Regular Contributor

DH and I live in a rual area, a subdivision out of town that has an HOA.  All of the lots range from 2.5 acres - 4 and wooded lots. About 1 1/2-2 years ago a new family moved in right across from us-dad, stay at home mom and 7 kids that range now from a month old up to 16.  Every one else in the neighborhood manages to be able to keep their yards and houses up and they kind of did-at the beginning.  They rarely mow grass and when they do it is too tall, and it's mowed in days and he blows the clippings out into the street.  Leaves are same way.  Toys and other items are constantly strewn about the yard-all of that I've looked over but now they have a trailer with a pile of junk in front, another pile of junk on the other side of the house and the railings off the side of the porch-they let them get in disrepair for some time and now they have fallen down and the railings are where they fell.  It looks terrible.  We live in a nice subdivision and nobody else's yard or house looks like that.  I feel like enough is enough.

I had to talk to them awhile back as they have a dog that they just let run loose, even though there is an electric fence.  Their dog would come over to my house-she's scratched up my front door, window and pushed in our window screens trying to visit my dogs, and I caught her diggin in the back to get into my back yard fence when my dogs are out there.  At first I thought that problem was taken care of-he apologized, put the collar back on the dog but come to find out when he knows we are at work or gone he leaves it off of the dog.  Grrrrrr.  

I did email our HOA president about it and he said he would draft up an email and send it to them w/o naming us.....gosh I hope it works.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need to vent about neighbor

i can sympathize with you.....i must have his clone living next door to me....

Respected Contributor

I feel for you!  I’ve had neighbors not being too neat but not as bad as you describe.  In addition to the HOA have you checked your local township’s rules?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I understand your frustration. I hope the HOA President takes care of the situation sooner rather than later.

Honored Contributor

Let's hope your HOA has the you know what to enforce their covenants.  I don't know what is wrong with people thinking they don't live in a world with others.  Pick a side of the mountain if you want to live like that. (Insert bad word for your neighbors here) 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because of inappropriate comment

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14wrote:

Let's hope your HOA has the you know what to enforce their covenants.  I don't know what is wrong with people thinking they don't live in a world with others.  Pick a side of the mountain if you want to live like that. (Insert bad word for your neighbors here) 

@Laura14 ITA. If people want to live like pigs designate a pig area in town for all of them to live in instead of scattering them in all housing areas. LOL!!! 

Most of those here live on the east side of town. You have those that move over to the west side & think they can get away with leaving garbage outside their house, not mowing, parking in the yard etc all of which is not allowed. If you move over here & do that I will turn you in to the City.

Honored Contributor

I would be cordial to them when you see one another. You never know if  people are going to become spiteful, if they think you reported them

You could end up with more than messy neighbors ,if this happens.

Good luck

Esteemed Contributor

That's one of the benefits of living in a HOA. The first sign of that nonsense should have been brought up a your HOA Annual Meeting and addressed with the homeowner. Unfortunately, the neglect has apparently been going on for several years and the homeowner now knows no one is going to do anything.

The HOA President needs a backbone and must take steps to ensure the entire neighborhood is kept up to the standards set forth in the original guidelines. Would suggest your HOA begin hiring a lawn service and charging the homeowner (after giving them are 30-60 day legal notice). Do the same type of notice with the required repairs needed on the outside of the home, which may take longer due to their financial status.

Cannot imagine living across from such an unsightly mess. Wish you the best in your endeavors to work with the HOA and your neighbor to achieve a workable solution.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

Have you also contacted your code enforcement department in your town (that is what it is called in our town)? Downed railings could be a safety issue with the house. Trash and debrie could attract rats and mice. Storing a large trailer could be against town regulations...unlawful residence.  Give them a chance to clean up their act once notified by the HOA. If the neighbors don't, then check with the town and its' ordinances. Good luck!