Honored Contributor

Re: Need suggestions for gift of food

[ Edited ]

edible arrangements is a good company.......they can be picked up or delivered and come in many sizes. they look good and taste good. there is NEVER anything wasted. pricey, but worth it.

wolfermans and williams-sonoma also have great breakfast basket ideas. sweets, english muffins, croissants.....and more......with nice preserves, jams, honey. you might want to look at their websites for some ideas.

i also order fresh fruits from pittman and davis. they are great and if there are ANY problems once it arrives they take care of it by sending out a new box or basket.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

At this time of year, I'd order locally from a grocery store or bakery.  With the heat and humidity some fruit turns mushy and moldy.  Truthfully those baskets are so ridiculously overpriced.  Any time we've received fruit it needed to be tossed within a few days.

Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining

If she has Peapod in her area, you could get her a gift certificate and she could pick out the perishables that they need after getting stuff dropped off from friends/coworkers.

http://www.peapod.com/

Respected Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

We have a local florist who makes up fruit baskets.  They will put cheese/crackers, chocolates, gourmet cookies, etc. in with them.  You can also request certain things for the basket as well (i.e.  a particular brand of crackers,cheese, etc.).  They will also add a couple different kinds of caramel dip for the apples that are in the basket too.

Good idea! I can go online to her city and see if there's a local resource to do something like that and then I could make some calls.

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

edible arrangements is a good company.......they can be picked up or delivered and come in many sizes. they look good and taste good. there is NEVER anything wasted. pricey, but worth it.

wolfermans and williams-sonoma also have great breakfast basket ideas. sweets, english muffins, croissants.....and more......with nice preserves, jams, honey. you might want to look at their websites for some ideas.

i also order fresh fruits from pittman and davis. they are great and if there are ANY problems once it arrives they take care of it by sending out a new box or basket.

Thank you, sunshine. I'm not familiar with Pittman and Davis, so that's another possibility.

Respected Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

At this time of year, I'd order locally from a grocery store or bakery.  With the heat and humidity some fruit turns mushy and moldy.  Truthfully those baskets are so ridiculously overpriced.  Any time we've received fruit it needed to be tossed within a few days.

That's one of my major concerns!!! They would love some really nice fruit but it spoils so quickly!!!

Respected Contributor

@betteb wrote:

I like shoptilyadropagain, kdgn and Lola's ideas.

Yes, now I want some goodies for myself!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I've always gone to my local floral shop to send food baskets to out of state residents.  It's cheaper & safer than ordering online.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Silver Lining

If she has Peapod in her area, you could get her a gift certificate and she could pick out the perishables that they need after getting stuff dropped off from friends/coworkers.

http://www.peapod.com/

I just checked for Peapod and it is available where she lives. I'll look into it and the other suggestions from everyone.

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I've always gone to my local floral shop to send food baskets to out of state residents.  It's cheaper & safer than ordering online.

l hadn't thought about a floral shop sending anything but plants and floral arrangements until reading all these great suggestions. Price and security are important considerations, too.