Regular Contributor

Re: Need to vent about neighbor

Our HOA is kind of on the softer side, and it takes awhile for anything to happen.  Our dues are only $50.00 a year-cheap-and 2 of the families just refuse to pay.  The HOA FINALLY, years later, contacted an attorney and put a lien on their houses and the one family just then paid a portion of the owed money.  Funny thing is-we now have to vote for the HOA to continue and  will need signature of the majority.  My neighbor has already let it known that he would like to have chickens!  Now, that would be fine if I didn't hear them and if he took proper care of them but I am sure they will be over in my yard too....or eaten by the coyotes, foxes, bobcats we have.  And the HOA isn't even with their decisions, i.e. someone parked a boston whaler type boat in their front yard for years until they moved and someone else built a shed w/o approval.  The HOA said something to the guy w/the shed but nothing about the boat.....I don't get it.  Sometimes it seems like the HOA would rather just talk behind someone's back instead of having the guts to confront the problem straight away.  

And since we live out of town we don't have any township rules, no leash laws, no burning laws, etc. 

DON'T WORRY-I WON'T HARM THE DOG!

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz  Designated pig area!  ROFLMAO!!  Seconded!

Respected Contributor

I have one just like him next door to me. 

Honored Contributor

If te situation isn't remedied in 10 days write to your HOA informing that unless the neighbor's property is brought into compliance in 10 days you will file against the HOA. They accept payment and are required to enforce the rules.

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately many very rural HOAs charge almost nothing in fees, and they don’t enforce a thing. The situation likely won’t improve, and these rural HOAs do not have the funds to enforce anything in court. Can you put up with them the rest of your lives? If not, sadly, I’d start looking elsewhere. And no, it isn’t right.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mj12wrote:

Unfortunately many very rural HOAs charge almost nothing in fees, and they don’t enforce a thing. The situation likely won’t improve, and these rural HOAs do not have the funds to enforce anything in court. Can you put up with them the rest of your lives? If not, sadly, I’d start looking elsewhere. And no, it isn’t right.

The fact that they are going to vote on the continuation of the HOA is a good indication that there is no longer interest in having one.  Many new developments start out with them, however as time goes by they are disbanded.  Unless there is a management company involved (with much higher fees), most do not have much power.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

I would notify the HOA that if nothing is done within a stated (by you) amount of time that you will stop paying fees and report the HOA to the city or county or whomever would be appropriate in your area. 

Then I would notify the county (or whomever) commissioner's office and make them aware.

My HOA is very lenient, but they would file a lein in a second if things were that bad.

Good Luck!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Respected Contributor

Never contacted my HOA but I think that is/was the right thing to do in your case....hope it works.  

In our neighborhood several people are "freeloaders" and we live in a nice subdivision...for some reason for yrs they thought they could get away with not paying the dues.  They are not high....400.00 and some yrs lower 300.00 per yr.  It was part of the agreement when you were having your home built in this area.  The HOA has put liens on many of these freeloaders and many have paid up...was the only way.  I don't understand this behavior?  WHY do you make a agreement and then say everyone else can pay but not me??

These are adults...not kids buying these new expensive homes....I don't understand that kind of thinking.  I would be embarrassed to my core if someone had to take me to court to pay a bill I owed!  

We have a neighbor that for some reason let's their cat "free roam" and it is all over my property in my bushes, patio and so on.  Husband nearly ran it over in the drive way at 5am trying to go to work!  It wanted to come in our house cause they just let it roam and closed the garage door.  They leave about a foot open for this cat to roam all day and night.  I am out front doing yard work and it comes flying out of bushes.  In here your pet is to be on your property and on a tie out as there are no fences unless you have a pool.  I saw the last meeting had a animal topic on it and am hoping others already complained about this and I won't be seeing this cat prowling around my home all the time.  It almost got in my home several times as my son's go out our side door in the evening and it's right there and it freaks them out.  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14wrote:

@Nightowlz  Designated pig area!  ROFLMAO!!  Seconded!

@Laura14 LOL!!! Sometimes that's just the way I feel. 

I tried to give you more then 1 heart but it would not let me. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pegsue: I really feel for you. Although I do not live where there is a HOA, we do have local ordinances. I have filed complaints with animal control over a neighbor who constantly lets his dog roam the 'hood. We have gone to court multiple times. He has no remorse, just lame excuses. He has been levied hundreds of dollars in fines. He just postponed the latest court date from Feb. to March and I still saw the dog out in my yard last Saturday!

There are at least two adults and an 18 year old son living in that house, and no one can walk the dog?! They could have installed a fence for what they have paid in fines- and yes, they paid. Cannot leave court without a receipt for payment. I have a dog who goes nuts when he sees that dog in our yard.

Wish I had an answer or a solution for you.