Honored Contributor

Re: Need suggestion for washer and dryer set

Love my LG top loading set, no agitator.  I do rinse twice.  No stain has come through.  DH and Shadow stay outside a lot (we don't put the dog in it, lol!!!), DH's clothes come out clean, though!

I've had it about a year.

Respected Contributor

This topic was discussed a little while back here on the Q forums.

I ordered a new Speed Queen, and it was just delivered this week.  The process took TWO months due to challenges in the factories because of more limited staff and production, shipping delays, installment schedules, and so forth, so I recommend planning ahead if you must have a certain brand.

DH insists on an agitator, and I like top load.  Speed Queen always comes in at the top of all consumer reviews, but they are a bit costly.  They have more metal parts, while other brands feature plastic.  They are also made in the USA and are very reliable.

Valued Contributor

I hate my Speed Queen set - and it will probably last forever. LOL Bought based on prior recommendations here. The water stops filling when you open the top-loading lid, and I would like to be able to rinse my detergent cap. Also, the "normal" cycle is water-saving so I end up using perma press for towels and sheets (heavy duty is overkill). The dryer lint trap is in the sill inside the door and not covered. If you open the door without stopping the dryer first, the clothes tumble into the lint. That's my two cents.
Respected Contributor

I like my top loader Maytags. No fancy computer

Honored Contributor

I just wanted to add. At Disney they have free washers and dryers for the guests to use. They are all Speed Queens. I can not imagine how often they are used but it has got to be more than an average family. 

I have never seen one out of order or needing repair. So my husband hasn't a clue but I am insisting on a Speed Queen when I need a new washer.

I had a Maytag that lasted over 35 years. It developed a leak, wish I had the leak repaired rather than buy a new washer. My Whirlpool is disappointing.

Honored Contributor

@lynne6was7 wrote:
I hate my Speed Queen set - and it will probably last forever. LOL Bought based on prior recommendations here. The water stops filling when you open the top-loading lid, and I would like to be able to rinse my detergent cap. Also, the "normal" cycle is water-saving so I end up using perma press for towels and sheets (heavy duty is overkill). The dryer lint trap is in the sill inside the door and not covered. If you open the door without stopping the dryer first, the clothes tumble into the lint. That's my two cents.

@lynne6was7 

i have a sink near my washer and dryer so i have no issues with rinsing the detergent cap. my daughter though just throws her detergent cap in with the wash and recovers it when the clothes are done.

i dont know how old yours is, but i can use my normal cycle for towels and just change the water level as needed.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Maytag MTCs (the commercial line) are great no complaints. I also find I prefer the topload washer style without a central agitator.

ETA: On my dryer the lint trap comes out of the top of the unit. It's nowhere near the door. I really like that. I also like that the tops of the units are slightly sloped. You can't easily leave stuff stacked on top of there long term. Removes the temptation to leave something on top of the dryer, cluttering things up.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Occasional Contributor

Oh I am so happy to hear your complaint about the Speed Queen dryer and lint holder placement. During the lockdown our washing machine's motor broke and we decided to buy new set and were fortunate enough to do it online with our local appliance shop. He suggested Speed Queen as were in stock and could get them ASAP. Well I so agree with you that my clothes come tumbling out as soon as I open dryer door and I've been either picking out the lint or just wash again! Insanity I thought it was me as I cannot believe no one at the company ever complained or found this to be an issue!,,,

Valued Contributor

Whatever you decide, I would recommend you get the largest drum dryer you can get.  The one I have in Florida (GE) is large but the one at my mil's is small and takes twice as long to dry.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

My Maytag MTCs (the commercial line) are great no complaints. I also find I prefer the topload washer style without a central agitator.

ETA: On my dryer the lint trap comes out of the top of the unit. It's nowhere near the door. I really like that. I also like that the tops of the untis are slightly sloped. You can't easily leave stuff stacked on top of there long term. Removes the temptation to leave something on top of the dryer, cluttering things up.

Mine also doesn't have that agitator thing and I don't mind at all.  One thing is that I can just toss in the clothes and don't have to worry about it getting off kilter like I did with the old agitator type.  If I didn't have the clothing pretty perfectly even around it, it would go off center and try to jump out of the room.  Smiley Very Happy   

Before I always had Sears brand but in the last numerous years it seemed like Sears was disappearing so I was afraid that I would end up with appliances that had no support.

My GE units were made in the US, so that was nice.

Also, they are deeper than they used to be so if one isn't tall it's a stretch to reach the bottom.   Early on with the new ones, I actually got a rib fracture trying to pull out clothes from the bottom.  It was actually a freak accident because as I was bending over the machine, wearing an underwire bra, somehow I pressed the underwire into my ribs.  OUCH!

Being one always looking for a solution - what I did was grab one set of tongs in the kitchen that is a longer pair that I never use anyway (I have several not longer).   I put a hook on the wall near my washer and hang that longer set of tongs there so they are handy if I need to reach some socks or something in the bottom.   No more ouchy ribs!  (I'm like 5'4", if still that)