Respected Contributor

Re: Need to vent big time - kinda long

She seems pretty aggressive.  She's probably deciding whose job she will take next.

Esteemed Contributor

Agree, a tricky situation . I would say no more and just be cordial to her as is proper in the workplace. If you want to park in the front spots, make sure you arrive really early and park there since it sounds that the overall parking lot rules are 1st come 1st serve on parking . I would not say any more  because some small things nowadays can be spun into Hostile work environment  EEOC complaints . I would tread lightly since  it is "just an unwritten benefit that  senior employees  are allowed the front parking spaces ". This may have floated  20 yrs ago but  in today's  environment  it's a  calamity waiting to happen.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain But the space is not reserved for the OP, so it's not "her" space unless management deems it so.

Honored Contributor

Unless your name is on a sign at the parking spot or it was assigned to you by management, it's not yours. Being 61 is not a reason to have a special parking spot either.  

If you want to make sure you get it, come to work 10 minutes early.  Problem solved.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's her space, has been for years and she should just let it go and, not only that, be cordial to her? 

I can't believe anyone would just walk away, just let it go and then be cordial toward her. 

Honored Contributor

@cookinfreak 

As long as she stays out of your space, I would drop it.  If you push it with management they might re-think, or think you are being Petty.

Don’t let her pass you by without speaking to you again.  Just give her a big smile 😃 and speak real nice to her every time you see her, and keep on going.  

Sorry this happened, sometimes it’s the little things that really sting. 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

the way I read this is that the new employee has been told not to park in those 3 spaces  that are a perk for the 3 women who have been with the company the longest and now is just miffed and full of herself

to me her telling the OP that she "forgot" the OP spoke to her about the parking spaces or thought she saw the OP's car parked somewhere else  just shows what kind of employee she actually is

I think a lot of companies give parking places as perks but don't necessarily have them marked

Super Contributor

@cookinfreak wrote:

Been working at my job for 12+ yrs. Everyone gets along for the most part. Three of us women here have parking spots close to the front of the business. The others park in a lot which is not huge and not that far away. The 3 of us who park there are because it's a perk for us for being here so long and also I am 61 yrs old, and that is part of it also. We had a younger lady start who has a very high opinion of herself and goos all over the men. I'm sure a lot of you ladies know the type. One day, I get to work, she is parked in my spot. This happened several times, so I finally told her what the situation is. She totally agreed that was fair and that it made sense. Get to work the next day-there she is in my spot. (She did park in one of the other spots several times also, so not just mine) Brought it up to her again and she said she didn't remember me saying anything about the spots. Got to work the next day and she is parked in my spot but she swore up and down she thought my car was parked and that she saw me in the building. (You can't see me at my desk from outside). That was Fri. She didn't work yesterday as her kids were home from school for the holiday. She came in today and didn't say a word to me but one of the guys was my my desk, she walked  by so is right in front of my desk and she says "Good Morning Keith". Has not spoken to me all day (which is really fine. I lived a long time without her approval and don't need it now). So she is basically pouting because she didn't get her way.

I did speak to my supervisor and just said "All I asked her was to respect what the rules are". 

Am I taking this too far? I only have a few more years til I retire. I really don't need this kind of ****** now.

TIA

cookin

No, you're not.  You mentioned she parked in your spot several times. She's either  trying to get under your nerves intentionally or she's just a dumb ditz.  I wouldn't play her game but would speak to my supervisor again.  It's up to the supervisor to enforce the "rules."

Esteemed Contributor

Since the parking spots are not officially reserved for you, you are not right to get upset over someone else taking a spot. You should try being nice to her....You sound overly judgmental to me. Try seeing a nice side of her....women should try to support other women in the workplace. Besides, it is ONLY a parking spot. It isn't worth being catty.

Trusted Contributor

I feel for you.  This new employee is very aggressive.  Other employees have been there longer than her and they've respected that the 3 of you have earned the close parking spots.  Why does she think that she can park there?  The other employees haven't pulled this stunt.

But don't let her bait you.  Stay professional, courteous and pleasant towards her.  Don't give HER any ammunition to use against you.  (It's hard to do when you really just want to slap her silly.)

I am soooo very glad to be retired.  It's not the work that gets you down, it's this kind of cr*p!

Hang in there and good luck.