness to me.
Trusted Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

I believe these "long time perks" must be established. Have they been?

All the other employees seem to be aware of them as they don't park in her space.