Honored Contributor

Need recommendations on SUV all wheel drive or Hatchback

DH and I are considering replacing our 2006 Honda CRV with either another SUV or a Hatchback.  We really like the CRV but it's nine years old and it may be time to trade up.  It may also be a good time of year to get a 2015 leftover.

Considering the following:

Honda CRV

Honda Crosstour

Ford Edge

Ford Escape

Any recommendations?

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Valued Contributor

Re: Need recommendations on SUV all wheel drive or Hatchback

Adore our GMC Terrain!

Frequent Contributor

For what it's worth, I just purchased a Mazda CX-5 and literally could not be happier with it! Good luck and hope you love your next vehicle!

Trusted Contributor

Take a look at a Subaru. All models are AWD and have been for years. 

Esteemed Contributor

If you are used to a Honda, I don't think you will be happy with a Ford.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

I own a Honda. You may want to check Consumer Reports before buying a new SUV.

Some news about the Crosstour. http://blog.caranddriver.com/long-suffering-honda-crosstour-given-sweet-release-killed-for-2016/

Trusted Contributor

Love my Subaru Crosstrek.

Respected Contributor

Recently bought our son a suburu forester. He loves it. He lives in the mts and likes having the AWD. 

We bought the mercedes M. I would not recomend it. It is a very stiff ride and not very comfy.

Esteemed Contributor

We leased a 2001 Escape and my wife loved it. We had it for close to 3 problem free years. It was not a 4-wheel drive and we realized during the winter months it was not suited for our rural roads to our home.

Ford Motor had a "0" interest rates on all their vehicles. Our lease was not up on our Escape, but since it was a Ford Motor vehicle, they would allow us out of the lease if we bought a Ford Motor vehicle.

For ourb1 way in 1 way out gravel road(hill going in/hill going out)we decided to go with the bigger All Wheel Drive Mercury Mountaineer. It sits higher of the ground because it is built on a "truck frame", as opposed to a much lower car frame. In real deep snow it is a real difference maker when it comes to getting what is called "high centered".

High Centered means the engine oil pan, or even the vehicles frame, gets stuck. This leaves the wheels unable to touch the ground, and even if they do, they cannot get enough traction to move the vehicle.

We love the 2004 Mountaineer and was not happy when Ford Motor discontinued their Mercury line of vehicles.While they still make the bigger Explorer SUV, they no longer are built on a "truck frame", thus not near as high off the ground.

If you live in an area such as my wife and myself, you definitely need a 4-wheel or All Wheel Drive.If you are at all concerned about driving in "real deep snow", you would be wise to consider the vehicle that sits higher off the ground.

Take a tape measure and compare the distance from the ground to the lowest part of the vehicle. Most times on an SUV that would be the Running Board. I personally got dowm on the ground and under the vehicle to make sure no part of the vehicle was lower than the Running Boards.

TMI?  Sorry, can't help myself!

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

We have a Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Off Road and we've really been happy with it, tough small truck.... we live out in the country and the weather gets very rough and we've been able to get through anything, go anywhere and get-out-of anywhere.  They are surprisingly a lot less than you think for a vehicle like this....  Woman LOL  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*