Trusted Contributor

Re: Need to vent big time - kinda long

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, management needs to back you up on your "perk" either by marking the spot or sending a memo to staff.  I don't see any other way of informing this woman, who IMO is looking to take what she wants.

If the two of you don't work directly together and don't need to have contact in the workplace then I wouldn't bother with her at all.... unless you think she will play up to the bosses to get her way.  I worked in all kinds of places in my life and believe me, troublemakers can cause all kinds of trouble in very devious ways.

ETA:  Can you change your work hours by 1/2 hour so you can get to the space first?

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Valued Contributor

Thank you big time for reminding me how THRILLED I am to be retired (at age 64 and 3 months) in Jan. 2020.

When I managed people, we were lucky to have training/seminars on the different types.  One type (which is the young woman you're referring to) is the type that 'pretends' to hear you but does what she wants anyway.  I happened to have a lady who was older than me who did this.  _______, please close your teller window when you're finished waiting on that member and go to lunch."  Ten minutes later I am in my office finishing up on a call and see her STILL waiting on people.  When I asked her, she said "there was a line."  Um...........ok.  I reply, "YOU don't get to make that decision - we need you to go when we tell you so we can keep the tellers on track for their lunches".  She was a pain (her former boss told me this too and I thought "why didn't YOU take care of this".)  When I kept holding her accountable, she ended up leaving for another branch and then getting fired. 

In your case, I don't know - it depends on whether this is just an unspoken privilege for you three to park close or not.  The supervisor should be involved if indeed this is the first person to do this.  "_______, so I wanted to ask, were you aware of the parking spots here?  1 2 and 3 receive that benefit because of "fill in the blank".  Now the other question is, when one of you aren't there, does another employee park in your spot?  Or is this young woman the first person to ever do this?  

The thing is - it's either a big deal or it isn't.  If she's 'TESTING' you, (or her supervisor) then if she gets away with it, it sets a precedent for something else to happen.  And trust me, everyone else is watching to see how this will play out.  

I managed many employees in my 20+ years of being a manager and believe me I had a lot of people who loved to TEST me.  

Let us know how this comes out.  

Honored Contributor

@cookinfreak   Make sure you get to work before her and get your "spot."  Unless management has made it clear that it is your "spot" you have no case.  Sorry!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cookinfreak   Oh, I know the type.  Insecure and try to put you down so they feel better about themselves.  I am glad I am retired because those types are everywhere.  She does sound like a real b______.  If she did it again I would let her know how disrespectful she is and immature.  Grow up and just do your job, lame brain.  I am surprised that she doesn't wear tight tops and low cut. I hope you can retire at 62.  i sure do not miss any of that office junk.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@cookinfreak , I feel your pain but unless the spots are assigned, I would not engage further with her.  You could be setting yourself up for a big fall.  I also wonder if there might be unspoken resentment from some other employees about the parking situation so you could be on shaky ground.  Have you had vocal support from others in the office?  

Make a choice how big you want this issue to get.  I say you made your point.  If you press the issue and lose the argument it might be worse than walking a little further to the office door.

I managed a large operating division in a vertically integrated company.  The issues I hated most related to office/workspace allocation, windows and parking.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

For a very long time at work I was a fighter for justice and it was an up hill battle. I could write volumes about all that I did  for my co-workers and for myself.  As a result I was often stressed and angry but thankfully it never interfered with the work I did.that was kept separate.

It took me a long time to realize while fighting for justice in the work place was my choice, I also wanted to be healthy and since I worked to live, not lived to work, I let go.  I felt better as time went by and didn't allow people to get to me. You feel better when you do this.  It's OK to vent but move forward also.

Trusted Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

For a very long time at work I was a fighter for justice and it was an up hill battle. I could write volumes about all that I did  for my co-workers and for myself.  As a result I was often stressed and angry but thankfully it never interfered with the work I did.that was kept separate.

It took me a long time to realize while fighting for justice in the work place was my choice, I also wanted to be healthy and since I worked to live, not lived to work, I let go.  I felt better as time went by and didn't allow people to get to me. You feel better when you do this.  It's OK to vent but move forward also.

^^THIS.  

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

Unless management has designated the spots as reserved- they are fair game.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with Carmie and I feel the OP's pain...hopefully after telling her several times, she gets the hint.  Why can a new employee come in and upset the apple cart?

Years ago I worked for a company and we were expected to work on Saturday until ALL work was done.  This employee always left early, nothing was ever said to her and everyone resented her...even the bosses were mum....we all just fumed when she would walk out the door early.

Honored Contributor

Could it be that she has some type of memory loss?  

Age doesn't matter.  I've seen it happening somewhat often in middle-aged women.  

Maybe too much on her plate, so to speak.

Anyway, is there a way to paint the parking spot, or have a small sign installed with your first name.?

Seriously, at first thought, could be a memory problem.

Is she having trouble at work remembering 'this and that'?

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).