Honored Contributor

Re: Need to find a cleaning person, need ideas.

I've never had anyone I know clean my house.  I have had three cleaning ladies over the years and they were all strangers when they started because I wanted professionals.  Women who actually did that type of work for a living, not someone who was just wanted to make a few bucks.   If I were you, I would start with friends or neighbors.  Ask them to ask their cleaning lady if she is open to new client or if she knows anyone who is accepting new clients.  That's how I found our first one,  she cleaned for the family across the street.  I found the second on Craig's List and the one I have now listed her services in the local paper.  When I interviewed her, I found out that she cleans many homes and apartments in our complex.  There agencies like Merry Maids but I just assumed they would be too expensive.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have asked friends and the couple of neighbors whose input I trust.  One friend told me the women she knew who used to do cleaning have stopped.

I'm going to try a friend in the town 12 miles from me although I don't know if anyone travels 24 miles round trip to clean.  Another downside to living in a rural area.

If I understand correctly you have to be invited for the next door thing.  What if you don't know anyone in the first place?  I did call my one sister-in-law and asked if she knew anything about it and dead silence.  She never heard of it.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

here is the link

https://nextdoor.com/choose_address/

"Enter your address to get started.To ensure privacy, address verification is required."
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45   Thanks.   I signed up and guess what,  I am the 1st and only one from my "neighborhoood".  Oh  Dear God I do live in East Podunk.

I called Merry Maids, it rang and rang.  Machine picked up, they are not there at the moment.

It's a sign.  lol

Valued Contributor

There's a Russian/Polish market in my So. Florida neighborhood.  They have a bulletin board with business cards of people in all kinds of professions including cleaning.  I asked the owner if she could recommend a cleaning person, and she gave me a couple of numbers.  They are fantastic!!  I work for a company that builds and remodels, so we often need cleaners.  Every recommendation from that market has been excellent!!

Honored Contributor

My elderly father was very happy with the services of Merry Maids.  The lady who used to clean for him even came to his visitation.

Honored Contributor

I strongly suggest you try to hire someone who is already cleaning for a close friend or a family member you know and trust, or go thru an established agency that does background checks and drug testing.   

In the months since my husbands amputation procedure, we have had a lot of people in and out of this house providing needed services.   We had a very serious incident with one person who was sent here, so you must be careful about who comes into your home!

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Check out Maid Pro.  Check out their location site to determine if they do business in your state and/or county........

COPY PASTE LINK---->maidpro.com/locations/

===============

FWIW......

Depending on the size of hour home/apt, most housekeeping companies will send 2-4 persons to clean.

The size of your home/apt also determines the price.

The price does NOT change if you want them to do something "extra."

You can request that you want the same cleaners for each cleanings.

On the first visit, the cleaning "supv" will have a check list clip board w/your name on it.  You tell them what YOU want done in each room for every cleaning.  The "supv" will check her co-workers work to double check everything was done to YOUR specification.  Then he/she will have YOU check. 

If you are not satisfied, the company will clean your house again for FREE at YOUR convenience!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

Reputable cleaning companies are all bonded and insured.  I would call one of them first.  

@Mj12   Agree. 

Angie's List and Home Advisor are great places to start researching for top-rated companies and individual cleaners.

@Cakers3 I totally agree with Angie's List.  All of those members have lots of references, and people who hire them can go to the site and leave a review.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

MY MIL needs someone to help clean her house since she's 89 now. 

When my SIL's were in town they told DH they needed to find someone but they were going back home & did not have time to meet them etc. They left it on DH's plate. He has not looked because he also has a life & no time for that. They should have taken care of it before they left. DH is not her only child & he should not be left to do it all.

I already found someone to do her yard work for her since the guy DH found for her quit doing her yard after they asked him to do his sisters yard & tore up his lawnmower.

His sisters think we are suppose to take care of it all. Sorry but we cannot do it all. 

I would do it if I could turn the AC on & leave it running non-stop like I do in my own home but that's not happening because she's always cold. I'm not doing housework in someomes home when it's almost 100° outside & over 80° inside. My AC is on 72° & I turn it down lower & let it run until I'm finished cleaning.

Just like her Will. Her attorney listed she wanted to be creamated which is not true. It's also her fault for not reading it before she signed it. They never have bothered to get that corrected???