Valued Contributor

Need suggestions for an 11 year old girl's birthday from Grandma & Grandpa HELP!!

Like most kids nearly 11, she has a boatload of electronic things , does not like reading, so what do you  get a almost tween? 

Thanks for your thoughts/suggestions (we are both elderly and cannt take her places,  so this makes it doubly hard).

Honored Contributor

Re: Need suggestions for an 11 year old girl's birthday from Grandma & Grandpa HELP!!

gift card to her favorite store......or the local mall.

a purse/handbag.

earrings, necklace, or bracelet in silver or gold......pandora bracelets or necklaces with charms that can be customized and added onto are nice.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Re: Need suggestions for an 11 year old girl's birthday from Grandma & Grandpa HELP!!

does she like clothes?

I recently found this on ETSY:

IMG_9264.PNG

Amazon also has some with this type of saying and the gift would be easier to return if it doesn't got correctly.

I have friends on Facebook with grands and try to keep up on kids fashion this way.

HTH

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Do you live near her?  If so, even if you can't get around much, but, if you can get out a little, I'd try to do something that is a joint activity.  Are there any paint your own ceramics places nearby?  That's an easy, and non-strenuous activity that you can do together, and she'd take home a souvenir of the experience.  Or even lunch and a movie?  

Does she have any interests?  I was invited to a bat mitzvah... 13 year old girl.  She's an equestrian, and I bought her a wonderful silver pendant of a dressage horse, along with a chain.  I'd find out her interests .... art?  craft?  sports?  .... and purchase something meaningful with respect to those interests.

You could go the gift card route, but while it might be appreciated, it will be fleeting, and won't build memories.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

What girl doesn't like plain old $$$$  CASH    $$$$$$

I don't know if she'll appreciate it or not but there's a Happy Birthday 2017 coin available from the US Mint  and from the US Engraved site (where they print our money) there's a special birthday item on there too.  All legititimate sites directly from our government.

I liked that kind of stuff because my grandma and grandpa always gave me some type of coin or bills in sequence or anything cool like that but I haven't been a tween in awhile....

Super Contributor

How about an Alex and Ani Bracelet......

Super Contributor

My granddaughter just turned twelve and I struggle finding gifts she will like each time her birthday/xmas comes around.  Recently, I've been asking her for suggestions. 

Here are some ideas I've used - a carrying case for her laptop, horseback riding summer camp, card for music downloads, makeup kits (she likes to play with putting on makeup), clothes from Justice (a popular girl's store). 

I would like to get her a Pandora bracelet, but she doesn't seem interested.  Perhaps not quite old enough.  Good luck to you!

Honored Contributor

I'm going to go with cash. Money is always welcome for kids this age, they can buy what they like. My mom switched to cash for gifts at about that age. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom ... Eleven year olds can vary so much in maturity. We have two nieces in that age range. They are cousins. One is still very much a child. The other is 11 going on 25. I'd give a gift card or money.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Valued Contributor

I don't know if the "electronic things" are Apple or not, but at this age, I buy iTunes gift cards...the kids like to use them for music and games.
I know you are probably looking for something that gets her OFF the electronics, but kids at this age like their music, even if they are doing something else.

You can also get discounted gift cards at Cardpool dot com.